Bilstein Steering Stabilizer good/bad? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer good/bad?

ESP123
02-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Looking for input on this stabilizer. It's the monotube HD gas one found on quadratec, northridge, ect... Have those who have installed this notice any pulling to the left afterwards while driving? If so is there a way to adjust the shock to compensate for this? I have 33x12.5R15 currently and no problems with the stock SS was just thinking of trying this but a few have pointed out the gas charge in them pushes the JK to the left.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

numb_crna
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I put the Bilstein SS in when I did the DIY SS Relocate (link: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57014).

Its been over three months and three wheeling trips including a Black / Red run at RC-- no issues or worries with either the SS or the DIY relocate bracket.

:gluging:

block
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
i tried the bilstein one... it pushed my rig to the left... so i took it off and went with the new fox one.. works better for me. seem like it pushes some rigs. but other people seem to like it.

PhrogMech46
02-04-2012, 01:46 PM
i tried the bilstein one... it pushed my rig to the left... so i took it off and went with the new fox one.. works better for me. seem like it pushes some rigs. but other people seem to like it.

Pushed mine as well on my two door but feels just fine on my 4 door.

ESP123
02-04-2012, 02:18 PM
When you say it pushed it do you mean while you drove or only once you let go of the steering wheel? Any problems with the ESC while using it?

PhrogMech46
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
When you say it pushed it do you mean while you drove or only once you let go of the steering wheel? Any problems with the ESC while using it?

When I let go of the wheel on the freeway I would change lanes and I could feel it trying to pull while driving straight, took it off and no issues.

ESP123
02-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Whats a good alternative to the one by Bilstein? I've heard nothing but good things about their reg shocks but is this also common with other SS?

PhrogMech46
02-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Whats a good alternative to the one by Bilstein? I've heard nothing but good things about their reg shocks but is this also common with other SS?

I used a kyb one that wasnt gas charged like the bilstien and it work fine. You can have this problem with any high pressure gas charged SS. It seems to be hit or miss with the Bilstiens.

DaK
02-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Have it with the relo kit, no issues.

SoK66
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I have the Billy ss combined with Poly's relocator and tie rod bracket. Works like a charm. It does push the steering to the left a bit due to being pressurised. However, you'll only noticie this if you take your hands off the wheel. As a damper it's fine and very durable.

jdemonto
02-04-2012, 04:16 PM
We use them in all of our builds no issues here

Jason

jjbooth
02-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Same here pushed my JK just enough to annoy the shit out of me......took it off and sold it to a guy that already had one on his JKU....

When I asked him why he wanted another one he said the one he had on his JK pushed his steering wheel but he liked the feel of the gas charge stabilizer. He said he was going to install the one he bought from me on the opposite direction and run a dual setup where both stabilizers would be pushing against each other.....

Anyway never heard back from him so I don't know whatever became of his setup.

OutlawJK
02-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Looking for input on this stabilizer. It's the monotube HD gas one found on quadratec, northridge, ect... Have those who have installed this notice any pulling to the left afterwards while driving? If so is there a way to adjust the shock to compensate for this? I have 33x12.5R15 currently and no problems with the stock SS was just thinking of trying this but a few have pointed out the gas charge in them pushes the JK to the left.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

This is what I would like to do
Because mine pushes left

I really notice it on longer trips
Because you have to apply pressure
All the time. If you let go of the wheel
It will move into the left lane

Sent from my iPhone

rob4607
02-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Pushed, annoying as hell, brand new laying next to my bench in the garage. The new fox one has been great though.

ESP123
02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Are you talking about the Fox SS that is really expensive? I think it's around $150 or more. No push with this one?

rob4607
02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I guess, I paid 119 for it, it's the new fat one with black stickers, it's much bigger than the regular fox or bilstein.

ESP123
02-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I need to look into the one made by fox. I'm assuming it's a hydro not a gas shock then?

block
02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
yeah the new fox one is not gas charged..tightens up the steering nicely and no push.. ive been running without a steering stab for a long time... this just adds alittle extra control . works great for my setup.. 37's

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/416889_367529549923766_100000001731636_1515631_897 000206_a.jpg

ALASHA
02-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I run one and dont notice any pushing from it...

ESP123
02-06-2012, 06:19 PM
I run one and dont notice any pushing from it...

What's your set up with it Alasha?

ALASHA
02-07-2012, 06:41 AM
What's your set up with it Alasha?

Same as stock was.

b1pig
02-07-2012, 10:40 PM
i've got the first gen fox stabilizer. it also pushed my steering to the left. since my oem stab was blowing oil out.... i just let most of the air out of mine. no more push. probably shouldnt have done it, but i spent all my money buying that one and had nothing left.

