Which rounds for the Kel-Tec P-3AT [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Which rounds for the Kel-Tec P-3AT

jkdrone
04-05-2009, 07:11 AM
So, in preparation for getting my CHL this summer, I picked up a Kel-tec P-3AT. As a skinny guy, I like that I can actually conceal it without wearing clothes two sizes too big =)

There also seems to be a lot of support of this tiny little pistol, at first I thought it looked like a cheap POS, and certainly when a spring went out of misalignment during my first field service (always first thing I do w/ it), and I had to completely dis-assemble the pistol, I thought it was too. But, I haven't harped on that point - it was my fault for not correctly following the instructions.

So, rambling over.

This pistol is a .380. In my baby eagle 9mm, I use Federal Hydra-shocks, but I'm concerned as I've read lots of reports about the HSes not getting up enough speed in short-barrel pistols. It came with a mag full of Corbon's, and I see others using them. I'd like to presume there are no issues with these not coming up to speed enough to flatten out, but presumptions can get ya in all sorts of trouble.

What HP's do y'all recommend for a short-barrel .380, and why?

Thanks!

!c

STUPIDFACE
04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I had that kel tec. I used the speer gold dots in it. Judging from the recoil from a 380 bullet, they have to be powerful.

corey d

red08rubicon_tx
04-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Mine is loaded with cor-bon's right now I have not had a problem with them at all though to be fair I have never shot anything other than paper so I couldn't tell you about the impact they would have in a person or animal.

jkdrone
04-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Hm, I just came across this site which would lean me away from Cor-bon's... http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a10/a10-14.html

Looks like I should go w/ the Remington Golden Saber's.

!c

usmcdoc14
04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Buffalo Bore's solid lead or JHP. its a hot load so beware it makes shooting a small gun "lively"

txapacheguy@yahoo.com
04-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I shoot the Federal Hydra Shocks in mine. It eats them just fine, but I cant speak for the ballistic performance of the round.

RubiCajun
04-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Drone, For home defense or concealed carry you should give Frangible rounds a try. will increase a .380's potency 100%. lookie here:
YouTube - Extreme Shock frangible ammo - Factory ballastic gelatin tests! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_McIBT3ZKpw&feature=related)

usmcdoc14
04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Drone, For home defense or concealed carry you should give Frangible rounds a try. will increase a .380's potency 100%. lookie here:

you can use the EXYREEEMEEEE SHOQ !! killaaaarrrrr ammo all you want. I will stick with what is proven to work :thefinger:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23_4.htm

get the fastest heaviest bullet you can find with a proven design that you can afford to put 100rds down rage before you carry it.

sorry man, I dont trust any company that uses wording like this with handgun ammo:
The resulting stopping power is utterly devastating. E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.

and:
The risk to EMS personnel is reduced because the rounds don't leave the many glove-shredding, razor sharp fragments of traditional rounds.

what EMS is sticking their fingers in bullet holes? :laughing: and I like the flesh shredding pointy bits in those I need to shoot :devil:

RubiCajun
04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
you can use the EXYREEEMEEEE SHOQ !! killaaaarrrrr ammo all you want. I will stick with what is proven to work :thefinger:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23_4.htm

get the fastest heaviest bullet you can find with a proven design that you can afford to put 100rds down rage before you carry it.

sorry man, I dont trust any company that uses wording like this with handgun ammo:

and:

what EMS is sticking their fingers in bullet holes? :laughing: and I like the flesh shredding pointy bits in those I need to shoot :devil:

you know doc, i have to agree with you about the above quotes. perhaps i should have gone to their website but i didn't. i saw the video on u-tube and all the music aside, the ballistic gelatin test (industry/research standard), did show the true expansion and penetration of the frangible rounds which is a little more scientific than a milk jug filled with H2O. I have never used their product, but i have used the Glaser Safety Slug. they are expensive. about 19.00 for 6 rounds of .380. the point is, for home defense and perhaps some close quarter pucker 10 situations with concealed carry they are safer to use, especially in the home if you have family. pair the bullet to the situation.and by the way, read the disclaimer on theBoxoTruth. :)

usmcdoc14
04-15-2009, 10:01 PM
. i saw the video on u-tube and all the music aside, the ballistic gelatin test (industry/research standard), did show the true expansion and penetration of the frangible rounds which is a little more scientific than a milk jug filled with H2O.

there is no footage of the .380 in that video :thefinger:

usmcdoc14
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
what I hate is there is not a lot of options for the 2 sizes of ammo in my "mouse" guns of 9mm MAK and .380 :shaking:
Once you go "up" a size to 9mm you get a much better selection of fast heavy rounds and with my other carry weapon (.45) you can have anything you want and then some.

But no matter if I have the .45 or the 9mmMAK/.380 I like the heaviest fastest bullet I can put down range. Its simple Newtonian physics. AFTER that I pick on round design and development and then I test fire a LOT.

I do not like "gimmicky" rounds or companies with unprecedented claims.

I run Winchester Ranger RA45T .45ACP 230grn +P SXT's in my XD because it likes it and they are proven.
You also KNOW when you put one downrange. :laughing:

I would run them in my LCP or Bersa but they are slow. I run Bufflo Bore 380 Auto +P Ammo 90 gr. jhp in my LCP as they are fast/heavy and run speer gold dot bullets. In my Bersa I run Remington Golden Saber 102gr. JHP's as for some reason I get better groups (who knows why)

as for my 9mm MAK......I am SOL :laughing:

With these small guns you need to make you rounds COUNT. You will not get the penetration and expansion as with a 9mm or larger gun so get the MOST penetration you can and then settle for expansion.

There is no such thing as "too much penetration" in a small pistol and there is not enough energy to worry about dumping all the ftlbs into your target.

PhilD
04-16-2009, 09:28 AM
I will stick with what is proven to workX2 Plus how many people actually practice with their super duper exotic hot shot rounds? You need to practice with what you carry, granted not all the time, but enough to become very familiar with it.

I shoot plain old Silver Tips in my 9x23 and I'm sure they will do what is required.