Which Trans [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Which Trans

conhel
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I just ordered an Unlimited Rubicon, my first jeep, and I keep changing my mind abuot the trans, manual or auto. I've changed the order one time already. Any advice would be helpfull. Right now it's a stick.
Thanks,
conhel

Gib
11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
This is something nobody else can answer for you. There are many different OPINIONS on the matter, but it really boils down to which you prefer.

WTF_LOL
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Gib has the only answer.

Over the years I have seen this question asked a million times for offroad whether it was a wranngler, XJ or whatever. I have seen some of the threads get pretty long debating different things. Including how you will be using it.

I went through the same debate when getting my JK. There are so many pros and cons to both it did not help me asking so I just went a drove a few.

here is a couple

Auto:
More expensive
Can get too hot offroad
Can get damaged by water offroad
Need to change fluid
Not as much "driver" control
Waayy better if you need to drive in traffic jams (like me in Seattle)
Some people allows more control in certain offroad situations, like if you are stoppped facing uphil on an incline and if you jolt or slip back you would roll type of thing:jeep1:

Manual:
Cheaper
No fluid
Need to replace clutch (and some drivers EAT these offroad)
Can take more of a beating
Able to use the egine to brake going downhill
Do not need to worry about temp
Most people prefer for towing
More user imput when driving
Some people say it is not a "real" jeep without a manual :rolleyes:

Blah blah blah, I gt bored even writing this list, lol, it goes on forever

The moral is this. I bought an auto. The reason was based on driving a couple. I felt the auto was more sluggish and I have always had manuals. However, I am coming from a high performance car and this thig just wfelt sloppy with a manual. It takes forever for RPMs to drop and the clutch was just so soft and no defined engagment point. I know this can all be changed but I like my point-and-gas wheeling now!:grinpimp:

I am happy with my choice

a plumber
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
i went with the auto also because of city driving, i have done a lot of wheeling this year with it and love it, just my opinion

Lensman
11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Only you can make this decision. I drive in traffic and have no issues wheeling with auto. Good luck with your desicion

RedRockJK
11-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Get what YOU are happy with, that's the only answer. That being said, I prefer an auto. I do a lot of wheeling, and with the auto I have an easier time through the really technical trails and hill climbs than I would have with a stick. It boils down to what you like.

FWIW, if I were you I would make your order reflect exactly how you 1st ordered it. If you 1st ordered it with an auto, get the auto. If you 1st ordered it with a stick, get the stick. Usually your 1st instinct is the best on something like that. I changed colors on mine twice when I ordered it, and am very glad I changed back to my initial order what it was all said and done.

igofshn
11-16-2007, 06:14 AM
I bought the auto because it is better onthe rocks and where I wheel, there isn't any mud ( I hate mud). It is also easier on your equippment because you are not banging it around as much. Crawling is easier.

michaelkern
11-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Just my .02 worth. I drove a manual transmission for years and decided when I bought a new vehicle it would be an automatic. A sales guy told me if it's a jeep it has to be a manual or it's not a real jeep.I told him I would just go buy a real jeep from someone who believes my wishes mean something.