Jollydodger
02-08-2012, 10:03 AM
MONROE SC2960 Steering Damper $ 27.79

Over a hundred dollars seems like a lot for something that is just barely necessary. It's your money, just sayin..

ESP123
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Over a hundred dollars seems like a lot for something that is just barely necessary. It's your money, just sayin..

Barely necessary is pretty subjective considering the main purpose of it is to lessen or soften the impact of your steering wheel when it is jarred or moved by rocks, terrain, or the like wheeling. This is a safety issue and a control issue for jeepers when off roading. It's better to maintain control of your line and have any help you can when doing this.

Jollydodger
02-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Barely necessary is pretty subjective considering the main purpose of it is to lessen or soften the impact of your steering wheel when it is jarred or moved by rocks, terrain, or the like wheeling. This is a safety issue and a control issue for jeepers when off roading. It's better to maintain control of your line and have any help you can when doing this.

You must wheel at really high speeds.

ESP123
02-08-2012, 10:52 AM
You must wheel at really high speeds.

Yep! 75mph in 4LO all the way. I've always wondered what that grinding and snapping noise coming from my undercarriage was?

Tmidgett
04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Yep! 75mph in 4LO all the way. I've always wondered what that grinding and snapping noise coming from my undercarriage was?

Oh, I think that noise was your stabilizer. That, or your xfer case flying apart! Haha.

HITMONEY
04-16-2012, 04:01 PM

This. It really is more or less a "bling" item.

Nader..? Ralph Nader.. is that you!!?? :thefinger:

I have run the factory one, a bling FOX and then none at all, on 40's... as its been said eleventy billion times before.. set your front end up the right way and a steering stabilizer is just a nice touch to "tighten" up the "feel" of your steering. Far to many times its used to mask front end issues like ball joints, loose track bars, and generally whacked up front end geometry.

I don't think a SS could make a difference in the kinda of wheeling most of us do when off road.. I have done plenty with and without a SS and its never been a "control" or "safety" issue.. but the next time I lean my rig on a tree I am gonna blame the SS!!!! LOL!

with all that being said.. I am sure that the Bilstein is more than enough SS and would be a nice addition of bling!

rdlynch2
04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
The bilstein does pull to the left but tightens up the steering pretty well

fourplyn
04-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Ask Monster JK...he just installed one in his.. he likes it.

burnt peak
10-27-2013, 10:44 PM
I just installed my rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift im running 35 inch, bilstein 5100s, and duratracks at 30 psi with stock bumpers and no spare tire, i ordered this lift because of its obvious offroad capability but what really sold me was that every one said it rides better than stock suspension on the road. well... it rides a bit stiiffer witch i like... it tracks very strait witch i like more...but my commute is in the canyon and man my steering is stifffff in the turns at speeds over 25 or 30 mph and when hitting small bumps in those turns i get a little loose, and get play in my steering wheel. Its like the dam thing just wants to track strait and im forcing the wheels to turn. I am a really easy driver in the turns not very agressive i pull over multiple times in the canyon on the way to work to let others by so im not exceeding any limits in the turns... im wandering if the bilstein stabilizer will solve this problem???? any suggestions?

planman
10-28-2013, 06:14 AM
I just installed my rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift im running 35 inch, bilstein 5100s, and duratracks at 30 psi with stock bumpers and no spare tire, i ordered this lift because of its obvious offroad capability but what really sold me was that every one said it rides better than stock suspension on the road. well... it rides a bit stiiffer witch i like... it tracks very strait witch i like more...but my commute is in the canyon and man my steering is stifffff in the turns at speeds over 25 or 30 mph and when hitting small bumps in those turns i get a little loose, and get play in my steering wheel. Its like the dam thing just wants to track strait and im forcing the wheels to turn. I am a really easy driver in the turns not very agressive i pull over multiple times in the canyon on the way to work to let others by so im not exceeding any limits in the turns... im wandering if the bilstein stabilizer will solve this problem???? any suggestions?

Have you read my write-up thread and watched my two YouTube videos on Diagnosing Death Wobble and non--DW wobbles and Shimmies?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

burnt peak
10-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Yes I did! every thing is very new and tight... I installed a new rock krawler adjustable track bar with my lift and my freind did the bushing to frame side while I did the other he said it was a very tight fit and some hammering definetly tool place. We did some prying to get the upgraded 9/16 bolt in as well. The other day I was looking at that bushing and it didn't seem right it. One side is flush against the mount the other side has an 1/8 inch of rubber between the mount and the metal part of the bushing at a glance it looked like the rubber component of the bushing was pushed to one side I tried to take it off to inspect it but could not for the life of me get the bolt out on my own and I didn't wanto damage the threads attempting to. I figured tights better than loose sprayed some 336 and called it good... There is absolutely no play in it and my suspension seems to cycle just fine... Thaughts?

