CB Antenna Mount [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: CB Antenna Mount

Xish077
03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
So i have my CB radio and I purchased a 3' firestick, ive got 20 feet of coax cable andnow i just need an antenna mount and im good. Once i get the thing tuned of course. So has anyone purchased one of these mounts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-CB-Antena-Mount-Teraflex_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66 Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c2 93Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZ item260380362286QQitemZ260380362286QQptZMotorsQ5fC arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I believe they also sell them on quadratec...but they are so much cheaper on ebay. Some professional feedback from people who already have CB's is what im looking for here...im a total newbie. Thanks guys.

SDMF
03-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Quite a few people have a mount similar to that, welcome to JKO.

BigO
03-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I have that same mount for my 3' antenna. Works fine. I used a Dremmel tool to remove the powdercoating around all of the holes to get a better metal to metal contact for grounding.

TeraFlex
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
So i have my CB radio and I purchased a 3' firestick, ive got 20 feet of coax cable andnow i just need an antenna mount and im good. Once i get the thing tuned of course. So has anyone purchased one of these mounts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-CB-Antena-Mount-Teraflex_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66 Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c2 93Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZ item260380362286QQitemZ260380362286QQptZMotorsQ5fC arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I believe they also sell them on quadratec...but they are so much cheaper on ebay. Some professional feedback from people who already have CB's is what im looking for here...im a total newbie. Thanks guys.

It's a bit cheaper than that Ebay price if you exercise your JKOwner's member discount. ;)

Xish077
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks so much for all the help guys. Can i purchase something like that on teraflex? I also need some sort of cigarette lighter adapter because I want to make the radio easily removable for when I park in a lot with the top down. Anyone have any suggestions about that? Can i just attach the CB wires to a cigarette lighter adapter? Anyone have that set up?

TeraFlex
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks so much for all the help guys. Can i purchase something like that on teraflex?

Yep, just give me a call at 801-713-3314. :)

kerryp
03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Can i just attach the CB wires to a cigarette lighter adapter? Anyone have that set up?

Yes you can, you just need to buy a cigarette lighter plug from Radio Shack or use one from some other piece of equipment you don't use anymore and attach it to your CB wire. Make sure you have an inline fuse to protect your CB and your good to go. I did that for quite some time with my Cobra 29

jdrogers
03-23-2009, 05:41 PM
If you are into fabricating your own parts, it's pretty easy to make a bracket for the JK. I made two simple brackets to mount my ham antenna and CB antenna to the spare tire carrier. (And no brackets were available back in November 2006 when I got my JK.) The brackets I made are just flat pieces of steel bolted to the top of the tire carrier.

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/antennabracket1.jpg

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/antennabracket2.jpg

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/antennabrackets.jpg

GlennA
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much for all the help guys. Can i purchase something like that on teraflex? I also need some sort of cigarette lighter adapter because I want to make the radio easily removable for when I park in a lot with the top down. Anyone have any suggestions about that? Can i just attach the CB wires to a cigarette lighter adapter? Anyone have that set up?

I would suggest that you forego the cig lighter plug and disconnect the power cable from the back of the radio when you get ready to remove it. Do a quality installation and just disconnect the the power and coax when you want to remove it.

Alter Ego
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
If you are into fabricating your own parts, it's pretty easy to make a bracket for the JK. I made two simple brackets to mount my ham antenna and CB antenna to the spare tire carrier. (And no brackets were available back in November 2006 when I got my JK.) The brackets I made are just flat pieces of steel bolted to the top of the tire carrier.

I really like this design. So much, in fact, I'll be pulling my tire off tomorrow and cutting steel. The only difference I see is to use angle instead of flat stock.

Quick and simple. How did you ground it?

jdrogers
03-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I really like this design. So much, in fact, I'll be pulling my tire off tomorrow and cutting steel. The only difference I see is to use angle instead of flat stock.

Quick and simple. How did you ground it?

Interesting you ask about the ground. I don't understand what all the hoopla about grounding is all about...

