Rear adjust track bar or relocation bracket [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rear adjust track bar or relocation bracket

aldaman
12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Hello, (sorry meant to post this in the modified section)

I am looking into purchasing a 4" lift kit. The Kit comes with an adjustable front track bar and for the rear a relocation bracket w/cam bolts. I was reading previous threads where other members say that it is best to go with an adjustable rear track bar rather than using the supplied cam bolts. My question is, if I purchase the adjustable rear track bar, do I install that with the relocation bracket or forego installing the relocation bracket and just install the rear track bar onto the stock rear bracket ...Please advise, thank you...

RedRockJK
12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Toss the track bar bracket and use the adjustable track bar by itself. That's what I did on mine.

RotorHead
12-04-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm not an expert on this, but I think it depends on the design and quality of the relocation bracket. I was using an adjustable track bar without the relocation bracket on the rear and I didn't have any problems, but now I'm experimenting with using the Teraflex supplied relocation bracket and the stock track bar.

I just spent a little money on the front to level out the track bar and drag link to eliminate bump steer and stress on the components. It only makes since to me that I would want to try and level out the rear track bar also. The Teraflex track bar relocation bracket is a frame mount and so far I like it, but haven't wheeled it since installing.

Just be aware that the factory track bar mounts are soft and weak. You want to use a relocation bracket that reinforces these mounts and doesn't solely rely on the factory mounts to hold it.

PhilD
12-04-2007, 06:47 AM
What lift uses cam bolts on the track bar?

I have removed both my Superlift adjustable track bars and returned to the stock ones. The Heim joints on mine kept wearing and getting free play in them.

I use a Poly Performance track bar bracket on the front and a Teraflex on the rear.

venom
12-04-2007, 07:10 AM
FWIW - I just installed a BDS bracket on the rear and will prob go with a PP bracket up front.
Happy with the ride and handling now, so I figure adding the front bracket should only make it even better.
edit: well I was thinking I would use the PP bracket, but I just went and re-read and it requires the drag link flip kit, which requires the reamer for the passenger knuckle.
Getting awfully involved for a track bar bracket.
Will probably just throw on an adjustable bar and call it a day.

aldaman
12-04-2007, 06:49 PM

I have removed both my Superlift adjustable track bars and returned to the stock ones. The Heim joints on mine kept wearing and getting free play in them.

I use a Poly Performance track bar bracket on the front and a Teraflex on the rear.

I left out the details about the cam bolts, but they are for the lower front control arms...This brings up another question that instead of using the cam bolts, is it better to install the adjustable lower control arms for the front if so, what would be the appropriate degree / angle for the front drive shaft in relation to the pinion/pumpkin for a 4dr unlimited X...Thanks...

I Lean
12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I left out the details about the cam bolts, but they are for the lower front control arms...This brings up another question that instead of using the cam bolts, is it better to install the adjustable lower control arms for the front if so, what would be the appropriate degree / angle for the front drive shaft in relation to the pinion/pumpkin for a 4dr unlimited X...Thanks...

No matter what you use to adjust it, you need to get your caster adjusted to around 4.5 or 5 degrees or so. Adjustable control arms will do that for you, as would cam bolts--but I thought the holes in the brackets aren't slotted for that use, they're just a round hole? :confused:

aldaman
12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
--but I thought the holes in the brackets aren't slotted for that use, they're just a round hole? :confused:

The instructions in the lift kit says that the round hole has a perforation that allows you to either chisel, cut or dremel the hole to make it larger (the picture in the instructions shows the end result being kinda rectangular)...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/al_12572/CamBolthole.jpg

aldaman
12-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Sorry, I wasnt too detailed about the cam bolts...The cam bolts are for the Front lower control arms...I was trying to imply that the lift kit I was looking at came with a rear track bar relocation bracket, instead of a rear adjustable track bar and cam bolts for the front lower control arms, instead of adjustable control arms.....

PhilD
12-05-2007, 06:08 AM
No matter what you use to adjust it, you need to get your caster adjusted to around 4.5 or 5 degrees or so. I found you can run as low +2.5 and it feels fine, doesn't wander much at all. Factory spec for caster is +4.2 0.5.

PhilD
12-05-2007, 06:09 AM
Sorry, I wasnt too detailed about the cam bolts...The cam bolts are for the Front lower control arms...Okay, that makes sense now.

PhilD
12-05-2007, 06:19 AM
I left out the details about the cam bolts, but they are for the lower front control arms...This brings up another question that instead of using the cam bolts, is it better to install the adjustable lower control arms for the front if so, what would be the appropriate degree / angle for the front drive shaft in relation to the pinion/pumpkin for a 4dr unlimited X...Thanks...If you were doing just one set of control arms I think you'd be better off doing the uppers, as when you adjust them to set the pinion angle right you will rotate the top of the axle forward. If you just do the lowers then you will rotate the bottom of the axle backwards and effectively move the axle backwards, when it in fact needs to go forwards. Doing both would let you set the correct axle position and pinion angle.

Good cancellation of U-joint operating angles is within 1.
Operating angles less than 3 (U-joint system).
Operating angles less than 10 for constant velocity joint.
At least 0.5 continuous operating (propeller shaft) angle. On one U-joint system less than 1.5 operating angle.

I've found that anything over 7.5 with a front UJ shaft (JE Reel in my case) will cause excessive vibration. Less than 3 is spec whichever driveshaft you have, but I think 5 is fine.

Obviously the more you correct the pinion angle the worse your caster will be become. It is traditional for pinion to take precedent, and also what the FSM calls for, but with a little compromise on both, you can find something that will work well, ie: vibration free and good steering feel.

aldaman
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Thank you all for the great advice/tips :beer::bounce::beer: