upgrade the factory alarm? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: upgrade the factory alarm?

kelevra
03-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to wire in a couple mercury switches into the interior light circuit? One on the hood and one in the interior somewhere. I wonder if you would need a diode of some sort, or would the door switch stop the current from flowing in reverse. Maybe a relay so the mercury switches only have power when the key is off? I don't know, just throwing something out there...

Sorry if this is a double post, wasn't sure about an appropriate location.

bfj aka tambil
03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Why? The factory alarm already hooks into the interior lights, and a mercury switch would be for movement, if I remember these things correctly.

Alter Ego
03-23-2009, 08:58 PM
A mercury switch on the hood would sound the alarm if it was opened. Yes it would work for that. BUT it would also be flashing 'door' and turning your dome light on and off whenever you go down a trail. BUT you could wire in a relay to disable it whenever the ignition was on.

bfj aka tambil
03-24-2009, 06:24 PM
So he maybe doesn't actually want to wire this to his light circuit, but rather to his alarm trigger wire.
My factory alarm was added after the fact, so I have 5 trigger wires and only one of them is used for the door, and one for an impact sensor that is mounted under the hood.

kelevra
03-26-2009, 09:18 AM
So he maybe doesn't actually want to wire this to his light circuit, but rather to his alarm trigger wire.
My factory alarm was added after the fact, so I have 5 trigger wires and only one of them is used for the door, and one for an impact sensor that is mounted under the hood.

Thanks for the info. My alarm was added after the fact as well. I guess I will have to find a wiring diagram...

bfj aka tambil
03-26-2009, 06:09 PM
The box for the alarm should be mounted under the dash on the driver side. There are five white leads all tied together, and probably two of them are attached to other wires (dome light, and the shock sensor) the other three should be available for input/ trigger wires.
I am pretty sure I threw away my install instructions or I would offer them up to you.

Grant211
03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
This looks like something worth while for me and possibly others...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/15001_10.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/75657/75657-md.jpg

bfj aka tambil
03-27-2009, 06:51 PM
The EVS I is for vehicles with keyless entry.

The EVS II is for vehicles without keyless entry.. aka...mine. I had to give the dealer the part number so they could order it, and then got them to price match. lol.

It was a very easy install after I found the "foot-light" wire (alternative) since I don't have foot well lights.

Rudy
04-21-2009, 10:36 PM

The EVS II is for vehicles without keyless entry.. aka...mine. I had to give the dealer the part number so they could order it, and then got them to price match. lol.

It was a very easy install after I found the "foot-light" wire (alternative) since I don't have foot well lights.

So did you install a I or II.

I have a 09 Rubi with the keyless entry, so I would add the EVS I. What does the EVS I add to the system. The product details are very lacking at best.

Thanks
Rudy

bfj aka tambil
04-21-2009, 10:52 PM
So did you install a I or II.

I have a 09 Rubi with the keyless entry, so I would add the EVS I. What does the EVS I add to the system. The product details are very lacking at best.

Thanks
Rudy

I added II because I did not have the key fob.

The alarm adds, a shock sensor, starter kill, and door sensor, alarm functions.

The details are lacking because it is meant for dealer install, even though you can buy it and diy. So there are a lot of assumptions in the package, because it is not really intended for the end user.

I did the install with little problem and it works great for me. I might add the DEI 508d prox sensor though and maybe a pager function.... some time anyway. lol

woodys3b
04-22-2009, 05:20 AM

Am I correct in assuming that this will work if you don't have power door locks?

bfj aka tambil
04-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Am I correct in assuming that this will work if you don't have power door locks?

That would be the EVS II, you can buy direct from the dealership. Or pm prozack since he sells stuff from a dealership, he can probably get you the best price.