Unless you install something wrong, the antenna is grounded through the shield on the coax cable back to the radio which is grounded through the power leads. I found no need to ground either of these antennas any more than that. The ham antenna (a Comet SBB-5, designed to be ground independent) tuned down to a SWR of less than 1.5:1 The CB antenna has a SWR of less than 2:1 on most channels. A CB only puts out less than 5 watts which is practically nothing. These numbers are just fine for everyday use. I'm not sure they could be any better anyway with the antennas sandwiched between the tire and the top.

I would just make your mount and try it out. You can always add a ground later. But in my experience when people start adding grounds to solve problems they are having, it is usually something other than the ground that is the root cause of the problem.

:beer:

Alter Ego
03-23-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm a big fan of good antenna mount grounds. So are antenna manufacturers.
Firestik's opinion (http://firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Mnt-Grnd.htm)

jdrogers
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
The path to ground must be sufficient enough to carry the power being applied to the antenna.

I agree with their statement 100%!! My experience with a 5 watt CB is that the braided shield on a quality coax cable will provide this path to ground.

And adding a larger path cannot hurt either!

jonb96150
03-24-2009, 07:12 AM
I used flat braided stainless cable for the rf grounding on my Landcruiser. Connected it to all the major body pieces, frame, engine, even the radiator (brass) but I had an HF radio in it.

I've been wondering about antenna mounts on the JK. Not much of a ground plane on it so I guess the HF is staying in the Cruiser, and I'll get a 2m antenna that does not require a ground plane. But I think I will still run a few pieces of that braided cable for g.p.

Can't stand CB anymore, I think I'll just get a handheld for the trail.

USAntigoon
03-24-2009, 07:40 AM
CB mounts on the tailgate are never going to give you satisfaction with the 11m band..I have a mount on the tire carrier for 2 meter and that works fine..(the tailgate is grounded to the tub with a braided strap..) I ended up installing the CB mount on the RH outside rear panel of the tub.. Had to make some holes but there is a counterpoise for sure..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3438/3194083558_d30113b2af.jpg

jdrogers
03-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Can't stand CB anymore, I think I'll just get a handheld for the trail.

I agree with jonb96150 and USAntigoon about the amount of grounding and RF isolation required to operate a quality radio system down in the HF bands in a Jeep. Lots and lots of work to get a clean signal.

But since I only want to use a CB to communicate with other Jeeps on a trail ride where you only need about a mile of good signal, just about any antenna setup will work. I have friends that just plug their CB into the lighter outlet and set a magnet mount antenna on an inner fender in the back of the tub.

I have tried to use a handheld CB in the past and found they just don't work very well. They cost as much or more than a small CB with a small antenna and are much more fragile. I have my CB mounted under my seat. It is out of the way and when we are actually on a trail ride I just drop the microphone over the center console or have the passenger do communications. This setup works great on trail rides.

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/cbradio.jpg

For "real" communications or for emergencies, I have my ham rig which works very well.

Xish077
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess ill attempt to make a similar braket to what jdrogers did, save a little bit of money. Now to ground it, I guess I will just make another hole into it, and run a ground wire to the tailgate, then run some stainless steel braided cable to the car itself? Is that a good setup? What guage or type of wire should i use to ground it. I was under the impression the smaller the guage, the larger the wire, and the better it is for grounded.

Xish077
03-24-2009, 11:33 AM
And i currently have my cobra mounted next to the gear shift, but it makes it difficulty, actually impossible, to move the passanger seat foward for backseaters to get in. Does anyone have their radios mounted underneath the glove box? I think I might try to zip tie the bracket up there.

jonb96150
03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
When I said braided cable, I actually meant braided strap as UsAntigoon (are you against goons or are you from Antigua?) pointed out. You want a flat piece of strap, as Rf grounding is based on the surface area of the strap.

USAntigoon
03-24-2009, 07:43 PM
When I said braided cable, I actually meant braided strap as UsAntigoon (are you against goons or are you from Antigua?) pointed out. You want a flat piece of strap, as Rf grounding is based on the surface area of the strap.

