PW+PL+H20 = ?? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: PW+PL+H20 = ??


Dancin Dan
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I noticed that the Rubicon has power windows and power locks as part of the standard fare, but I hafta wonder if this was a good idea.

Anyone happen to know - Are they pretty waterproof? Resistant at least?

Gotta make sure if I get caught with my top down that I don't shock the hell outta myself gettin the windows back up.

CONVICT
03-29-2009, 11:15 PM
H2O btw. Water resistant Im sure, but dont go swimming! I would be way more worried about the radio shorting out.

Broncojohn
03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Must be new for '09. In '08 if you bought a Std Rubicon it had no power.

MoMud
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
My Rubi has power everything including the mygig radio. And I have drenched the inside. Once by rain and a few others by spraying out the jeep. I did not spray directly on the radio, but I did spray around it. Enough to have 3-4 inches of water in the floor and to pull the plugs. I have been very pleased with my Rubi.

Alter Ego
03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
You won't get shocked off a 12VDC system.

Dancin Dan
10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
You won't get shocked off a 12VDC system.

I gotta wonder how you know this.

jocrazy0
10-04-2011, 02:44 PM
You won't get shocked off a 12VDC system.

Pretty hard to drive enough current through the natural skin/body resistance at 12vdc.... But I will tell you, you *might* feel something if you lay a sweaty arm across the terminals of your battery. And of course, if you are stupid enough to try and stick your tongue across two conductors at 12vdc, you *probably* will feel that (Try it with a nine volt. Go ahead. I'll wait.)

A loooong time ago, in electronics class, IIRC now, 50vdc was supposed to be the upper limit before lethal currents could develop through a body. There are (I understand) a lot of welders than do have open circuit voltages in that range and I have heard of people being knocked on their keister by them, but I have not had that privilege.... yet.

Is 100 milliamps still the recognized lethal current? I don't know. At 100ma (1/10th amp), R=E/I your body resistance ACROSS THE HEART would have to be 120 ohms to be fatal.... pretty hard to do.

From the Univerity of Illinois (http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=6793): "A rough value for the internal resistance of the human body is 300-1,000 Ohms."