Front Diff Vent Blowing Oil? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Front Diff Vent Blowing Oil?

nam6869usmc
11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Ok all you wizards, always dripping Diff Grease everywhere I park at the front Diff Vent Tube. Had an Aussie Locker installed by a local shop awhile back, did he over fill the Rockcrusher Diff Covers or do have a problem. Also, anybody have these covers & no the size Hex for the drain plug.
Stock refill below..
(Model 30) 1.0 L (2.1 Pints)
(Model 44) 1.3 L (2.7 Pints)

PhilD
11-14-2007, 06:17 PM
It is easy to over fill the front with a RC cover. I run 5 pints in my front 44 and it does not overflow, if your pinion is angled up due a lift you should run more than factory. If you fill it up it will definitely come out the vent (ask me how I know ;)). I'm guessing they just filled it to the fill plug.

The fill plug takes a 9/16" hex. The drain plug is on the diff case and is just a 3/8" drive.

RedRockJK
11-14-2007, 07:04 PM
x2. You are not supposed to fill the RockCrusher (SOLID) diff covers up to the fill hole. I bet that's what they did.

nam6869usmc
11-15-2007, 03:29 AM
PhilD & RedrockJK,....thx for all needed info ..I'll be on this today. No doubt he did the common fill ti'll it runs out method. I do have a 2 1/2" lift in the front, front D30 2.1 pints factory specs. I'll drain it all out & run 2.5 pints & pick me up a 9/16 Hex.

PhilD
11-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Yopu most probably know this already, but always remove the fill plug first. Nothing like draining a diff or t-case to find the fill plug won't come out :shaking:

robertwbrown
11-23-2007, 03:41 PM
thats just the jk marking its terrory.:shaking::shaking::shaking:

nam6869usmc
11-23-2007, 04:30 PM
thats just the jk marking its terrory.:shaking::shaking::shaking:
Finally got a correct answer,,,,,thx (( I thought something looked funny in of my pictures.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/nam676869/jeepmarking.jpg

PhilD
11-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Finally got a correct answer,,,,,thx (( I thought something looked funny in of my pictures. :D :D :D

That's funny colored diff fluid ;)

venom
04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Well I screwed up.
I know, not earthshaking news.
I put my Riddler cover on the front D44 and did what I always did, filled it to the the fill hole (2 Quarts) and now 2 days later the whole underside of the driver's side is covered with oil and it leaves a hell of a puddle.
Looks like I shoulda read first!:bawling:
So I put 4 pints where 2.7 pints shoulda been.
Guess that explains the mess.
Here's the lazy question though...
Should I drain and refill or just let it piss out the extra till it finds a happy maximum?

PhilD
04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Should I drain and refill or just let it piss out the extra till it finds a happy maximum?When I need to remove a little bit of luid I use a empty diff fluid bottle and a piece of tube, squeeze the bottle, place tube in diff and let go of bottle.

I run just under 5 pints in the front now, as i found 5 pints caused a little bit of venting when off camber etc. I'm surprised you had it venting out with 4 pints in there.

FWIW I run about 7.5 pints in the rear.

If you are lifted ad pinions rotated up, you need to run more than factory to ensure the pinion and bearings get lubed well.

venom
04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I put in 2 quarts and it's blowing everywhere
I mean it's bad.
Parked last night and have a dinner plate sized puddle on the concrete.
It's dripping off the lower arm and the wheelwell is coated.
I assumed it's blowing out the tube, what else could be going on?
Lifted with 3" poly springs front and rear

PhilD
04-18-2008, 09:24 AM
It's pretty easy to tell if it's coming out the vent, as it will be all over the shock tower and the drivers side wheel well.

venom
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
yup, that's where it be.
I guess I'll drain and refill and try 3 pints and see how that does.
Odd that 5 works for you and 4 is making a hell of a mess for me.
Thanks yet again for the info Phil