Best places to wheel east of the Mississippi? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Best places to wheel east of the Mississippi?

Gotlime?
10-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I've been wheeling for a few years around the SE US. I'd like to plan a longer trip with some friends for next spring.

Where would you suggest going that is within 8 hours of Charlotte, NC?

Links, pics, etc would be great!

Hypertech
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Hawk Pride ohv in Alabama

Greenfeet
10-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Gulches in Laurens SC.
Skip has an awesome park

Gotlime?
10-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Hawk Pride ohv in Alabama

Looks but, but a quick peek at their site indicates they are only open 2 weekends a month. I was planning on a 5 - 7 day trip.

Maybe it would be good for a Friday travel, Sat and Sun wheel and Monday travel home thing.

redneckjk
10-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Windrock/Coal Creek Oliver Springs, TN
72,000 acres and something for every rig mild to wild.

Bigjerm
10-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Harlan (Black Mountain), KY. Best I have seen since Tellico closed. Lots, lots, of rocks, plenty of trails for all styles of rigs. They just put up a zip line so I hope to make it back next year.

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/

redneckjk
10-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Harlan is one of the places I have not been. I hear good things about the place. Planning to go in the spring.

Hitchhiker
10-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't bother driving to gulches, that's the worst park I've been to so far. The people who ran it are a bit jumpy and it's basically all setup for buggies or other traillered rigs. We did the entire place 3 or 4 times in a day and left a day early because there was nothing to justify spending a second day there.

Would be fun if you trailer your rig and you haven't found something that will break it though.

Been a year or two since I've gone but no one in my group wants to go again even though it's one of the closest parks to where we live.

We visited Rausch Creek, PA this year, was a blast. Very fun place, will be a yearly revisit for us even though it's about 9 hours from where we live.

O2BDrty
10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Rousch Creek in Pennsylvania

beerdraft
11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't bother driving to gulches, that's the worst park I've been to so far. The people who ran it are a bit jumpy and it's basically all setup for buggies or other traillered rigs. We did the entire place 3 or 4 times in a day and left a day early because there was nothing to justify spending a second day there.

Would be fun if you trailer your rig and you haven't found something that will break it though.

Been a year or two since I've gone but no one in my group wants to go again even though it's one of the closest parks to where we live.

We visited Rausch Creek, PA this year, was a blast. Very fun place, will be a yearly revisit for us even though it's about 9 hours from where we live.

not really sure I understand this. I have a great time everytime I go to the gulches. Went as a stock rubicon several times, went as a 4" long arm and some other mods several times, and plan to go back soon with the newest custom mods, to be ready soon... would I recommend it for someone who is wanting a 5 day trip, NO... I would recommend Harlan, Ky. though as it is incredible. Where ever you go, enjoy the trip.

JK Neal

skip of gulches
11-15-2011, 05:09 PM

I am really sorry you did not have a good time at our park. We are a small park with just 80 acres. But we have 43 trails with 22 of them rated easy intermediate and single black difficult. I would like to invite you and your group back as my guest. (free) All I ask is that you call in advance to let me know when you are coming. I will have someone watch the desk and I will personally guide you through the park. There are as many different parks as there are types of 4x4's and not all are for everyone. If you are looking for a trail ride park which covers several miles like a Harlan or the trails out west then we are not your park. We have short technical trails which we try to gear to every type of rig from stock to radical buggy. As to staff being a little jumpy I am not quite sure what that means but I sure want to make it up to you and your group.
Sincerely
Skip
864 449 5698

jeepaddons-chris
11-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Harlan, KY by far. Coal Creek in TN is pretty nice too. If you're doing a 5-7 day trip, I would suggest hitting both those parks since they're within a two hour drive of one another. While in TN you can also set aside a day to visit Royal Blue.

garner
11-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Harlan, KY by far. Coal Creek in TN is pretty nice too. If you're doing a 5-7 day trip, I would suggest hitting both those parks since they're within a two hour drive of one another. While in TN you can also set aside a day to visit Royal Blue.

If you are looking for a 5-7 day trip this is your best options without having to spend an entire day on the road.

jeepaddons-chris
11-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Could also set up some time around Jellico if there's anyone in the area that knows landowners. Everytime I go down that way, I drool over the sandstone terrain, but have never gotten to ride there though I've heard of people riding that area. Don't know anyone or where to go. :(

leman
11-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I am really sorry you did not have a good time at our park. We are a small park with just 80 acres. But we have 43 trails with 22 of them rated easy intermediate and single black difficult. I would like to invite you and your group back as my guest. (free) All I ask is that you call in advance to let me know when you are coming. I will have someone watch the desk and I will personally guide you through the park. There are as many different parks as there are types of 4x4's and not all are for everyone. If you are looking for a trail ride park which covers several miles like a Harlan or the trails out west then we are not your park. We have short technical trails which we try to gear to every type of rig from stock to radical buggy. As to staff being a little jumpy I am not quite sure what that means but I sure want to make it up to you and your group.
Sincerely
Skip
864 449 5698

never been there but with service like this, even if the park isnt the best out there, it would be good to give this guy your business. the venders on JKO have great service in general, and skip is setting the bar high for other off road parks.

JB14
05-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Although I've never been myself, Hawk Pride Offrooad and Land-Between the Lakes in Kentucky are really popular places for people in my club to wheel.

Heard great things about both of them.

LILWB
05-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Sincerely
Skip
864 449 5698

Hey Skip! I hated your park too! Just kidding, I've never been but that is a very generous offer and an outstanding dedication to pleasing you customer!

quaylefarmer
05-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Daniel Boone / Slade KY - Great all around wheeling and capable of all day trail riding.

Get there before it is gone.

levellinebrad
06-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I love me some Gulches. Skip is a hell of a nice guy and the park is always fun to ride in. Back on subject though, I think in your case, you should either do Golden Mountain Tn. or Coal Creek. Both are awesome. The Golden Mountain Park has Large pavillions that you can rent very reasonably. We spent 4 days up there and it was great even though it rained the whole time. They also have a couple of ponds that have bass in them. The Pavillions were a great place to cook breakfast, supper, and just hang out. Hate I missed the trip to ure.

FireTrail741
06-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Agreed on Gulches an Skip.

SEVENSLAT4X4
06-02-2012, 02:17 PM
GULCHES is well worth the trip!