New MTR's at the King of the Hammers [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: New MTR's at the King of the Hammers

Mikey's Rubi
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
These pics were posted on a local forum:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/no2hud/DSC00071.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/no2hud/DSC00065.jpg

oz97tj
03-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Is it me, or is the drivers side tires facing one way, and the passenger tires are facing the opposite?

Prope
03-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Is it me, or is the drivers side tires facing one way, and the passenger tires are facing the opposite?

They are supposed to be that way... the narrow area is supposed to be toward the inside, that's how they were designed & tested the best at least.

Gunny
03-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Are they on sale yet or just R&D?

Mikey's Rubi
03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
certain tire sizes are available. I think the 37x12.5 r17 will be available April 1st.

oz97tj
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Maybe it's an optical illusion, but they look to me like a v-tread. Something like a claw or x-terrain.

That's what I was refering to one side looks like it's facing forward, and the other side is facing the other way.

Prope
03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe it's an optical illusion, but they look to me like a v-tread. Something like a claw or x-terrain.

That's what I was refering to one side looks like it's facing forward, and the other side is facing the other way.

They do face the opposite way, but most tires do that. It's just not as obvious on other tires as your eyes want to follow that V. But according to testing, it makes no difference how you run them.

Hilldweller
03-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Any evidence that the kevlar sidewalls are showing a benefit?

Prope
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
My buddy @ goodyear says a big improvement and that they haven't been able to cut one on the trail yet! Technically, I think they say 35% improvement. I personally think the old mt/r's had the strongest "streetable" sidewall previously so any improvement will far exceed other radial tires!

a plumber
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
A really good friend of mine is a manager at Discount tire out here, he said these are going to be a great tire, he has worked at Discount for quite a while and i value his opinion. He ordered a set for his Ram 2500, hopefully i can check them out next week!

By the way if any of you Colorado guys need tires let me know and i will give you his info, he is a fellow wheeler and takes care of his own kind!

oz97tj
03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
They do face the opposite way, but most tires do that. It's just not as obvious on other tires as your eyes want to follow that V. But according to testing, it makes no difference how you run them.

ok, I understand now. Seems like it would be a good idea to offer left and right versions then like some v-tread tires.

seer
03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Didn't anyone take picts of these head on? These diagonal pictures are all photogenic and such, but a head on would sure be a nice view too. Goodyear doesn't even post up any on their site.

WTF_LOL
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
ok, I understand now. Seems like it would be a good idea to offer left and right versions then like some v-tread tires.

Thats why I don't really like them. They look directional even though they say they are not. I think directional tires are good, I just like having the option of rotating the tires all around and using my spare without having to shift tires around

PhilD
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
The first time I looked at the tread I didn't like them, but I was talking to some guys at Katemcy, that really know their stuff, that had the opportunity to test these. They said they were up there with Krawlers in terms of traction. The lower part of the sidewall flexes greatly, but the upper part (next to the rim) does not flex anywhere near as much. As a result, things like popped beads, damaged rims, etc, will be minimized.

As much as I've been impressed with KM2's, I'm sorely tempted to try some of these when the 37x12.50x17's come out, which I was told will be in the next week or so.

Although they may look it they are not directional, and supposedly work as well facing either way.

PhilD
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Didn't anyone take picts of these head on? These diagonal pictures are all photogenic and such, but a head on would sure be a nice view too. Goodyear doesn't even post up any on their site.This is the nearest I've seen to a head on pic, which is certainly close enough to give you the idea:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/img/catalog/customTabPanes/wranglerMTRKevlar/wallpaper/MudJeep800x600.jpg

WTF_LOL
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I bet thjey work really well. The biggest problem with A/t's is they gum up in mud. That picture shows the A/T strip gummed up but the voids are still self cleaning.

The biggest problem with M/T's is they don't have good traction on flat and slick like icy/wet roads. That strip down the middle will certainly help there.

I have also heard the sidewalls are nice as far as hardness.

Still just not for me, at least not yet. They will probably grow on me after a while

seer
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Thats why I don't really like them. They look directional even though they say they are not. I think directional tires are good, I just like having the option of rotating the tires all around and using my spare without having to shift tires around

Since one side points one way and the other backwards, that wouldn't affect rotating the tires.

seer
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks Phil,
I was actually hoping for one with both fronts in view. I just wanted to see how weird they really look. I'll really know in a couple of weeks. :smokin:

oz97tj
03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm sure they work well. Just imagine how many people on the trail will be asking why one side is pointing one way and the other side is pointing the other.

Whether they work equally well either way or not, I would still like a right and left version. Then you can rotate them side to side and have them facing either way but at least all 4 will still be facing the same direction. I just don't like how they are opposite each other.

seer
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I bet thjey work really well. The biggest problem with A/t's is they gum up in mud. That picture shows the A/T strip gummed up but the voids are still self cleaning.

The biggest problem with M/T's is they don't have good traction on flat and slick like icy/wet roads. That strip down the middle will certainly help there.

I have also heard the sidewalls are nice as far as hardness.

Still just not for me, at least not yet. They will probably grow on me after a while

My KM2's sucked on the ice until I siped'em. I'm thinking I'll sipe these too before I put them on. If you're wondering why decided to go with these, I've sliced the sidewalls of the KM2's twice now. I'm hoping going with Kevlar will help me out with that. Plus it was time for some 35's anyway.

