Skid Row Oil & Tran Skid Plate Fit Issues [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Skid Row Oil & Tran Skid Plate Fit Issues

JP-Ayers
11-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I installed the skid row oil & trans skid plate today of my 08 Rubicon.

Has anyone had fit issues / vibration issues (during acceleration 0 - 45mph) after installing this skid plate?

Also, the exhaust is contacting the the plate for about 3" on the drivers side.

Tried to call Skid Row, but to late. But, they were closed. Guess will have to wait until Monday.

Anyone had this issue?

Marauder
11-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I do not have any with mine great product and has saved me from alot of damage.

you can play around with the fit alittle

2K1TJ
11-17-2007, 10:46 AM
you can play around with the fit alittle

x2, and/or buy a 4-1/2" angle grinder (unless you already have one)and cut/grind away the offending metal (on the skid, not the exhaust :D) and touch up the paint if you want.

For that money though, the fit should be good though.

Marauder
11-17-2007, 01:28 PM
mine rattled till i got under it and checked out what made the noise and moved it some. Well that and tightened up that bastard hard to get to bolt in the back

JP-Ayers
11-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Just got back from a trail ride & I am getting alot of vibration.

I assume its from the exhaust interfering & is realy bad during acceleration.

Does this makes sense? When the engine is under torque the exhaust pipe would twist transfer the vibration into the pate. Right?

Marauder
11-18-2007, 07:57 AM
it could be doing that. put something between the plate nad exhaust and take it for a ride and see.

nam6869usmc
11-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Just got back from a trail ride & I am getting alot of vibration.

I assume its from the exhaust interfering & is realy bad during acceleration.

Does this makes sense? When the engine is under torque the exhaust pipe would twist transfer the vibration into the pate. Right?

Correct on the torque twisting the engine down on passenger side, then contact happens(exhaust pipe vibration). I made 3 metal shims 1/4" thick then unbolted back of skid, installed them>(between skid & cross member). Fixed the problem(no contact with exhaust pipe. Have someone hold the brake & push gas pedal a little & you lay under the passenger side & watch it come down & touch. Need just a little bit more room. The shims will do it.

BigJk
11-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Have someone hold the brake & push gas pedal a little & you lay under the passenger side & watch it come down & touch. Need just a little bit more room. The shims will do it.

eek..... A Darwin award winner in the making.:thefinger:

nam6869usmc
11-18-2007, 11:35 AM
eek..... A Darwin award winner in the making.:thefinger:

(Have someone hold the brake & push gas pedal a little & you lay under the passenger side & watch it come down & touch. Need just a little bit more room. The shims will do it.)))

I just meant "YOU" lay completely under it, all the rest of the people on here no just to lay down beside & low enough to visially see it touch exhaust pipe. Youngster, let us all no how you do completely under .:thefinger::thefinger:

JP-Ayers
11-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Jim,

Appreciate the info! Just got back in from the garage & was starting to think about a shim idea also.

You just convinced me to go that way. Gonna run this by Skid Row tomorrow to see if they have heard of this.

Also, does your plate have a double layer of steel in the pipe area? I noticed that the there is a cut out for the exhaust, however, it isn't long enough. Needs to be about 3" longer.

nam6869usmc
11-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Thanks Jim,

Appreciate the info! Just got back in from the garage & was starting to think about a shim idea also.

You just convinced me to go that way. Gonna run this by Skid Row tomorrow to see if they have heard of this.

Also, does your plate have a double layer of steel in the pipe area? I noticed that the there is a cut out for the exhaust, however, it isn't long enough. Needs to be about 3" longer.

I'll also contact "Eric" & run this by him, I'll probably go up there & let him a look it over. So far the shims are working great, just enough clearance to stop the contact.

JP-Ayers
11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Jim,

Took my rig into my local shop - Unlimited Off-Road in Fenton, MI. They contacted Skid Row - not sure who they talked to, but they didn't get much help from Skid Row.

They were told to stick some washers under the left side. We did this 3/8" worth of shims & then the exhaust hit on the right side. So they bent my exhaust hanger up to add clearance. Guess I'm worried about the structure of the plate with the shims.

