Buzz sound when shifting [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Buzz sound when shifting

drbeddow
12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
OK so this has been going on since a few weeks after I bought it. When I shift at higher RPMs, (anything above 3500 or so) there is a buzz/rattle sound when I disengage the clutch. You can even feel it in the clutch pedal somewhat. I have been watching the TSBs and this board for similar problems but so far the issues most are having is a squeek. The dealership has had it twice. The first time they changed the throwout bearing per the TSB even though the actual symptoms were different than described in the TSB. It really seemed like a throwout bearing noise so we hoped this would work but no change. Then this week they changed the clutch disk as per the new TSB related to clutch noise but still no change. The mechanic was vert sympathetic and said he definately agrees there is a problem but doesn't know what to do at this poiny. He said everything looked normal when he tore it apart. He also said he has heard the same buzz in other new JKs. So..... anyone else having this issue? And more importantly anyone found a solution?

drbeddow
12-02-2007, 01:11 PM
So am I really the only one having this problem? The mechanic made it sound like it was fairly common.

93country
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Well i only notice a squeek or a chirp when i shift, and it is everytime i shift and it has done that since new. Havent heard of anyone getting a buzzing sound sorry.

toadontheroad
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I definitely have the buzz shifting at higher RPM's. Let me know if you find the resolution.

I have yet to take the Toad to the dealer for any reason. I'm afraid they'er going to bug me about the dented/scratched rock slider, gouged skid plates and scatches on the paint :shaking:

LSM
02-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Well i only notice a squeek or a chirp when i shift, and it is everytime i shift and it has done that since new. Havent heard of anyone getting a buzzing sound sorry.

I am getting the same squeek when I shift gears. I have less than 1000 miles on it and it started around 400 miles. I found a TSB on another site that says that the dealership needs to replace the clutch.

Has anyone followed up on this?

drbeddow
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I had the throwout bearing replaced first under one TSB, no change. Then they replaced the clutch disk under another TSB, still no change. :pissed:

LSM
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Oh Great... I hope the wife does't hear the squeek. New vehicle and it needs work already:shaking:
Did you happen to read the TSB?

Here is the Note they added at the top. Check the year in the note. The TSB was published October 26, 2007.

"This bulletin applies to Wrangler vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine and
manual transmission (sales codes EGT and DEH respectively), built on or
before February 28, 2008 (MDH 0228XX)."

toadontheroad
02-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Did you happen to read the TSB?

Here is the Note they added at the top. Check the year in the note. The TSB was published October 26, 2007.

"This bulletin applies to Wrangler vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine and
manual transmission (sales codes EGT and DEH respectively), built on or
before February 28, 2008 (MDH 0228XX)."

Huh. How did they know the fix would happen 4 months later on Feb 25? :shaking:

usmcdoc14
02-23-2008, 06:42 PM
throwout bearing

damm, that would have been my first guess. Next would be the bearings in the transmission itself.

csims723
03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
So am I really the only one having this problem? The mechanic made it sound like it was fairly common.

Your not the only one. When I get abouve 3500 rpm it sounds like I am driving a WW2 Jeep not a brand new one. I to have the squeak on shift and power change but have not had the heart to let the dealership have it as of yet. As for the crazy rattles I first thought it was a heat sheild vibrating but I ruled that out by retorquing them all. Keep me posted if ya get a answer. I am sick of the rattling. Chris

Dragline
04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Yup, I've got it also above 3500 rpm, sounds more like a grind/gear ratchet noise to me, almost like something is touch a rotating part. 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is very noticeable. Nope I haven't taken mine in either but I know the noise is there. I don't want to go thru the trouble of repeat Dealer visits so if anyone finds the solution, please let us know... Thanks..

toadontheroad
04-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Mine is still squealing but I feel the same about taking it into the dealer. I also still need them to adjust the useless e-brake. I'm sure they'll hassle me for not taking it to them for any service. "Jeapardizing your lifetime warranty, sir." Huhn :shaking:

1TallJKer
04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I am getting the same squeek when I shift gears. I have less than 1000 miles on it and it started around 400 miles. I found a TSB on another site that says that the dealership needs to replace the clutch.

Has anyone followed up on this?

Yep, I did about a month ago, and the squeak is now gone. And it actually shifts better than it did straight off the dealer's lot.

They ended up having my JK for 3 days, first they had to order the part, then the mechanic sheared off two of the bolts on the exhaust system, and they had to order those as well.

They almost charged me for the repairs though, they said it looked like it had been in a flood with all of the mud up under there (so I found some mud and had to play in it, it IS a Jeep after all), but when the guy tore apart the clutch there was no mud in it so the warranty covered it. (I would have fought DC like a wild cat on steroids if there had been mud in there)

LSM
04-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Yep, I did about a month ago, and the squeak is now gone. And it actually shifts better than it did straight off the dealer's lot.

They ended up having my JK for 3 days, first they had to order the part, then the mechanic sheared off two of the bolts on the exhaust system, and they had to order those as well.

