JK Steering gear questions [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JK Steering gear questions

Jeff_98xj_WI
11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I am considering using a JK steering gear on my MJ to allow a larger radiator to use the space where the original XJ/MJ/TJ steering box fit but don't know much about the JK box. I know it hasn't been out there long, but is there any history of problems with it? Is it comparable in strength to the XJ/MJ/TJ box? I would like to do a home made ram assist on this box and see that only ONE manufacturer currently modifies the JK box (PSC). Is it possible to do a home made porting/tapping job on this box? Are other companies like AGR/West Texas Offroad/Howe etc. working on getting the JK box setup for ram assist?

How about a WJ steering box? It looks quite similar to the JK box except the pitman arm extends back from the gear instead of forward from the box like the JK unit. Does anyone know if that box can be setup for ram assist? Thanks for any information. Jeff

Jeff_98xj_WI
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
So nobody knows anything about tapping a JK steering box for hydro assist? Jeff

PhilD
11-23-2007, 07:58 PM
So nobody knows anything about tapping a JK steering box for hydro assist? JeffHaven't heard of anyone that's done it yet, so I'm guessing that is why there is not much response...

GOAT1
11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
The JK steering box has a long sector shaft and I have heard about the shafts twisting and even breaking. I have had no problems with our two JK's.

Jeff_98xj_WI
11-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I just got off the phone with West Texas Offroad. He has setup a couple WJ boxes in the past and I think he said he did a JK box as well. He seemed very knowledgeable about both boxes. He said a full kit including ram, hoses, modified box, etc runs $499. I think they will simply modify the box only as well, but he seemed much more willing to supply the whole setup. He suggested I first get the engine/axle/steering box/steering links etc. installed and then take some pictures of clearances as there are a couple different locations where the hoses can come off the steering box. He didn't really say anything about strength of the box, just that it can be setup for hydro assist. BTW, if anyone has a JK they want setup for Hydro assist, he mentioned he might give a really good deal to be the first kit for them. :) Jeff

PhilD
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
BTW, if anyone has a JK they want setup for Hydro assist, he mentioned he might give a really good deal to be the first kit for them. :) JeffI'd be interested, but they are quite a drive for me if they want to do to their shop.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff_98xj_WI
12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Here's the response I got from AGR:

Have you modified a new JK steering box for Hydro Assist steering? How about a WJ steering box? They are similar, but the Pitman arm on the JK boxes points forward and the arm on the WJ points rearward, so I think the direction of travel is reversed between the boxes. In any case, I am building a custom Jeep Comanche and want to replace the stock steering box with one that mounts to the inside of the frame rail further back to allow room for a larger radiator in the front of the rig. I believe I can make either the JK or WJ box work, but I also want to set the rig up to use hydro assist. Can you help and what will it cost? Thanks, Jeff

From: matt@agrperformance.com [mailto:matt@agrperformance.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:36 PM
To: Sales
Subject: RE: Jeep JK or WJ steering box modifications for hydro assist

No problem the WJ would be much cheaper unless you have a JK box. We can make them rotate either way.

Jeff