x-fer case clicking [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: x-fer case clicking

toadontheroad
11-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I took the Rubi to Hollister Hills yesterday and spent the majority of the time in 4lo. Man it was great! One thing bugged me, though. There seemed to be excessive backlash coming from the transfer case. sounded like ALOT of click between the gears during uneven progress or hesitation (like between big rocks). None of my Fords sounded this loose. Is this normal?

PhilD
11-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Can't say if it is normal or not, but mine is the same. I've had other 4x4's that do the same in 4Lo. I'm not losing any sleep over it ;)

93country
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Are you driving a standard?
I know if you are that when you are in low range and you push the clutch in and hit the brakes (like when you are going down over an obstacle) you can hear what sounds like a slapping. I have been told by many long time wheelers (jeep drivers) that this is the pinion gear slapping the ring in the front diff (definately where it sounds like its coming from on mine) I could be wrong though.

If you have an Auto you shouldn't hear that though becasue the torque converter keeps pressure on the drive line whenever you are in gear.

toadontheroad
11-27-2007, 08:35 AM
That must be it. Yeah, I am driving the 6 speed and all my other 4x's were auto. I did run a 4x2 manual and I don't remember any "slapping" sound. But you're saying it's only the front diff? Is that because it's pulling, not pushing? :hmph:

93country
11-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I am not sure what the reason is that the noise only comes from the front. At least it only sounds like the front to me.