Poly Performance High Clearance Rocker Guards [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Poly Performance High Clearance Rocker Guards

PhilD
11-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Installed some Poly Performance High Clearance Rocker Guards (http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=71&products_id=544) over the weekend and I have to say I'm very impressed with them.

They are are very well thought out and designed, and definitely high clearance and definitely substantial.

Installation took two hours with two us (thanks Rod H). After learning from the first one, the second one went on in about 40 minutes. Having two people makes the install real easy. After doing it once I could now do it by myself, but having two people really does help and I'd recommend it.

The instructions are very detailed and easy to follow.

Cutting the body mount brackets down with a 4.5" grinder and cutting disc was pretty easy. It is easier to remove the body mount bolts first and measure the 3/4" from the mounting surface, rather than trying to do it when the bolts are in place.

After drilling the 10 pilot holes, I found you didn't have to remove the guards, just back the body mount holes out 1" or so and the will hang down clear enough to finish drilling the holes and install the nutserts.

The fit is excellent and they follow the curved sides of the JK perfectly.

Although they are very high, my 9 yr old boy and his buddies can get in and out of the vehicle easily.

I found some 1" plastic hole covers and threw them in the holes. Not sure how long they will stay there on the trail, but for now they look nice and finished.

Interestingly they have also stiffened up the body, and the squeaks, rattles, and clunks I used to get from the doors when going over potholes and the like have all disappeared.

They are not cheap, but are a quality product and if you want a high clearance and excellent protection then they are definitely worth looking at.

wanderingtrail
11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Those look really nice. Still trying to convince the wife I need these for christmas. I like the covers for the holes.

Ron

Ipe
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Those look awesome Phil! Another Poly item for the short list. :laughing:

WTF_LOL
11-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Those are looking really good.

I am still on the fence. I can not decide between those and tube style sliders. I kind of feel the tube style will offer mor protection but those look so much cleaner.

What are your opinions on the PolyP ones compared to a standard tube style rock rail?

GOAT1
11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Looks good!

PhilD
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
What are your opinions on the PolyP ones compared to a standard tube style rock rail?Well I was in two minds and couldn't decide either, until I installed these. I liked the "look" and the high clearance aspect, but once they were installed I was sold on them.

Unfortunately, due to hunting season, I won't get much of a chance to test them on some rocks until January, but I have no doubt they will work well, and will report back once I've given them a beating.

I did have some box section ones that I had made, which worked fine and doubled as a step, but they kind of looked like they should be on a jacked van ;) The Poly ones actually come out from the body about 3/4" more than my box section ones, but much higher up and they offer a very smooth sliding surface, which I really like.

I like the Shrockworks tube ones, they are very substantial and well made, and I don't think you'd go wrong with them. While looks aren't that important to me, I really do like the look of the Poly ones. the high clearance, and the way they cover everything up and offer a really nice sliding surface.

On the down side you don't get a good Hi-Lift jacking point, but that's not something I worry about, and they don't come out as far as many of the tube ones, but they will protect the body very well and do give you better clearance.

In the end it comes down to personal choice and taste, but I don't think anyone who installs these will be unhappy with them.

WTF_LOL
11-19-2007, 11:29 AM
ok great Phil. That did nit make up my mind for me, lol. They seem like a great option and out here in the northwest we actually end up sliding over stumps, mud and roots almost as much as rock so I can only imagine how nice these would feel in that situation.

On the down side you don't get a good Hi-Lift jacking point
If I got these I think I would do one of two things. Either cut out a notch for the Highlift bumper attachment
http://www.hi-lift.com/images/ph_bumperlift_large.jpg

or, Drill two holes to use the hi-lift Lift mate
http://www.hi-lift.com/images/ph_liftmate_large.jpg

Sh!t, you may even be able to use the Lift mate witht he existing holes, What do you thing Phil? would it fit and hold?

PhilD
11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Sh!t, you may even be able to use the Lift mate witht he existing holes, What do you thing Phil? would it fit and hold?I thought the same thing, and will try it one day this week, but I'm guessing you could use the existing holes okay.

RotorHead
11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow, thanks PhilD. I gotta say, I'm really digging these. Can you get a picture from underneath and one looking down from the top?

Way to represent the Big Flame Red Rubi Club. Looking good. :beer:

PhilD
11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Can you get a picture from underneath and one looking down from the top?Give me 5...

Way to represent the Big Flame Red Rubi Club.:D:D:D

Looking good. :beer:Thanks

PhilD
11-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Here ya go.

You can't really tell, but on the top side they follow the line of the JK perfectly.

I can already tell that they are going to a little scuffed on top from kids climbing in and out, but that is hardly something I will lose sleep over.

