Shrockworks Rear Bumper Revealed!!!! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Shrockworks Rear Bumper Revealed!!!!

John L
11-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Shrockworks has released some pics on their website, I think they did an excellent job. Thanks guys!!

MichaelW
11-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Manufacturer ShrockWorks
Part #: JJKW1-RBPR-01A
Fits: Jeep JK Wrangler 2007-2008

Coming soon! Pics are of the prototype and represent pretty much exactly how it will look. We are working on the tire carrier right now. We will post more details and pricing as it becomes available.

As of 11/19/07 we are expecting to have pricing and begin taking orders on the bumper only version in a few weeks. It will probably be about a month before we have pics, details and pricing on the tire rack version. We expect the tire rack version to begin shipping in about 3-4 months and the bumper only in about 2 months.

http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_645.jpg

http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_646.jpg

http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_647.jpg

http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_648.jpg

http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_649.jpg

http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_650.jpg

Shrockworks (http://www.shrockworks.com/)

wanderingtrail
11-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Okay, bye bye Rockhard bumper, hello Shrockworks...

Ron

JK Wheeler
11-20-2007, 01:28 PM
that is a really good looking bumper:grinpimp:

dayton1999
11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
There is also a stubby version that Jim and Nick are working on and should have pix very soon.

wanderingtrail
11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
OH now I'm interested again....aarrgghh..

Ron

RubyMtnRubicon
11-20-2007, 05:27 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Poor Boy
11-20-2007, 05:56 PM
it is good looking. i'm more interested in that than a stubby rear. coming down on an unprotected corner would suck. and be expensive.

wish they could have moved that hitch up a little though...

RotorHead
11-20-2007, 06:03 PM
it is good looking. i'm more interested in that than a stubby rear. coming down on an unprotected corner would suck. and be expensive.

wish they could have moved that hitch up a little though...

They made it sound like you would still get corner coverage, it just wouldn't extend out as far past the body. That way it won't look goofy with tube fenders.

Ruskin
11-21-2007, 07:15 AM
that's a great looking bumper. Nice lines. It will be interesting to see what there full line of rear bumper options looks like in a couple of months.

wanderingtrail
11-21-2007, 11:05 AM
That looks like the factory hitch there.

Ron

JR
11-21-2007, 12:02 PM
yup, they did a damn good job. i like it.

Poor Boy
11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
They made it sound like you would still get corner coverage, it just wouldn't extend out as far past the body. That way it won't look goofy with tube fenders.

now that i would be interested in. but i want a hitch, too! \/

That looks like the factory hitch there.

Ron

is it? i've never seen one in person. it's cool that they designed around it for the people that got it.

jdemonto
11-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Nice work!!! Thats one nice bumper!!!

Jason

ToyFamily
11-26-2007, 07:53 AM
I finished up the stubby last week and we should get some pics taken this week.

As for any current concerns (my post on another forum):

"For those of you worried about width, I have mentioned to many who have asked about the rear bumper that there is two versions (even some of those posting). This is the first proto for the full width style guys who want full coverage to the edge of the flare. There is also a stubby version for the minimalist who wants to run aftermarket flares (or no flares) which I have to get out and build ASAP for you to see...we still have an ace in the hole.

Some other concerns are about the tire cut out being deeper, which isn't possible, the cut out goes as far down as possible and is basically resting on the rear crossmember. Take your stock bumper off or crawl under your jeep and look at the restrictions we are working with.

This crossmember also comes into play on the prefered location and integration of a hitch. We could have choosen to integrate a hitch but had to choose above or below that crossmember. We weighed the pros and cons such as loss of clearance, hitch height, weight addition for structural support, etc. and looked at the different changes need to the current design we have ended up with and chose what we did as the best general option. Why kill clearance and add wieght when there is already a substantial tow point available? What if Joe customer doesn't want to tow anything but requires more clearance?....What about making it a possible option to be able to do both?

and we are working on getting a good deal on stock location hitches for you guys who don't have them...

All questions we have asked ourselves and weighed.

The question/statement about the tire carrier flex and moving it toward the center of the vehicle: Good point, it has and will be taken into consideration. And as someone stated there is only so far it can be moved toward the center due to tailgate interference...we are walking the fine line already and working on solutions to try and take care of both and more situtuations.

The mounting hasn't totally been finalized but as it stands the mounts catch both the side and bottom of the frame and the recovery points are directly intergrated.