No.. no.. This name is a blend of US with Antigoon (Druon Antigoon) was a mythical figure who used to live in Antwerp (Belgium) The City I was born..

jonb96150
03-25-2009, 07:31 AM
No.. no.. This name is a blend of US with Antigoon (Druon Antigoon) was a mythical figure who used to live in Antwerp (Belgium) The City I was born..

Ahhhhhh, of course lol!

Xish077
03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Okay so my CB is fully installed, antenna mount and all. I used it with a friend and it worked up to approx 4 miles away through a suburban area. Has anyone used their CB without tuning it? Is tuning it and grounding the antenna a MUST? He said I sounded loud and clear and only started to get fuzzy once i was at approx 4 miles.

jdrogers
03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Is tuning it and grounding the antenna a MUST? He said I sounded loud and clear and only started to get fuzzy once i was at approx 4 miles.

No, not a must, but if you have access to a SWR meter I would tune it since it is easy to do and it can make the radio's job easier. If you have properly attached a good coax you have grounded the antenna. Could you "ground" it more? Sure. But why bother if your installed the CB mainly for trail rides. If you installed the CB for important or emergency communications, well then, good luck... :shaking:

Sounds like you did an excellent job! Where are the pictures???

Xish077
03-30-2009, 06:51 AM
No, not a must, but if you have access to a SWR meter I would tune it since it is easy to do and it can make the radio's job easier. If you have properly attached a good coax you have grounded the antenna. Could you "ground" it more? Sure. But why bother if your installed the CB mainly for trail rides. If you installed the CB for important or emergency communications, well then, good luck... :shaking:

Sounds like you did an excellent job! Where are the pictures???

I'll take some pics and try to get them up here today. It worked great for what I need it for so I think my installation is complete. Just need to brainstorm for somewhat of a better mounting option. You will see what I mean when I post the pics. Also with the Teraflex mount and the antenna quick disconnect, my antenna seems to be leaning a littttttle bit to one side :shaking:. Pics to follow...:bounce:

jdrogers
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
... seems to be leaning a littttttle bit to one side :shaking:.

Everyone's leans to one side or the other! :laughing:

Alter Ego
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Once again, thanks to jrodgers for the idea. Heres the mount I made.

The mount
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/tomjefferson/P3300050.jpg

Wiring inside the tailgate. The coax (heavy black wire) goes through the hole on the right and the ground (red wire) goes through the hole on the left. Both exit the door through the rubber hole plug on the passenger side of the tire mount. I know ground wires aren't supposed to be red but that's the largest gauge stranded wire I had laying around. Notice the large loop of coax on the left side of the picture. This is so when the tailgate shuts, the coax is not bent as sharply or kinked.
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/tomjefferson/P3300047.jpg

Here's the ground strap that's attached to the red wire that's attached to the bolt that holds the angle iron to the tire mount. Its very flexible so I just tie wrapped it to the tailgate wire sheath.
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/tomjefferson/P3300045.jpg

I just reinstalled the old 24" Firestik II that was previously mounted inside. The best SWR I could get with this is 1.4:1. When it was inside I had 1.1:1. I will be changing to a 36" Wilson flexible antenna with a spring and a quick disconnect soon. That should get me a little over a foot above the roofline yet be very tolerant of tree branches. I bet the SWR will improve too.
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/tomjefferson/P3300051.jpg

Xish077
03-31-2009, 11:34 AM
My firestik....

I ran the coax cable underneath the passanger seat, up thru the roll cage and thru the tailgate. Cut a hole in the rubber grommet and it worked out perfect.

I attached the mount to the gear shift area with some velcro...

And here is the Teraflex mount. Super fast shipping by the way!

LeJerk
03-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Do you guys that have the antenna mounted to the tailgate have problems with it slamming against the hard top?

I was riding with a buddy last summer with a setup like this and ever now and then it would bang the hell out of the hard top from going back and forth.

Gotlime?
03-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Do you guys that have the antenna mounted to the tailgate have problems with it slamming against the hard top?

I was riding with a buddy last summer with a setup like this and ever now and then it would bang the hell out of the hard top from going back and forth.

IT hits sometimes. Doesn't bother me.