Locating the Oil Sending unit.... [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Locating the Oil Sending unit....

Retrocouple
04-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Looking to tap in to the signal wire for an aux device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

seer
04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Looking to tap in to the signal wire for an aux device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there is one. At least if you are adding gauges that read info from the OBDII, you have to add a sender for the oil pressure.

Retrocouple
04-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm looking to verify that the engine is running so I was hoping that it had some oil pressure switch.....any thoughts

jdrogers
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
The description from the FSM:

The engine oil pressure switch is located on the lower left front side of the engine. It screws into the oil filter adapter. The normally closed switch provides an input through a single wire to the low pressure indicator light on the instrument cluster.

The picture from the FSM (which is clearly a picture of the 3.8 from a Minivan):

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/oilpressure.gif

But it might still be attached to the oil filter adapter which is located on the left front side of the engine, so let us know.

:beer:

seer
04-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Go-No Go switch?

jdrogers
04-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Go-No Go switch?

I think so... I believe it switches at like 3 or 7 PSI.

bfj aka tambil
04-05-2009, 07:38 PM
That picture is wrong.

Look behind the oil filter and up on the passenger side. The sending unit sits just above the coolant line. If you need it post up and I will take a picture tomorrow.
You can't get oil pressure from this switch. If you need that go to jegs and get the adapter plate that mounts between the filter and the engine. It would be the easiest solution depending on what your trying to accomplish.

gold knight
04-06-2009, 07:19 AM
That picture is wrong.

Look behind the oil filter and up on the passenger side. The sending unit sits just above the coolant line. If you need it post up and I will take a picture tomorrow.
You can't get oil pressure from this switch. If you need that go to jegs and get the adapter plate that mounts between the filter and the engine. It would be the easiest solution depending on what your trying to accomplish.He says he's looking for a switch (on/off) so this sounds like what he's after, no need for pressure reading. VV

I'm looking to verify that the engine is running so I was hoping that it had some oil pressure switch.....any thoughts

bfj aka tambil
04-07-2009, 03:14 PM
He says he's looking for a switch (on/off) so this sounds like what he's after, no need for pressure reading. VV

Thats true. But if he tries to find it from the picture above, he'll really be lost. I had to tap mine, but I'm actually letting oil flow from where the sending unit mounts, to the supercharger. So I tee'd off at the block and ran a hose to the SC and put the sensor onto the tee.

I had to use a long extension and a sending unit socket and access from the wheel well to get to it. (Just pulled the plastic back from the front - didn't have to fully remove it from the wheel well)

Sounds like the OP just needs to tap the wire coming from it.

:beer:

Retrocouple
04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks all for replying.....I thought that this maybe the sensor but I thought it was to close to the coolant line. I'm installing a VMU (Vehicle Management Unit) for controlling a Hydrogen booster.

seer
04-07-2009, 05:14 PM
As long as we're here, has anyone actually installed an oil sending unit? It's on my short list of stuff to do.

bfj aka tambil
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks all for replying.....I thought that this maybe the sensor but I thought it was to close to the coolant line. I'm installing a VMU (Vehicle Management Unit) for controlling a Hydrogen booster.

Thats the one. lol

Cool deal. Let us know how that works out for you. I've heard some conflicting stories. There is so much bs on the net regarding those things.

bfj aka tambil
04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
As long as we're here, has anyone actually installed an oil sending unit? It's on my short list of stuff to do.

Do you mean for getting a real oil pressure measurement?

(I haven't, but just figured since I was posting I would ask for clarification.)

:)

PhilD
04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
As long as we're here, has anyone actually installed an oil sending unit? It's on my short list of stuff to do.Yes

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3784