I'm getting frustrated by this & ready to pull it off.

I'm gonna call them myself tomorrow. You mentioned Eric is he from Skid row?

I have a couple of pics, but can't seem to get them to load into my post. Suggestions??

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Jason
OlllllllO

nam6869usmc
11-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Jim,

Took my rig into my local shop - Unlimited Off-Road in Fenton, MI. They contacted Skid Row - not sure who they talked to, but they didn't get much help from Skid Row.

They were told to stick some washers under the left side. We did this 3/8" worth of shims & then the exhaust hit on the right side. So they bent my exhaust hanger up to add clearance. Guess I'm worried about the structure of the plate with the shims.

I'm getting frustrated by this & ready to pull it off.

I'm gonna call them myself tomorrow. You mentioned Eric is he from Skid row?

I have a couple of pics, but can't seem to get them to load into my post. Suggestions??

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Jason
OlllllllO
Hey Jason, download (http://smg.photobucket.com) to your PC, this is what I use for all my Pic's I post here. After you get an account you can browse & then select what Pic's you want to download into Photobucket.
In Photobucket Click/Copy the (IMG Code) below picture, then over here, click on the little yellow square icon above that say's(insert image).....load your image into this box.

Eric is the President of Skidrow Offroad, I'll try my best to get in touch with him today & give him info about your problem & some feedback........

JP-Ayers
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Here are the pics of my 1/2" shim & it still rattling. All of this has given me less than 1/8" of clearance.

I have talked to Rick at Skid Row a couple of times today & I think thay are going to help me out. Supposed to talk again on Monday. Just curious the Skid Row site has Rick listed as the President????

Even with all of the washers shuved in there the issue hasn't gone away.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/jp-ayers/DCP_9441.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/jp-ayers/DCP_9427.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/jp-ayers/DCP_9424.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/jp-ayers/DCP_9420.jpg

JP-Ayers
11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey Jim,

Just curious if you were the one going to Skid Row on Sat. Talked to Eric today..

JeepDog
12-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Yup I have the same problem with mine. I spaced mine down and then crushed it up against the exhaust again! ARGH...the vibration is explained above and its from the exhaust vibrating on the skid....

The skid is strong just not compensate for build tolerances.

I think RockHard4x4 has skids coming out too....those look nice as well....

HuskerRubi
12-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I am also having this exact same problem. I have tried using washers as shims and to no avail. Really getting bothersome....

Especially, when you are taking coworkers to lunch in your new JK and that is all they hear:pissed:

JP-Ayers
12-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I have been talking to Skid Row a bunch about this.

If you contact them & let them know you are having the same issue, they will send you a tool to adjust the hang height of your exhaust. Haven't done the adjustment yet! Will let you know when I do it.

I have a PDF of the instructions, but can't post it (too big)! You can PM me & I'll send it to you.

Glad to hear there are others out there!

This is a known issue but, they have only heard from a few of us.

Please contact them, they need to hear from us ALL!

JeepDog
12-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I have been talking to Skid Row a bunch about this.

If you contact them & let them know you are having the same issue, they will send you a tool to adjust the hang height of your exhaust. Haven't done the adjustment yet! Will let you know when I do it.

I have a PDF of the instructions, but can't post it (too big)! You can PM me & I'll send it to you.

Glad to hear there are others out there!

This is a known issue but, they have only heard from a few of us.

Please contact them, they need to hear from us ALL!

Post up there email address so we have it as quick get too...And I will contact them as well.

HuskerRubi
12-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Just talked to Eric at Skid Row and he emailed me the instructions to fix right away. Awesome customer service.

Read instructins and it looks like nothing major it fix...:bounce:

nam6869usmc
12-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Post up there email address so we have it as quick get too...And I will contact them as well.

Here ya go,...click on this & their phone number or email address is at upper right hand corner..yes, great customer service
Speak to Eric, Rick, or Pam
http://www.skidplates.com/

Marauder
12-11-2007, 06:25 PM
clicky no worky ;)

JP-Ayers
12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Agreed!

Skid Row has been very supportive & helpful!

Great Customer Service!