afe dry-flo filter [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: afe dry-flo filter

BLACK JK
02-08-2009, 03:54 AM
if you hate oiling, afe has a dry flo drop in air filter. mine should be here this week.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17102_1001.htm

Alter Ego
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
That filter is an interesting concept but I wouldn't buy one. I don't know anything about the quality, so I can't comment on that. The problem I see is that the filter element hangs too low in the airbox reducing the volume of water the airbox will hold before it sucks water through the filter. If you have a sealed snorkel, this shouldn't be a problem, but I don't - yet. Yes, I HAVE scraped dried liquid mud off the bottom of my oem filter. Too close for comfort.

MarcM
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I am considering getting the AFE drop in for two reasons: 1) I like that it is dry and it appears to not be as "open" as the K&N drop in and 2) I dont have to many water obstacles here in So Cal that I would need to worry about sucking water into my engine.

At least it is only 50 bucks, so if I dont like it, it is not too big a deal.

afoulk
02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
are there any kinds of specs on the efficiency or the dust capacity? I would have got a K&N a long time ago, but I don't like how much dirt they let through, and I think I'd be worried about it with this filter too.

MarcM
02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
I have not seen any anywhere. In fact, I could not even find it on AFE's web site. I ordered it anyway. I will post the info that comes with it when I get it.

-T-
02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
I purchased one of these and maybe I read it wrong but you still have to oil the one I received. :shaking:

Wheelerbob
02-24-2009, 07:43 PM
I purchased one of these and maybe I read it wrong but you still have to oil the one I received. :shaking:

Me too, I ordered the pro 7 version on Quadratec's website because the site lists it as dry media, well guess what I recieve it and it looks oiled, I contact AFE and they confirm that the Pro 7 is oiled and Q-tec's website has it listed wrong.
:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

MarcM
02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Product Details:
High filtration efficiency
High performance
High flow
Longer service life
Easy-to-service dry media
Tall round open pleats
Multi-layer progressive media
Oil free dry media
Limited lifetime warranty

I dont know if this is the same one you ordered, but if it is oiled, it is going back.

-T-
02-24-2009, 07:58 PM
That's the one I received and ordered, you need to oil it. I was somewhat perturbed as I wanted one I didnt have to do that too. Oh well it's better then the stock maxi-pad that the JK comes with.

MarcM
02-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Here is the oily drop in:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17102_1002.htm

Here be the dry:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17102_1001.htm

BLACK JK
02-24-2009, 11:51 PM
received mine this week. took awhile. ships from CA. appears to be a quality piece. cleaning will be a breeze. you can vaccum it. or use the cleaning kit. i did not get a chance yet to install it. PA weather and being lazy.
here is how to clean http://www.afefilters.com/51cleaning.pdf

BLACK JK
02-25-2009, 09:39 AM
ok. installed it this morning. was really impressed with the seal on it. that go's around the air box. hardest part was the front air box clip facing the grille. tight spot.
also switched to synthetic oil this morning.

afoulk
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
so it seems to seal around the edge of the box pretty good? That was one of my concerns with an aftermarket filter. Do you feel any gain in performance? Does it make any more noise than stock?

BLACK JK
02-25-2009, 11:51 PM
so it seems to seal around the edge of the box pretty good? That was one of my concerns with an aftermarket filter. Do you feel any gain in performance? Does it make any more noise than stock?

a REALLY GOOD SEAL! no noise. too early to tell. just drove it to work today.

MarcM
03-05-2009, 04:06 AM
Mine showed up today. Looks like a quality product. The bottom of the filter sits about an inch from the bottom of the air box. I did not see any dried mud in my air box, but there was quite a bit of Mojave dust. I have not driven with it in yet.

spillidge
06-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Anyone have an update on this filter?

I am interested in buying one but what do you guys think of it?