RotorHead
11-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Perfect. Thanks. It looks like they line up perfectly with the door well giving you a large flat surface to stand on. That's what I wanted to see. I love the way the cover the body mounts on the frame rails too.

I'm sold. How long did it take to get them?

PhilD
11-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm sold. How long did it take to get them?5 or 6 days.

93country
11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Those rock guards look awesome. I like how they swoop down under the body.

GOAT1
11-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Those rock guards look awesome. I like how they swoop down under the body.

The rockers hang down a little lower than needed but it gives you room to run a 1" body lift if you want, just remove some spacers and trim the body mount brackets some more.

08unlmtdx
11-24-2007, 07:17 PM
I love those rockers!!! I know this is off the topic here but....what tire size are you running? (that is a 3.5" lift right?)

PhilD
11-24-2007, 08:51 PM
what tire size are you running?36x13.50x17 Irok Radials, but I will be switching to some 37x12.50x17 KM2's next year.

(that is a 3.5" lift right?)4.5"

08unlmtdx
11-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Well it looks sweet! You've got it exactly how I want mine set up...only you're an inch and a half bigger......story of my life :bawling:

:beer:

R33F
11-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Those looks sweet PhilD. :D

lbh
12-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I took my rig out thos past weekend and gave it a good beating, these rockers were stout. They offer great protection for the 4 doors.

PhilD
12-04-2007, 07:37 AM
I took my rig out thos past weekend and gave it a good beating, these rockers were stout. They offer great protection for the 4 doors.Cool :smokin::smokin::smokin:

gcg
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Great looking sliders! I have two questions if you wouldn't mind answering. You mentioned something about grinding down the body mounts. Could you explain a little more about what's involved there. Also, how do they mount - do they attach to the frame, the body or both.

PhilD
12-04-2007, 10:03 AM
You mentioned something about grinding down the body mounts. Could you explain a little more about what's involved there.You trim one side of the front body mount bracket, one side of the rear, and on the 4 dr, both sides of the center one. It is not difficult and I doubt it weakens anything at all. The instructions (http://www.trailduty.com/docs//PPM-550X.pdf) are pretty detailed about how to do it.

Also, how do they mount - do they attach to the frame, the body or both.To the body mount bolts and then to the body, 8 bolts each side for the dr, 10 bolts each side for the 4 dr. And yes, you will need to drill holes in your body. Again the instructions (http://www.trailduty.com/docs//PPM-550X.pdf) give details on how to do this.

It would be problematic to use both body and frame mounts, as you would take away any body flex and that would not be desirable.

They are there for good once installed and are not designed to be removed (apart from when you want to do work etc), but they are definitely worth it in my view and the best solution I've seen to date. The person that helped me install mine, summed it up perfectly after installing the first one when he said, "That isn't a slider, that is armor!".

gcg
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
You trim one side of the front body mount bracket, one side of the rear, and on the 4 dr, both sides of the center one. It is not difficult and I doubt it weakens anything at all. The instructions (http://www.trailduty.com/docs//PPM-550X.pdf) are pretty detailed about how to do it.

To the body mount bolts and then to the body, 8 bolts each side for the dr, 10 bolts each side for the 4 dr. And yes, you will need to drill holes in your body. Again the instructions (http://www.trailduty.com/docs//PPM-550X.pdf) give details on how to do this.

It would be problematic to use both body and frame mounts, as you would take away any body flex and that would not be desirable.

They are there for good once installed and are not designed to be removed (apart from when you want to do work etc), but they are definitely worth it in my view and the best solution I've seen to date. The person that helped me install mine, summed it up perfectly after installing the first one when he said, "That isn't a slider, that is armor!".
Thanks for the information! I agree with your staement regarding the problems associated with mounting to both the body and frame - that's why I was curious. I have seen a couple of products that do that and it always seemed like a bad idea to me - probably something just waiting to break.

I'm considering either these or the Shrockworks product and haven't quite decided yet. I do think they look great and they seem like a good design.

Thanks again!

HUNTER
12-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Phil,
Where did you get those hole covers for your rockerguards?
Thanks
Andy

PhilD
12-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Where did you get those hole covers for your rockerguards?Lowes, but I imagine you can get them at most hardware stores, they are 1".

weaver1371
06-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Lowes, but I imagine you can get them at most hardware stores, they are 1".

Those make it look so much better. That was the only thing I didn't like about them. I may have to ditch the LOD for these....

Ipe
06-04-2010, 09:36 AM
http://ui30.gamespot.com/2845/deadthread_2.jpg

Do have to say that Phils Jeep looks a hell of a lot better nowadays :laughing:

http://www.trailduty.com/gallery/k2memorial2010/images/DSCN2638.JPG

PhilD
06-04-2010, 09:42 AM
:D :D :D

I never thought about it, but yup that is a while ago, still had Iroks back then.