HELP PLEASE- trouble codes.... [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: HELP PLEASE- trouble codes....

StubEXrube
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Last week my MIL (check engine light) came on. I took it to the dealership and they cleared it. They said the code was stored and not active. They gave me no further information.

Three days later, the MIL came on again. I took it to the dealership again, and asked them to tell me what code(s) were coming up. They gave me no code #'s, but said that the scan was showing 3 codes:

* idle control
* torque converter
* emissions

I am supposed to take it back for service in 3 days from now.

*Does anyone have any info that might help me to determine what the possible cause of these 3 codes is? I am trying to find out as much as possible before the service tech decides to experiment with diagnosis of the system. Thanks to anyone that can give me possible causes or areas for them to look into.

WTF_LOL
03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Wish there was a bit more information. For example freeze frame data...I wonder if all three came from the same condition or if they were seperate.

To be honest Stub, I think not knowing which of those happened at the same time might make it hard to guess at.

You may swing by an auto parts store and see if the codes are still in there and if they are, ask for the freeze frame data to see what operating conditions were present at the time they occured.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help

My initial guess is something retarded like a vacume line somewhere.

Have you noticed any vibrations at around 40ish mpg?
how has your engine idel felt?
have you ever been with a man?
Did the CEL trigger while you were driving or when the engine started?

StubEXrube
03-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Have you noticed any vibrations at around 40ish mpg?
how has your engine idel felt?
have you ever been with a man?
Did the CEL trigger while you were driving or when the engine started?

* No vibrations at all.
* Engine idle has always felt perfect (except when the steering column got wet several weeks ago and the ETC- throttle control & ESP light came on briefly until I dried the area with a compressor).
* Only once and I was really drunk....thought he was a woman.
* The first time it came on while I was driving. The 2nd time was during start-up.

I have checked the battery and alternator voltage, the gas cap, the evap canister and connections, and have heard that there is probably not enough mileage for it to be an O2 sensor.

SDMF
03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Are you asking him out on a date WTF?

StubEXrube
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
come on guys.... I need some help here if anyone's able.

SDMF
03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm zero help Stub, I can't come up with any ideas that would link those three things together. :shaking:

WTF_LOL
03-16-2009, 12:13 PM
come on guys.... I need some help here if anyone's able.

those are pretty vague stub...If we knew what part of the emisions lit the CEL that would help. It is certainly possible that the emisions and idle are related but I cant think of a way that the TC is invloved.

If you can get the specific codes it will narrow down what exact system or process lit the code. If we had the operating parameters when they lit it could help some more.

To be honest, I can not think of how those can be related with only that info and being that there was no problems you are experiencing.

I am guessing at least one of those is a bi product or false trigger

Most any autoparts store should be able to pull the codes for you.

StubEXrube
03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
thanks scott. im thinking a false code in there as well. and x2 on the TC- cant see how that's related. I just hope i'm not in for some big nightmare with this deal. I've got way more than enough to handle right now. Yea- they wouldn't give me code # specifics.

thanks again.

WTF_LOL
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
well, I have a OBDII reader in my jeep, swing by and I will check them for you :thefinger:

Good to see you around stube, hope all is going ok. My feeling is it is not a very big issue, more like a chain of events from something retarded.

StubEXrube
03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks again Scott for the input.

Since this MIL has come on (twice), I have not put on many continuous hwy miles on the jeep.

So like I said- the dealership scanned it earlier today- but didn't clear anything. So when I left the dealership the light was still on.

* Then this afternoon, this happens: I had to take a continuous (15- 20 mile) trip on the hwy. By the time I got back into town, the MIL light turned itself off. A few more miles around town, and the MIL is still off.

Now I am not even sure it needs to go in on Thurs morning to the service tech.

(??????)- any input on this latest turn of events?

WTF_LOL
03-16-2009, 03:10 PM
many times a code (or codes) can be triggered for many false reasons, a hickup in the system, a missreading setting off an event, etc.

Most CEL's reset based on certain creiteria and even severity. Usually they reset based on things like miles driven, restarts, closed cycles, etc. Sounds like there was only a single event that triggured them and that the reset cycles have completed with no other issues resetting the light.

Since those cels were so random and you are not experienceing any issues I would not worry. I have had my CEL come on and after a couple restarts it went away. Jeep has a pretty chitty ECU in my opinion. seems pretty common for it to bug out.

I would place my money on a false event that triggured all those codes. I would also be willing to bet that if you could see the operating parameters from the event that triggured it, that they would all have happened at the same time even though they are unrelated.

With that said, even though I feel it was a missreading, I would still recommend stopping by a autoparts store and getting the actual codes and flash data that includes the operating conditions when they triggured and I might be able to add more. I would say if you are not experiencing any issues with your rig and the CELs do not relight then F#ck the dealership. However, that is just me, I do not always play it safe so do not sue me if I am wrong, lol /disclaimer