PhilD
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I was actually hoping for one with both fronts in view.Drink enough so you have double vision then quickly turn your head upside down and squint and you'll get a good idea :D

seer
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Drink enough so you have double vision then quickly turn your head upside down and squint and you'll get a good idea :D

Whoa! And I thought the cops asking me to say the alphabet backwards was tough. :beer:

PhilD
03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm sure they work well. Just imagine how many people on the trail will be asking why one side is pointing one way and the other side is pointing the other.I'm sure you'll get people saying "You've got your tires on backwards" and other other such things :shaking:

seer
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm sure you'll get people saying "You've got your tires on backwards" and other other such things :shaking:

I'll just blame it on you makin' me drink too much.:laughing:

PhilD
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I'll just blame it on you makin' me drink too much.:laughing::D :D :D

Razorback1
03-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I hope they perform better than they look. Those things are hideous. They look like knock off Kumho MT's:shaking:

airric00
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
why couldn't u just flip the tire around? I'm guessing if its that important pay the bucks to have them remounted then rotated?? Or mount them in opposite directions and then rotate side to side? ?:hmph:

voodoojk
03-03-2009, 12:00 AM
http://www.hof4x4.com/100_0053a.JPG

a-squared
03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.hof4x4.com/100_0053a.JPG

hahhah,.....welcome to the dark side!

RoCk-NeSs MoNsTeR
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
MTR = Mall Trail Rated :thefinger:

a plumber
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I have the KM2's on my 2500 GMC 4x4 and i got the sipe'd and they have worked great this year. Although most of you don't know but Colorado is closer to Florida's climate this year. If I did pick up these i would sipe them, i am a strong believer in that now that i have it.

voodoojk
03-03-2009, 11:53 AM
hahhah,.....welcome to the dark side!

Hey! look at my join date buddy...a full year before you! But i think i have like 5 posts here.

a-squared
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey! look at my join date buddy...a full year before you! But i think i have like 5 posts here.

Lol....Whio's jeep is that pic from?

SDMF
03-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I think it's a great looking tire, really curious to see how the side walls perform.

voodoojk
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Found it on another site

Hilldweller
03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope they perform better than they look. Those things are hideous. They look like knock off Kumho MT's:shaking:I think they're funny looking but not hideous...
It looks like they're really trying to hammer home the notion that it's a mud/AT hybrid and the visual uniqueness exaggerates that. And they're arguing that it's the most puncture-resistant yet?
Let me see them prove it. Maybe fire some bird shot at the sidewall with a 12 gauge at 20 feet or something...

I'd like to try them.

RotorHead
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I think some of you guys are missing the big picture here and getting hung up on what they look like. Like anything new, they will grow on you as you see them more.

The big picture is that Goodyear is thinking way outside the box here and straying away from the traditional. Our sport is constantly evolving and it's nice to see manufacturers stepping up. Most of us drive are rigs to the trail so it is important to have a tire that works great on and off road.

Whether is proves to be a success or not, I applaud Goodyear for their innovation.

oz97tj
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm more of a function guy before form. However, having the tires essentially point in different directions bothers me.

If they work so well either direction, what would be so hard making an opposite tire so you can have all 4 point the same way?

Prope
03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm more of a function guy before form. However, having the tires essentially point in different directions bothers me.

If they work so well either direction, what would be so hard making an opposite tire so you can have all 4 point the same way?

I think it would be quite a bit harder, since they have the AT stripe you'd need to double the molds to make them go the same way and plus, this would much harder for people to rotate, that's always been a problem with claws, never could get even wear out of them.

You could easily flip the tire so that the visual V goes the same way, the narrow band would then be toward the outside of the tire. In fact, I've heard that if you cut out one of the narrow blocks all the way around, they'd put it up against a bogger in mud performance!

While there is a visual V, it is not really that much different than most tires. Look at the Cooper STT or Toyo MT, they also have a very noticable V.

Prope
03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I think some of you guys are missing the big picture here and getting hung up on what they look like. Like anything new, they will grow on you as you see them more.

The big picture is that Goodyear is thinking way outside the box here and straying away from the traditional. Our sport is constantly evolving and it's nice to see manufacturers stepping up. Most of us drive are rigs to the trail so it is important to have a tire that works great on and off road.

Whether is proves to be a success or not, I applaud Goodyear for their innovation.

I agree completely! Although, the guys I wheel with(who have wheeled the tires) say they ARE going to be a success!

RoCk-NeSs MoNsTeR
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
If they would send me a set, I'd be glad to field test them in the sharp rocks up here. I see people frag the current version of the MTR all the time up here. I cut a sidewall first time out with mine. Hell, the rocks here are hard on TSLs!:thefinger:

PhilD
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM
...the 37x12.50x17's come out, which I was told will be in the next week or so.Just found out that 37's went into production on March 2 and will be available in 4-6 weeks.

Gunny
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Another reason for me to get that lift!

seer
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Another reason for me to get that lift!

Like you needed one. :shaking:

:beer:

a-squared
03-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Just found out that 37's went into production on March 2 and will be available in 4-6 weeks.

Whats their overall Diameter?

PhilD
03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Whats their overall Diameter?36.8" seems to ring a bell, but can't say for sure. A lot will depend on rim width, psi, load on them, etc, but I doubt it will be 37" as most 37's measure 35-36" when mounted and on the vehicle.

Prope
03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
36.8" seems to ring a bell, but can't say for sure. A lot will depend on rim width, psi, load on them, etc, but I doubt it will be 37" as most 37's measure 35-36" when mounted and on the vehicle.

Just looked it up & you are correct Phil!

PhilD
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
you are correct Phil!Even a broken clock is right twice a day :D

yoda13
03-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day :D

LOL, I am going to have to remember that...:grinpimp:

RODICON
03-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Nice looking tire.

SASQUATCH
03-07-2009, 01:01 PM
they're ok, like the directional tread design but the sidewalls are lacking bigtime. Pictures do little justice sometimes though.