Anyone with an aftermarket Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver?? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Anyone with an aftermarket Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver??

mcnaught6
03-21-2009, 07:56 PM
does anyone here have an aftermarket sirius satellite receiver for a car?

i'm looking at something like the starmate 5 or the sportster 5. i was hoping someone had some info on how one of these are installed in a car and what the quality is like.

when they are installed in cars, where does the antenna go? where do these get power from? are there wires hanging out?

i read something about the sportster 5 being able to use the aux input on headunits, or an FM transmitter. (from what i read it seemed like there was an option).

from my past experience with FM transmitters for ipods, they suck. but, i don't want to have a wire hanging around to plug into the aux input either.

Mr.RonGilbert
03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
I have the Starmate 5 that I use in multiple vehicles and at home. I have the antenna on the roll bar right over and above the drivers seat. The flat antenna fits just right underneath the roll bar cover. The package comes with several different mounts from a suction cup mount to a mount that goes on the AC vent and one that can be drilled directly onto something. I stuck mine in the lower panel underneath the esp switch. Outta sight a bit and still visible to see what/who is on. I used the FM direct cable. The FM transmitter sucks in Houston. The FM direct cable gets its power from the same source as the tuner and attaches in line with your stock antenna (needs a $10 adapter). I spliced into the cigarette plug for power and drilled a little hole behind the tuner so there are no wires hanging out. I will take some pics later today and get them posted up.

I love mine - paid $400 for the lifetime subscript... plus another $100 of the best of xm for life.

Along with my iPod I am good to go when it comes to my tunes. Just need to get some bass in there somewhere. Not thump the windows bass... just a little more low end to make it sound right. Still looking at options that will work when the top is off.

I see your location.... you 101?

Mr.RonGilbert
03-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Apologies for the delay McN. Been a crazy week.

Here is where I mounted mine.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/DIY/P3290201.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/DIY/P3290199.jpg

Just drilled a little hole in the middle of the lower panel. Then drilled holes for the swivel mount and pulled the wires through.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/DIY/P3290203.jpg

I wired it in to the hot wire coming off of the cig plug using a simple quick splicer. The antenna is over the drivers seat in the roll bar. There is a good spot right in the corner.

I like it down and out of the way. Keeps it out of sight - I still lock it up when parked.

hertoyrepairman
03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Any pointers on tearing into the dash on a JK? Gotta get to the radio, and can only find two bolts for the dash panels. Just bought the wife her toy, new 09 JK. We had her XM receiver plugged into the FM radio, which was really easy in her Liberty. Cant quite figure out the dash yet in this one. Haven done custom radios in her last two Jeeps, a 2000 Wrangler and 2002 Liberty, but this one doesnt look fun. Thanks for the help in advance.:beer:

Mr.RonGilbert
03-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Any pointers on tearing into the dash on a JK? Gotta get to the radio, and can only find two bolts for the dash panels. Just bought the wife her toy, new 09 JK. We had her XM receiver plugged into the FM radio, which was really easy in her Liberty. Cant quite figure out the dash yet in this one. Haven done custom radios in her last two Jeeps, a 2000 Wrangler and 2002 Liberty, but this one doesnt look fun. Thanks for the help in advance.:beer:

There are two more screws on the lower portion, just forward of the shifters. Just pull on the lower panel and it will pop off revealing the screws. Once those four screws are out the whole panel can be pulled out. Then you will find the screws that hold the radio in.

mcnaught6
03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
thanks for the pics.

i'm thinking about putting one in m car, not the jeep - no soft top ;). the jeep already has sirius.

NxtGenCowboy
12-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Does anyone else have pictures of where they mounted an External sirius or XM unit?

I got a great deal on a Sportster 5 coming my way and was looking for ideas on where to mount..

Ipe
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Not Sirius per say... I've got an XM Pioneer Inno that I've mounted to a Daystar dash panel in the Inno car mount. I run the power and antenna cables inside the dash. The power cable is spliced into the switched power outlet and the antenna cable runs out of a grommet under the hood. The antenna itself is sitting behind one of the hood hinges. I like it where it is because I don't have to take my eyes far from the road to change channels and the antenna is protected where it is with a clear view of the sky. Overall reception is okay. It was WAY better before the merger. :pissed:

http://ipedog.smugmug.com/Other/fjk/CRW1434-01/311781433_LFFYk-L.jpg

1908_Cubbies
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I have the sportster also. I used velcro strips and mounted mine on the center console just behind the shifter. I ran the antenna wire under the passenger seat carpet and inside the bar pad and put it in the middle of the roll bar.

I hope that having it between the seats keeps it a little more out of site and less likely to be ganked!

NxtGenCowboy
12-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Awesome Setup Guys..

I got my Sportster 5 finally... now looking for more mounting options..

How else is everyone mounting there

Chris Hansen
12-18-2009, 06:50 AM
I have my xm mounted in right about the same place as mrRonGilbert. My wife hates it because I have it angled more toward me so I can easily use the remote. haha

NxtGenCowboy
12-18-2009, 06:58 AM
I have my xm mounted in right about the same place as mrRonGilbert. My wife hates it because I have it angled more toward me so I can easily use the remote. haha

I have my Daystar panel there.. that is a great spot though.