We are working on making our product with function in mind and enough options to make it as generally pleasing as possible. We are working long and hard to accomplish this and our current orders. We appriciate the feedback and try as much as possible to take it into consideration, in some cases we have already addressed the issues and other cases try to include options prefered. And as always:

"You can please some of the people all of the time,
or you can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Nick

bmcollier
11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
As a new owner of a Shrockworks stubby front, I'm looking forward to matching it up in the rear. I have to say that in a weird way it actually makes me feel good to do business with these guys...their stuff is of the highest quality from what I have experienced, and I have NEVER seen a company so willing to openly take suggestions from the public concerning design. Definitely a dying breed; kudos.

shrockworks
11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Pic of the stubby....

http://www.shrockworks.com/Forum_Images/JKStubbyRear.jpg

On the hitch, we thought about this a lot. As with most things, there are trade-offs whichever way you go. Here is our reasoning.

The stock hitch sits right on the bottom of a frame cross member, it is very strong, it is removable and a lot of people already have it. In order to do an integrated hitch in the bumper, it would only make sense to put it above the frame crossmember. Putting it in-line with the frame crossmember would mean making the whole bumper stick out a lot further from the back of the Jeep in order to have a useable length receiverÖ..not good. Putting it above means raising the tire about 3Ē from where we will be putting and would mean very little view out the back with a big tire. It would also mean a tire carrier would be mandatory for anything larger than a stock tire.

Where we are putting it is high enough to keep it from dragging but will give more visibility than if the hitch was mounted higher. If you are a hard-core guy, just leave the hitch off. Even if you leave it on, you may drag it sometimes, but it wonít hold you up (my experience with a lot of wheeling in my JK), itís strong enough that you wonít damage it, and Iíd rather grind and beat up a removable receiver hitch than the actual bumper.

If you donít already have the factory hitch, we will offer one you can buy with the bumper.

Ipe
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I like this stubby! It looks nice, Very Nice! :smokin:

Alec W
11-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I really like the stubby too, nice job. How big of a tire will fit without the carrier?

BirdsFanVa
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Man that thing looks awesome! I know I am in the market for some new bumpers and why not match my rockrails!

shrockworks
11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I really like the stubby too, nice job. How big of a tire will fit without the carrier?

We haven't tested it yet but the plan is for it to hold a 35" tire w/o the carrier. Should be tested by the end of the week.

John L
11-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Very nice looking stubby, I may have to re-evaluate my "don't put on any more steel" policy.........;)

BTW, how much does it weigh?

Great job, thanks!!

Duke
11-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Pic of the stubby....

http://www.shrockworks.com/Forum_Images/JKStubbyRear.jpg

I will buy this bumper. When do you expect it to be available with a tire carrier. It will work great with my stubby front.

wanderingtrail
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
I've run plenty of bumpers from other people on my TJ's and LJ. I'm pretty much sold on shrockworks stuff. Does the rear stubby bumper cover the sides of the rear corner, just like the full width does? If so you definately have my order.

Ron

ToyFamily
11-28-2007, 05:53 AM
The stubby does not wrap around the corner totally to the fender, it stops at the sharp body line that the outer edge of the top. (make sense :laughing:. it is only 1/4" wider than the body. That is why we offer two versions. But the outer rear most corner of the bumper is about 3-4" from the tub giving good corner protection.

Nick

Alec W
11-28-2007, 06:34 AM
We haven't tested it yet but the plan is for it to hold a 35" tire w/o the carrier. Should be tested by the end of the week.
Iím running 37s. When do you think you will have the carrier version ready to sell?

BlkRuby
11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Anychance for pic from the side of the stubby?

Also, how about putting the tire on a angle? Think it would look real badass.

Over The Hill
11-29-2007, 08:51 PM
That's nice.

Anyone want to buy my Jeeperman bumper? I've learned over the last year, to wait longer. The good stuff takes longer to come out. Live and learn.

TORN
12-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I like the stubby and will buy it. I would like to see a swing-out tire carrier with it first.

Krunchytaco
01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
How are things progressing with these bumpers??
It's damn close to tax time and I need to give away some money before "Uncle Sam" takes it all!