They almost charged me for the repairs though, they said it looked like it had been in a flood with all of the mud up under there (so I found some mud and had to play in it, it IS a Jeep after all), but when the guy tore apart the clutch there was no mud in it so the warranty covered it. (I would have fought DC like a wild cat on steroids if there had been mud in there)

After taking the Jeep in twice they fixed the issue.:shaking: Apparently it was the shifter linkage cable rubbing on something. The first time they just greased something. A slight relocation of the cable the second time and it works fine, no issues since. All under warranty as it should be.

toadontheroad
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Got mine done. No more buzzing for hte 1st 100 miles, then it buzzed on 2 shifts in the same trip to the store and hasn't buzzed since for the last 400 miles. And it does shift better. We'll see.

mikejwil
05-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Got mine done. No more buzzing for hte 1st 100 miles, then it buzzed on 2 shifts in the same trip to the store and hasn't buzzed since for the last 400 miles. And it does shift better. We'll see.

What did you have done? I've heard the buzzing at high RPMs but figured it was just a heat shield resonating or something...

toadontheroad
05-16-2008, 05:45 PM
They replaced the entire clutch plate assy under warranty and noted the TSB on the invoice. It's all good to me.

toadontheroad
03-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Except now it's 10 months later and the buzz is back...with a vengeance! I'm taking it back to the dealer.

toadontheroad
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM
OK, So I took it back in and turns out the 1st time they replaced the clutch with another failure, not the "improved" version. Now I supposedly get the TSB recommended clutch assembly. While it's apart I go in and talk wit the tech. I start playing with the tranny on the stand and notice both the throwout and the pilot bearings are very loose! He says, "Yeah, I noticed that too and I am putting in new bearings for you." Wow, thanks. Why are they worn at 16k? "I don't know. Maybe the clutch vibration?" Man, I hope this isn't going to become some problem that goes on forever... :pissed:

Then, check it out: While it's in there they replace the radio with a new one, replace the starter with a new one and replace the can sensor with a new one. No argument. No fight. They're just givin 'em away! (They got a whole herd o' Winnebagos):laughing:

csims723
03-27-2009, 08:22 PM
OK, So I took it back in and turns out the 1st time they replaced the clutch with another failure, not the "improved" version. Now I supposedly get the TSB recommended clutch assembly. While it's apart I go in and talk wit the tech. I start playing with the tranny on the stand and notice both the throwout and the pilot bearings are very loose! He says, "Yeah, I noticed that too and I am putting in new bearings for you." Wow, thanks. Why are they worn at 16k? "I don't know. Maybe the clutch vibration?" Man, I hope this isn't going to become some problem that goes on forever... :pissed:

Then, check it out: While it's in there they replace the radio with a new one, replace the starter with a new one and replace the can sensor with a new one. No argument. No fight. They're just givin 'em away! (They got a whole herd o' Winnebagos):laughing:

Just out of curisoty did you have a problem with the other mentioned parts they swapped? Have you got the TSB on the clutch issues? I need a copy of it to take to my dealer. I have the same 3500 rpm racket. I was thinking it was a heat sheild or the roller fairlead on my winch. I am pretty sure its the transmission and want the TSB number to print. I know the tech will not every be able to find it on his own. Thanks
Chris

toadontheroad
03-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Chris,
I'll be sure to have them note the TSB # on Monday when I pick up the JK and get it to you. As for the other items, I was just mentioning things... like I said the dash has a slight noise like a PC cooling fan. They determined it was the cooling fan on the radio and replaced it. I said it sometime takes too long to start (5-7 sceonds instead of 2). They determined it was the cam sensor (under a TSB I guess), and replaced it. While he had the starter out to swap the clutch he thought the gear/shaft was too loose and surmised the outer flange on the vibrating clutch assembly might have been causing the flywheel to vibrate and wasted the bearings of the shaft on hte started. So they replaced it.

I told them I appreciated them taking some time to put hought into it and not just slapping things back together. Maybe they're trying to get more warranty $$? I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

Dancin Dan
04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
This is an interesting thread. I'm getting a weird vibration through my shifter that feels tied to the rpm. When I'm sitting in neutral with the engine running, the whole Jeep will shudder. Not sure how to describe it (I ain't no gearhead) but it don't feel right. I would call it a cavitation coming from the engine itself. No idea what this could be, but it sure doesn't seem like something I should expect from a JK I picked up less than 72 hours ago.

Ringing a bell with anyone?

toadontheroad
04-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Dan,
Sounds more like a timing/ignition issue. What year is your Sahara? Have you had the flash "upgrade" done? I would have the dealer diagnose it.

toadontheroad
04-02-2009, 09:07 AM
And thanks for bringing this back up. I totally forgot to check the TSB #'s :shaking:

toadontheroad
04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
OK Chris... here's the TSB's

TSB 06-001-08 resloved clutch vibration (replaced clutch assembly)

TSB 08-001-08 solved long crank time (replaced cam sensor)

toadontheroad
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Any you guys with the clutch vibration have issues with the dealership putting it together wrong and then telling you there's no problem? Any continuous bearing sqeecking with the stick in neutral and the clutch out?

toadontheroad
05-14-2010, 12:14 AM
"district manager" says - vehicle has been off-road... negates coverage.

HUH? Isn't it a Jeep?