Poker Run April 25th (West Volusia) [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Poker Run April 25th (West Volusia)

FLLawdog
04-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Orange City Police Department is hosting a poker run to benefit Officer Sherif El-Shami on Saturday, April 25th.

For those that don't know, Officer El-Shami was responding to a well being check on a possible suicidal person. As he pulled on scene, he came under fire from the subject. Two bullets penetrated the cabin of the car and missed his head by inches. The shrapnel from the bullet, glass and metal struck him in the eyes and he may lose the use of one of them.

This was originally meant for motorcycles, but the response has been so huge that they are also allowing cars. I called one of the points of contacts to see if it was OK to put this out to the clubs and she said "by all means".

Unfortunately, I'm working that evening so I highly doubt I'll be there, but I'd like to be. I'm gonna look real tight at the times and see if I can fit it in.

Here are the details:

Date: April 25, 2009
Start: Trader Jack's (4425 N. US 17 in DeLand-North of 15/Spring Garden Road) at 10am
Stops: OB's (DeLand), Dale's (Orange City), VFW #8093, Bar Out Back (Sanford), Fox Head (Osteen) and Cabbage Patch (Samsula)
Finish: Back at Trader Jack's for music and food (provided) at 5pm

$10 per bike (vehicle), $5 for passenger.

I have the contact info so if anyone has questions, post up and I'll get the answer for you.

Grant211
04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Awesome!

I'm going to try to make it!

I know his brother-in-law very well. We went to highschool and lived together in college. I remember when he started dating Dina (EL-Shami's) sister.

I never met El-Shami, but my prayers go out to him and his family.

michaelkern
04-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I have posted this information on the Orlando Jeep Club website.

Grant211
04-09-2009, 05:39 AM
I'm surprised nobody else wants to do this :shaking:

I have a party to go to on the 25th, so i am trying to get around it to attend this pokerrun.