Jeep starts, but won't shift? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Jeep starts, but won't shift?

Ruskin
02-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Anybody have any ideas? I can turn the jeep on and the motor starts as usual. Then when I go to shift the auto into drive, the shifter won't move. The shifter is locked solid into place, similar to trying to go from park to drive without pushing the brake.

Also, for the last month the O/D button has been working intermittenly. Often when pushed nothing happens. Then somedays it will work. Now that I can't get the jeep in drive it works fine.

Any ideas? It's an 07 rubi, auto, 3" lift, no engine mods.

thanks.

kerryp
02-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Sounds like your linkage may be in a bind or something. You might have to take console apart or crawl underneath and see if you can see where the bind is and free it up. Does the button on the shifter push in freely or is it binding too?

bodyguy
02-08-2009, 09:39 AM
My shift lock has not worked since about 5,000 miles or so, I don't have to push on my brake to shift so maybe yours has failed the opposite way. Next to the overdrive button you will see a small rectangular cover, remove it and insert a small screw driver and gently push down to disengage the shift lock.

Ruskin
02-08-2009, 05:59 PM
My shift lock has not worked since about 5,000 miles or so, I don't have to push on my brake to shift so maybe yours has failed the opposite way. Next to the overdrive button you will see a small rectangular cover, remove it and insert a small screw driver and gently push down to disengage the shift lock.

Great info. At least I can get to the dealer tomorrow. The weird thing is that this also happened on Wednesday night. Then thurs it started working until today. Also the button release is easy to push in, but it just doesn't release it.

Thanks again for the posts.

Ruskin
02-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks bodyguy. Got it to the dealer. Got a brand new shifter, ticket said after they opened it up a component was broken. Shifter comes with a new O/D switch so I'm all good.

John L
02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Glad you got it fixed.
I hate shifter interlocks. Didn't those come about because people were too stupid to do the right thing? Like don't leave the kids in the car while it's running?

bodyguy
02-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Glad I could point you in the right direction