front skid plate [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: front skid plate

BLACK JK
02-05-2009, 08:19 AM
so whats everyone doing with the plastic air dam piece? think jeep would have given us a real skid plate! leaving it be? i like this answer.. but does not protect much.
http://www.skidplates.com/Front_07_JK.asp
just curious.

RoCk-NeSs MoNsTeR
02-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I threw mine in the trash and bought the Mopar one to go with my bumper.

BLACK JK
02-05-2009, 08:35 AM
yes. i see mopar has one for stock jk bumpers. protects the sway bar motor also.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_900.htm

VSDPV
02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I used the Expedition One Hi-clearance Rubi plate. Extremely strong.

http://www.expeditionone.biz/picts/jkRubiSkid1.jpg

Alter Ego
02-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Its not really a skid plate, its more of an air dam. Its designed to direct air under the vehicle in a more aerodynamic manner. I believe this also creates a lower pressure area behind and above it at highway speeds. This means a greater air pressure difference between the front and the back of the radiator resulting in more flow through the radiator. I have noticed since I tore it off my hood lifts at highway speeds more than it used to.

beagsjeep
02-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I have skid rows skid on my jeep. it will do the job..the price is good to..i had to custom fit it on my rugged ridge bumper..ck it out on my profile..;)

J. Kickerman
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
One of the many reasons I like the Shrockworks front bumper is it comes with a skid for this.

YmansJK
02-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I cut that bar off that hangs down. works for me. Oh yeah I put another in between the frame rails

Eugene
02-05-2009, 06:41 PM
One of the many reasons I like the Shrockworks front bumper is it comes with a skid for this.

X2:)

CubbieBlue
02-07-2009, 06:04 AM
I have skid rows skid on my jeep. it will do the job..the price is good to..i had to custom fit it on my rugged ridge bumper..ck it out on my profile..;)

Beags, How did you custom fit that skid? Im looking at the same skid plate and it looks like you have the same bumper (RR XHD w/ Stinger) as me...

MichaelW
02-07-2009, 06:21 AM
I don't run a skid plate. Even my steel ones have folded. Now I am waiting for my electronic swaybar disconnect mechanizim to grenade (the wiring is almost toast now) so I can eliminate it and go to manual swaybar disconnects since the automatic one still allows me to rip the swaybar links off the axle. ;) Then I will replace the missing skidplate with something a little more stout, after I remove other extraneous metal hangups down there.

ogre45
02-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I had the Skidrow skid on my stock bumper. It was fine and I had no issues with it. Then I got a River Raider Trail series bumper & it has all that built in. Very solid. You can buy the Skid Row skid in black now, that way it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Bigjerm
02-07-2009, 04:29 PM
I went with the Rugged Ridge skid. It protects my sway bar motor and was easy to install. Not sure the Skidrow wraps all the way under as needed. If you dont have the sway motor though there is no need for a front skid unless you just want it.

brunosjk
02-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Broke the rivits on mine Friday night when I was installing tow hooks, it's now in the trash and yesterday morning I ordered a Black Skid Row plate.

MarcM
02-08-2009, 10:00 AM
My LoD bumper has one built in. I was going to see about getting one fabed if i kept my stock bumper much longer. That was before I saw Rugged Ridge now has one that will work.