I also do not have death wobble symptoms it rides just fine strait and on most turns every now and then it just seems to wanto track too strait in the turns and gets a little washy with the small bumps I would expect my progressive rate sprigs and after market shocks to absorb. Could just be my tires an the fact their huge and sticky. But I was just wandering if this is normal? This lift is made for after market bumper weights and Im running stock bumpers is this just and in loaded spring issue? Am I just over thinking this whole thing?

TXCAJN
10-28-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't like the nitrogen charged stabilizer at all...I just took it off this weekend.

jeeperjkjeeper
10-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Yes I did! every thing is very new and tight... I installed a new rock krawler adjustable track bar with my lift and my freind did the bushing to frame side while I did the other he said it was a very tight fit and some hammering definetly tool place. We did some prying to get the upgraded 9/16 bolt in as well. The other day I was looking at that bushing and it didn't seem right it. One side is flush against the mount the other side has an 1/8 inch of rubber between the mount and the metal part of the bushing at a glance it looked like the rubber component of the bushing was pushed to one side I tried to take it off to inspect it but could not for the life of me get the bolt out on my own and I didn't wanto damage the threads attempting to. I figured tights better than loose sprayed some 336 and called it good... There is absolutely no play in it and my suspension seems to cycle just fine... Thaughts?

I also do not have death wobble symptoms it rides just fine strait and on most turns every now and then it just seems to wanto track too strait in the turns and gets a little washy with the small bumps I would expect my progressive rate sprigs and after market shocks to absorb. Could just be my tires an the fact their huge and sticky. But I was just wandering if this is normal? This lift is made for after market bumper weights and Im running stock bumpers is this just and in loaded spring issue? Am I just over thinking this whole thing?

have you checked your "toe" measurement? Too much toe out maybe?

burnt peak
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
That was my first thaught toe in measured 1/8 how ever it's hard to get an exact measurement on the tire I tried using the mold seam... The caster is good I only went 180 degrees out past rk specks and it tracks strait

SoK66
10-28-2013, 08:01 PM
I have the Billy ss combined with Poly's relocator and tie rod bracket. Works like a charm. It does push the steering to the left a bit due to being pressurised. However, you'll only noticie this if you take your hands off the wheel. As a damper it's fine and very durable.

Adding an update to this, I still have the Billy steering damper installed but now have Reids and Synery's drag link & tie rod. The "push" to the left diminished over time and is completely gone now. This is a really good damper.

j3ff3ry_j33p
10-28-2013, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=HITMONEY;1134196]This. It really is more or less a "bling" item.

you want a "bling" item? check out the shizzle I gotz unda my pig.....

( I only sport it 'cause I snagged it and the stabilizer relo-kit from Synergy all for $120 bucks off of CL; sure,she pushes to left a little but I don't feel anything up-to the size of a damned boulder if I ram the 35" STTs into the right or left front of it at any speed.....yeah, it's a 10" King Racing Stab with a mighty shaft and lowered gazz.....)

-EDIT for explaining that I NEVER would have paid for this thing on my own and if a well-to-do-mall-crawling-resident-doctor-in-training at Vanderbilt hadn't decided to sell it on Craigslist - & I had not been 1st responder -the King stabilizer and relocation kit from Synergy for $120 bucks , it surely would not be dampening the front steering of my JK!

jkdmevis
01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Put this on my 2013 JKU.

Pushes the vehicle to the left. Really annoying!

Took it off, threw it in the trash, and replaced it with a Teraflex (non gas charged).

Terminator2
01-20-2014, 10:34 AM

Yes any gas charged steering stabilizer (damper) in theory should cause this issue, though some more than others, but all gas charged dampers "auto extend" due to the gas charge in them and because of the gas charge they have uneven directional damping force (rebound is "faster" and less "stiff" vs compression which will be "stiffer and "slower"). For a steering stabilizer a hydro design honestly makes the most sense IMHO because it will not auto extend and will have equal directional damping force.

SoK66
01-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Wanted to add that over time the Bilstein steering stabilizer stops pushing to the left as the gas charge diminishes. I've had mine on there about three years now and it's working great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Thisguyhasadd42
01-20-2014, 07:08 PM
I've had mine on for almost two years now and it still pushed the jeep to the left. I get lucky some days and it doesn't push left, hopefully it stops all together soon!

It is very annoying but I am use to it so it will stay on the jeep until I go hydro assist.

jvandy50
01-20-2014, 09:03 PM
I gave my bilstein away, ran across a synergy stabilizer and put it on. I also put their tie rod on at the same time, my jku feels so much better it's crazy.