ToyFamily
03-12-2008, 07:15 AM
It will hold up to a 37" tire, adjustable both vertically and in and out for different backspaced wheels and tire size. This allows a wide range of wheel options and maximum visibility for different tire sizes. It is designed to be modular to use all the space possible. Ditching the old tube style carrier system and going with a formed 3/16" design allowed it to be light weight while not sacraficing strength, putting material where it's needed and losing it where it's not. Doing this has taken the usual 3 or 4 contact points where the tube attaches to the swing arm and expanded it over the whole length of the arm making it more rigid. There are mounting holes all along the top edge for bolting on additional accessories (gas can, HiLift) or what you can fab up taking advantage of every inch available. It contacts both the stock rubber bumps on the tailgate as well as an additional adjustable bumper to ensure no rattle or bounce of the carrier with a stainless backing plate for bolting to the tailgate to protect the paint and strengthen the contact area. A standard lisc. plate mount to relocate the license plate inside of tire with LED Light and 3rd brake light which is easily removable to remove the spare tire and it too adjusts to different backspaced wheels. Also integrated mounts for lights in the bumper .....there's the quick run down...

Shown on a Full Width Rear but will be available for both styles of bumper.

Nick

C-rog
03-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Looks almost exactly like my LOD bumper without the tool box or tire carrier.

And does look just like the Pure Jeep bumper but more clearance

I do like it though it's a good cross, I have Shrockworks rock rails so I know they'll be constructed very well.

ToyFamily
03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
There are only so many ways to skin a cat...the details are what set bumpers apart, we're trying to have them covered.

Nick

wanderingtrail
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I was trying to decide between the shrockworks and expedition bumpers. Guess I don't need to decide anymore.

Ron

venom
03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I understand concerns about the hitch - I've whacked the crap outta mine a bunch of times.
what about making a skid plate that goes into the receiver?
They make them for front vehicle hitches to help slide over stuff, but what would slide for the front would hang and dig on the back.
Something like this, but with the skid shaped to slide the other way
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ct/C31007.jpg
As long as it didn't get crushed to the receiver and become permanent :mr-t:

RubyMtnRubicon
03-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Any hint on pricing?

ToyFamily
03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
No pricing for a few more weeks we are gathering all the info and still getting quotes.

Nick

jeepik
03-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Nick, i put myself on the waiting list,

small suggestion, can you guys include plastic hole plugs for the holes in the tire carrier

for those of us in the rust belt, this will help tremendously to keep the elements from the inside of the carrier assembly

thanks

C-rog
03-14-2008, 03:45 PM

small suggestion, can you guys include plastic hole plugs for the holes in the tire carrier

for those of us in the rust belt, this will help tremendously to keep the elements from the inside of the carrier assembly

thanks

You can get small rubber grommets from the dealership just tell them the diameter of the hole.

venom
03-14-2008, 03:49 PM
the tire carrier appears to be made of channel, not box tubing so the holes don't lead anywhere
not 100% but thats what it looks like

PhilD
03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
It looks like the carrier bolts on, does this mean it will be backwards compatible with your rear bumpers without the carrier?

usmcdoc14
03-14-2008, 05:59 PM
thats friggen pimp. keep us informed on the timeline for that.

ToyFamily
03-17-2008, 03:10 PM

thanks

This is not tubing, not channel, it starts as a flat laser cut plate and is CNC broke. Those holes on the top edge are for bolting your accesories on, there is no back or box. There is strategic supports and openings to allow powdercoat to get to all the tight spots and allow any standing water to drain.

It looks like the carrier bolts on, does this mean it will be backwards compatible with your rear bumpers without the carrier?

That is not the plan at this time. The holes would be there on the non tire carrier (caps for them) but unless you can weld it on it is not an option. We desgined the carrier to be as solid as possible so we sacrficed that option in going the support direction we did.

Nick

toadontheroad
03-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Looks like the tire will hang out further than the bumper. Is the step needed to clear the tire, or is it just a step? If so, why make the sides angled? Why not just perpendicular?

NE Wrangling
03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
So there is no way for the toolbox in the bumper to be added? I'm heading towards LOD because of this one small detail. D-rings and tow straps will more than likely land in it.

the cdogg
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
So there is no way for the toolbox in the bumper to be added? I'm heading towards LOD because of this one small detail. D-rings and tow straps will more than likely land in it.

From what I have heard about the LoD, the toolbox is tiny and not waterproof so a tow strap will eventually rot (my experience when they are left out to get wet) and the d-rings will clank all around inside it, provided they fit. I keep both those items in the storage area in the rear.

