Clutch Bypass [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Clutch Bypass

Jeepy5Point2
02-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi, I did a search and came up with nothing, anyway I am trying to install a remote start for a friend in there 08 JK, and there is no clutch switch like there is in the 06 and older....

where might i be able to find this....

and sorry for newb post, but i am a ZJ guy.... but thanks for your help

Bret

Jeepy5Point2

Broncojohn
02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't know where the computer get's it's input; the manual says it overrides the clutch when in 4-lo, so there has to be a way.

My question is how do you keep the truck from burning up the starter or rolling off when it's left in gear?

levellinebrad
02-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Remote start on a manual tranny sounds a little dangerous to me. What Broncojohn says about the truck taking off while trying to start it is a very good question. Or if you leave it out of gear every time you park it, then what keeps it from rolling somewhere considering the e-brake is not all that great and I would not trust it to hold my jeep even on a slight grade. If you can figure those problems out let us know as I would like to install one on my wifes jeep.

Jeepy5Point2
02-13-2009, 05:27 AM
there are a lot of ways you can pull this off.

the first and best way is buy a remote start that is made for a manual. these hit the market in retail stores about a year ago. there is a process you need to do that have about 5 steps, basically you do a valet take over (remote start it while the car is running) then you get out lock the doors and then turn the car off by the remote.

if the door is opened between you getting out and the next morning you remote start it, then the remote start will not work.

the second way, a little more old school, is you take 2 springs and some rubber spacers.... put the springs across the tracks where the shifter would be if it is in gear in front across the 1,3,5 and back across the 2,4,r... you run a wire to the hood switch (which keeps it from starting with the hood open) and if the shifter is touching the springs it will ground out the wire the same way the hood will if it is open.

the third way is a little more daring, but dont let people touch your car and make sure when you start it you can see it. i have been installing remote starts for 5 years and have done a number of all three of those in a number of cars, of course the first one is the only one i would do for a customer, the others were just for friends.

a lil update, i found a tech site that says there is a yellow/orange wire on the engine side of the firewall, i assume it is on the passenger side since there is nothing of the wire sorts on the divers side IIRC... so if it works ill let you know.

thanks
Bret

jdrogers
02-13-2009, 06:38 AM
...a lil update, i found a tech site that says there is a yellow/orange wire on the engine side of the firewall, i assume it is on the passenger side since there is nothing of the wire sorts on the divers side IIRC...

Umm... there lots of wires on the drivers side in the JK as the ECM is on the dirvers side.

Jeepy5Point2
02-13-2009, 07:02 PM
yea on the wheel well, i remember looking through those closest was yellow/pink... i was more refering to on the fire wall, but again i dont have it infront of me and it is the only one i have ever seen let alone worked on.

ill post up when i find it for anyone looking for it in the future...