Help keeping Georgia FS roads open [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Help keeping Georgia FS roads open

gold knight
04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
*URGENT* Hi everybody, I'd like to ask a favor of any and all of you who enjoy riding on ANY of the Forest Service Roads here in GA, or if you know someone who does, and don't want to see something they enjoy being closed. This includes, but definitely not limited to, Trey Mountain, Chattahoochee River/Low Gap Road, BEASLEY KNOB, Wildcat Creek/Lake Burton area, Coleman River/Persimmon Road, etc...etc...etc...

The Forest Service has cut the funding for some of these areas, or had it cut, rather, and is wanting to know what YOU think about the fact that they may close, either permanently or yearly, some of these areas/roads. I for one do not want to see ANY of these areas closed, at all, but if they don't get people saying that they are against it, and why they like using these areas, then that's exactly what will happen.

PLEASE go to the following link, and click on the headline that says 'Forest Service Seeks Your Input' and leave a comment, either a general one, or on specific areas that you enjoy, and want to stay open! I even said that in some of the areas where camping is free, they could do like Boggs Creek was, and charge a small nightly fee, or do like Beasley, charge something like a $5 daily fee to use some of the areas that require upkeep. Let them know what you think!! These comments need to be in by APRIL 13th, so check it out & comment ASAP!! Thanks!!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/conf

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/conf/home/?cid=STELPRDB5355100&width=full

Forest Service Seeks Your Input
Road System Study set to begin on the Chattahoochee National Forest

The Forest Service is committed to balancing your needs for access to the Chattahoochee National Forest with our responsibility to sustain a productive, diverse and healthy forest. As part of this commitment, we must address crucial concerns about the future sustainability of the national forest road system. The three Ranger Districts that make up the Chattahoochee National Forest are beginning a study of the road system, and we need your input.

This transportation study will help us find a way to use our limited resources to balance the needs for access to the forest with the protection of clean water and a healthy forest. The transportation study is not a proposal or decision, but is intended to help guide us in planning future road management.

The number of overdue road maintenance projects continues to grow, while public use of our roads is increasing. Roads that cannot be adequately maintained can be dangerous to visitors and threaten forest health. They can increase sedimentation into rivers and streams, degrading water quality and impacting fish and wildlife.

Possible options that may be considered for each road include:

Maintaining at the current standard
Changing the level of maintenance (ex., from passenger car to high-clearance vehicle)
Adding seasonal restrictions
Implementing year-long closures
Decommissioning

We need to hear from you by April 13

We want to learn from you which roads are important to you and why. We will consider your input along with other factors including management access needs, benefits, risks and costs. Before any actions are taken we will provide more opportunities for you to participate in the decision making process.

Use our online comment form to view maps and provide your input to us. You may also find hardcopy planning maps and comment forms at the local Ranger District and Forest Supervisor's offices. We will consider all comments received before April 13, after which the official comment period for this first phase of the study will close. Your input is very valuable to us, and we thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful comments.

flyingbrian
04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Will do...

Sent from an unknown location that Google can't map..

frenchlayer
04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
dunder

bnb2010
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jkhauler
04-06-2012, 05:52 AM
why do I see another Project Tellico in our future? We're about to get railroaded boys. ORV in GA is about to not exist any longer. I've emailed them.

Hoosier
04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Done

SurfnSnow
04-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Done, even though I'm in Ca.

SEVENSLAT4X4
04-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Done, even though I'm in Ca.

Wow!!! Thanks... Done here as well!

Redrockjeepin
04-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Done... Although i really think they have probably already made the decision.

jeepndel
04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
In a situation like this, we can offer up somethings to help THEM keep OUR roads open.

1. Suggest an expansion of their Adopt-a-Trail program, where locals take on the maintenance and erosion control work, under their guidelines and even supervision.

2. Become their work force when they say they can't do it -- put up their signs; pack out trash for them; be the manpower.

3. Perhaps find some way to limit use during the times of year when most trail damage is done; yet keep the road open the rest of the year unitil more measures can be implemented to make all the trails year-round routes.

4. Heck, before a closure, suggest limiting the number of rigs on a trail system, or a (don't shoot me) permit system so those who do go are doing it right and not doing damage.

5. Volunteer for work projects to fix specific problems. Put together a team of workers and just get it done (for them).

6. Help them find grant money to keep your trails open (such as the RTP program that BlueRibbon Coalition worked so hard to get for us, using federal highway tax money).

7. Volunteer to staff up information stations (kiosk, trail entry points, whatever), and handout brochures or home made flyers that talk about how to do it right for the area in concern.

Form a COALITION for the areas in question, or a FRIENDS group. Something like Friends of GA Trails. :koolaid:
More on how to form an informal coalition here at http://www.delalbright.com/Articles/coalitions.htm

Del