ToyFamily
03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Here is a pic with the center transparent to show what we are working with (frame yellow) the tire is a 37" and is recessed into the bumper, we extended it all the way to the back for a step and to reduce the assembly difficulty.

Nick

RotorHead
03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Looks fantastic. So the stubby will be identical except wacked off on the ends, correct?

ToyFamily
03-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Basically. They are completely different ends but the centers are the same.

dayton1999
03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Here is a pic with the center transparent to show what we are working with (frame yellow) the tire is a 37" and is recessed into the bumper, we extended it all the way to the back for a step and to reduce the assembly difficulty.

Nick

Nick,

Is there enough room to fit a 10lb CO2 tank instead of the HiLift jack?

ToyFamily
03-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Nick,

Is there enough room to fit a 10lb CO2 tank instead of the HiLift jack?

It's close, the inside edge of the HiLift bracket to the edge of the tail light is approx. 6 3/4" I don't have the tank size at hand at the moment.

Nick

mcnaught6
03-20-2008, 03:41 PM

don't buy the LOD bumper for the toolbox. the toolbox is too small to put anything useful in it - even a cheap wal-mart tow strap won't fit in it. you might be able to put actual small hand tools in it, but they would rattle around inside and drive you nuts. also, the toolbox is not sealed, so anything you put in it will get soaked and rusted/ruined.

the LOD toolbox is useless. they should have made it like shrockworks is making their bumper, so that the spare tire can sit lower and give you better visibility out the rear window.

MarcM
04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Those are great looking bumpers!

NE Wrangling
04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advise, The other forum I had someone that actually owned one state that is where their tow strap was and tow shackle receiver hitch. He lined it with neoprene I think to prevent rattling and the reciever was in a Plastic baggie. There allot of them out there that look the same and right now I'm planning to wait for them to come down a little once the used market starts to pickup. Rather use the money on re-gearing. If I could see something anything local in New England I'd have a better comfort in investing in one of these bumpers. I'm not convinced they don't start rattling after a year of use.

CO Hummer
04-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I've had the rear on order since 1/21/08. I'm told my Jim at Shrockworks that my order will ship at the end of the month because I was one of the first to order. :smokin:

Alec W
04-12-2008, 06:27 AM
I've had the rear on order since 1/21/08. I'm told my Jim at Shrockworks that my order will ship at the end of the month because I was one of the first to order. :smokin:

Hopefully you get it before winter so you can go wheeling with it :D:D

ToyFamily
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I did some rearranging for those who wanted 2 cans and HiLift and a 37" and...:grinpimp:

Nick

tgrt
05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Is it almost ready? I have my money in hand and I'm waiting for it. I assume you still have a modular design so we can fab up our own stuff that you won't be doing.

dayton1999
05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Is it almost ready? I have my money in hand and I'm waiting for it. I assume you still have a modular design so we can fab up our own stuff that you won't be doing.

The bumper is ready and shipping (you need to call Shrockworks to find out turn time). The tire carrier and racks have been designed and built and I believe they're in testing now. Nick posted some pix on the other forum - whole system looks and works nicely.

When it's all finalized and ready to ship, I'll be looking to sell my RockHard setup and trade up. :beer:

dayton1999
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I did some rearranging for those who wanted 2 cans and HiLift and a 37" and...:grinpimp:

Nick

Dude, I just noticed you used my Rescue Green JK as the model... :grinpimp:

tgrt
05-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I was referring to the tire carrier setup with the bumper. Last I heard you couldn't upgrade to the tire carrier after buying the bumper, so I have to wait.

JR
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
*cough* WJ Bumpers *cough*

Ruskin
05-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Nick

I like the 2 cans and horizontal hi-lift. Great option for those of us that didn't like the vertical hi-lift.

CO Hummer
05-29-2008, 11:17 PM
I do like the bumper, but not sure if I should have gone with a stubby width. When PSC comes out with rear fender I'm getting those and the bumper might stick out past them. If so, I'm gonna modify it myself. 3/16th was the right thickness to use. It's not that heavy, but plenty durable. I based it on the DS real hard in Moab last weekend and took a 4" line of paint off at the corner. But it still structurally perfect.

