Viper 5002 [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Viper 5002

MaRShiN
03-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Just got mine installed yesterday after 2 break-ins to the Jeep. Yeah should have done it from the get-go or at least after the 1st break in.

Also got the proximity sensor installed and the tech and I tweaked the sensitivity and with the top and doors off the alarm will "chirp" when you're a little less that 1' away. If you reach in to about the steering wheel it goes off. It also has a "pager" thing that lets me know when the alarm chirps or goes off.

The alarm also goes off if the hood latch gets popped open (I have the Daystar hood wranglers and they are really tight and takes quite a bit of force to open them.)

Couldn't be happier! AND this morning at about 5am the proximity sensor went off. (am currently door and topless with a "decoy" ipod sitting in my cup holder) Ran out front and no one was there and the fake iPod (my neighbor got an iPod case and there was a fake iPod in it to show how it would look, thats what I use heh) was still there.

So either I scared away a would-be theif or chased a cat away, but either way I feel sooo much more comfortable around here now. Wish I would have done this much sooner.

ACE
04-24-2009, 04:45 AM
I'm looking into the 5901...your post just makes me more confortable about getting it..when I get it lol

RPPR
05-31-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm looking into the 5901...your post just makes me more confortable about getting it..when I get it lol

I just had my 5901 installed yesterday. It is awesome! I had it installed and glad I did. I watched most of the process and dang, too many wires for me. I couldn't play with it last night, but will take it out and learn all the functions and adjust the sensitivity to the proximity sensor.

Although any determined thief wil get what they want, but it gives me piece of mind and know that I at least made an effort to deter.

MaRShiN
05-31-2009, 10:06 AM
If they didnt put a sensor under your hood, you might want to ask them to. Being able to get under the hood from outside means some thiefs could just pop the hood, disco the batt and the alarm goes to sleep. I think it was like a 10 dollar plunger switch they put under my hood so if it lifts, the alarm goes off too.

RPPR
05-31-2009, 10:14 AM
If they didnt put a sensor under your hood, you might want to ask them to. Being able to get under the hood from outside means some thiefs could just pop the hood, disco the batt and the alarm goes to sleep. I think it was like a 10 dollar plunger switch they put under my hood so if it lifts, the alarm goes off too.

Fortunatly they did. As I was watching, I say the install pull out a drill and put his whole weight on it. I jumped up and said, "What are you doing" Then I saw that he was putting in the trigger pin which I thought was cool. The installer I went to even saved me some money. I almost (and may still do it) added the backup battery, but he said he would love to sell it to me, but thought it was a waste especially since it was a viper and had proximity and a hood pin.

Where did you put the proximity sensor. the wiring between the brain and sensor wasn't long at all so the only place to put it was flat right in front of the 4wd selector lever. I may one day cut the wire and add more to lengthen it and install more towards the rear so it is more centered in the Jeep.

MaRShiN
05-31-2009, 10:16 AM
mines in the same spot, I agree about wanting to put it a little more to the rear. I can reach into the very back without setting off the alarm, but both sides it goes off when you are about 6" past where the doors would be.

RPPR
05-31-2009, 10:26 AM
mines in the same spot, I agree about wanting to put it a little more to the rear. I can reach into the very back without setting off the alarm, but both sides it goes off when you are about 6" past where the doors would be.

Ok, good. I thought after working on it for 5 hrsthe installer was getting tired and was trying to cut corners. He did say he did not want to "hide" it and wanted to make it easy access for me cause I'll be adjusting it frequently. Especially when the doors and top are off. The range changes.

As for the antenna/blue light, I had him put that in the center windshield, on top of the dash. I may move it to the center/top of the windshield. The installer initially stuck it on the far left corner of the windshield with the antenna perpendicular to the ground instead parallel. I thought it would be too easy for a hater to see it and just want to rip it out. But now I'm thinking I may get more range if I put it back with the antenna going up and down. I figure I could get more range that since that is how radio waves travel.

I tell you what though, that freaking led light is super bright at night. I could see it flashing 5 houses down.

RPPR
05-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Yeah, no one should be in my Jeep past 6" of the doors without my permission. How did you obtain that setting? Like I said, I haven't had time to play with it, but will today. Did you turn the setting to is lowest? I'm gonna set it while the top and doors are off.

MaRShiN
05-31-2009, 11:40 AM
They messed with the tuning and set it to wherever it is. They also said if I want it stronger/weaker to bring it back to them and they'll mess with it for free. My neighbor has the same alarm tho and Ive helped him adjust his, kind of finiky, Id see if the install place will adjust yours for free if you want it higher or lower, there were like 3 turn screws in there and I dont know which one does what.

BeerMonkeY
05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
if you gus have the dei (viper) prox sensor there are two adjustment screws covered by rubber plugs on the lower right of the unit, the left adjustment screw changes both the warn (single chirp) and the trigger (full blown alarm) set that one first, the right adjustment is for the trigger alone. you should make sure you dont keep metal things above the sensor (seems to make it false alarm alot) and the range will change with weather (had to adjust mine spring, winter and summer). and after installing these for quite a while and dealing with many customers you may want to adjust it so it wont chirp untill you reach inside and the full trigger when your in a liitle past that, ive had customers say there car was vandalized soon after having the prox sensor installed and it was possibly due to rhe car chirping at people passing by and them being jerks about it.

scottyp
05-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I was thinking about gettin a viper alarm b/c I have a Kicker 15 in the trunk and a pioneer touch screen navi and was worried about someone takin them. Did yours come with the 2 way keypiece that sends you information about the car like broken window or shock or prox sensor being triggered if so, how you like it and is it too big to be carried around on key chain and not get in the way?

bfj aka tambil
05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
I am really interested in the two way pager remote. I have a very hard time hearing my horn from the back of the house. I was going to add the DEI 508D, but decided to wait until I could research the remote, in case I have to get an entire alarm installed anyway.
(I have the factory -added- alarm. EVSII)

MaRShiN
05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
I have the "pager". It is a little big, but got used to it being in my pocket pretty quick and its definatly nice. Even in my little duplex, I cant hear the alarm go off from my bedroom, specially with the oscillating fan going or some bedtime tunes. The pager is pretty loud, shows you exactly whats happening and mine has had pretty good range. I was @ Applebees the other day, parked away from other cars (mostly so the prox wont chirp when ppl have to get in their cars next to mine) and the prox went off, walked over to the window to look and saw a couple young kids on skateboards jogging away from my Jeep. Nothing was mising (nothign was there either ;) )

bfj aka tambil
05-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Which pager did you go with? I have mostly found some on ebay..but it doesn't list the actual manufacturer for them. But the company is in Florida.

MaRShiN
05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Mine says Viper on it, back has some numbers;

1-800-274-0200
RPN 489V/P/X
2(66) CODES
FCC ID: (omitting, think this is like my Fq or something ;) )

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/piercedupdude/IMG_1129.jpg

bfj aka tambil
05-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Thank you so much. I will work on this soon. Don't know why I couldn't find the viper remote before, but this should help.

scottyp
05-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok sweet that exactly what I wanted to hear. I was actually looking into python alarms and they have two ways that respond a mile away! I deff think it adds a huge piece of mind knowing you have a good anti theft unit so ur hard earned mods and belongings don't end up "missing"