I bashed it back off on my first try at this. Not the rock behind the bumper in this pic, but the one to the far left.
http://atkinsweb.com/shared/JEEP/03_Trips/2008/Moab_05_May/AW_045_A.jpg

http://atkinsweb.com/shared/JEEP/02_AddOns/Rear_Bumper/rear_006.jpg

ToyFamily
05-30-2008, 06:51 AM
I like the 2 cans and horizontal hi-lift. Great option for those of us that didn't like the vertical hi-lift.
After putting it together and installing it I tried alternative mounting situations and there was just enough room for the HiLift to be mounted horizontal, reducing the chance of getting it caught in tree branches, also allowing another accessory.

I do like the bumper, but not sure if I should have gone with a stubby width. When PSC comes out with rear fender I'm getting those and the bumper might stick out past them. If so, I'm gonna modify it myself. 3/16th was the right thickness to use. It's not that heavy, but plenty durable. I based it on the DS real hard in Moab last weekend and took a 4" line of paint off at the corner. But it still structurally perfect.
I bashed it back off on my first try at this. Not the rock behind the bumper in this pic, but the one to the far left.

Just the reason we did two widths. Nice to hear you beating on it already.

Dude, I just noticed you used my Rescue Green JK as the model... :grinpimp:
You didn't notice it out of your driveway yesterday?

I was referring to the tire carrier setup with the bumper. Last I heard you couldn't upgrade to the tire carrier after buying the bumper, so I have to wait.
This is true we are only doing a weld in tire carrier so it needs to be ordered as one unless you plan on building your own. We are hoping to begin production beginning of July, there are alot of small details that have been gone through but still more to double check. We are very happy with everything so far, everything is solid and compact, it is still modular.

Nick

dayton1999
05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
You didn't notice it out of your driveway yesterday?

Hell, I thought my wife took it... that was you? Bastage! :thefinger: So, are you returning with a new rear bumper? :grinpimp:

ToyFamily
05-30-2008, 11:19 AM
sure....and a few R&D scratches and dents..:thefinger:

Nick

dayton1999
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
sure....and a few R&D scratches and dents..:thefinger:

Nick

Just no yota stickers, ok? God, I hate those guys! :lol: :thefinger:

tgrt
05-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Another thought, do the latches for the jerry can holders have spots for locks. We'll probably need that!

ToyFamily
05-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Another thought, do the latches for the jerry can holders have spots for locks. We'll probably need that!

The fastening part will be either a lock, bolt or clip...whatever you prefer.

Nick

tgrt
05-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Wonderful thanks.

scrogg
06-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Pics of tire swing out:

http://forum.jkboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=6292

ToyFamily
07-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Anthrecite, with a HiLift Extreme mounted
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/ToyFamily/IMG_0987.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/ToyFamily/IMG_0985.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/ToyFamily/IMG_0977.jpg

Nick

JR
07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
That's a great looking bumper. I really like Shrockworks' bumpers. My buddy has a Frontier with the front bumper too.

I just wish you did bumpers for mine.

Big A
07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
These are beautiful!

I am going to have the Bumper for sale soon, So i can get this!

It's really too bad that there is not an easy way to retrofit the new carrier on the existing bumper... :(

StubEXrube
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I AM DROOLING ON MYSELF...But wheres the stubby??

dayton1999
07-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Call or email Shrockworks for a photo. It does exist. :grinpimp:

ToyFamily
07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
These are beautiful!

I am going to have the Bumper for sale soon, So i can get this!

It's really too bad that there is not an easy way to retrofit the new carrier on the existing bumper... :(

Thanks, we opted to make it an in house fitment only to make sure there is no movement and insure alignment.

The stubby this the same bumper with different wings, it the bumper itself can be seen on our site. http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-JK-Tire-Carrier-Rear-Bumper-pr-16222.html (scroll down, it's on the right)

Nick

StubEXrube
07-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I have the front stubby already. The quality of : the steel, the construction, the design, the fitment, the finish, the welds (including the light tabs) is the best Ive ever owned...believe me when I say that Ive owned and used MANY. The welds are so clean, and the finish coat is so well applied/ cured? MADE IN USA is important to me... and you guys do the saying PROUD.I have used BOTH my winch and tow hooks for some light/ medium duty snatches, and didnt see or hear anything...Performed tasks like it was sittin on a show room floor. BTW...bumper was packed/ shipped in an excellent way , providing no damage or lost (free falling) hardware. :smokin::smokin::smokin:

SDMF
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Looks badass, I think the stubby is going to find it's way on my jeep sometime next year. :beer::beer:

ColinW
07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Wow, great pics Nick...looks awesome...thanks! Hope you still have that list...although I am probably no where near the top.