JKOwners Forum banner

Looking for a good shotgun.

2K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  JKWolf 
#1 ·
I am looking for a good all around 12 ga. pump shot gun. I will probably do a small amount of hunting but more than anything just shoot clay pigeons with. I know a semi-automatic is better for that task but I like the pump for my purposes. I am thinking a Benelli Nova. It's in my ball park for price and I have shot one numerous times and love the feel. Any other suggestions.

#2 ·
I got a Mossberg 500 Tac myself but I am not a hunter so the tactical suits me for home defense and it was about $350 from Big 5 on sale. That is a good price point for a Benelli, not bad for a great manufacturer. Anything from Beretta is good too.

-Dan

#3 ·
binelli doesnt make any guns that arent nice. mossberg 500 and remington 870 are the standard pump shotgun of military and police. ive used both and they are very similar and both work fine for years and years..

get an adjustable choke, screw in choke, or even a full choke if youre going to shoot pigeons. when its in your house at night for protection, take the choke out...

basically, a pump is a pump is a pump...

#5 ·
Don't get an adjustable, I don't even think they still make those.

Definately get one with interchangable chokes, preferably extended so you don't need a tool to change them out.

Most of the time Full choke is to much for sporting clay or sport shooting.

And don't shoot without a choke installed, it will damage the threads in the barrel. (not that it wouldn't be worth it if where actually a home invasion scenario.)

Reconsider a semi auto. I shot alot of sporting clays with the old 870 fixed choke (full) and let me tell you how much more enjoyable shooting is with my new Beretta 391.

#6 ·
Reconsider a semi auto. I shot alot of sporting clays with the old 870 fixed choke (full) and let me tell you how much more enjoyable shooting is with my new Beretta 391.
If you're wanting an all around gun, a pump is always a good choice. An over-under is fun too.

But just like the above statement, I used an 870 for quite a while, but recently picked up a Beretta A400 and really like it when shooting sport clays.

#8 ·
If shooting clay pigeons is a requirement then a tac shotgun like the 870 or mossburg 500 should not be the gun of choice. Generally speaking tac and hunting also don't go together.
Benelli makes great shotguns in general and I have had a Mossberg 500 and I currently own a 870.
What I would recommend is that you go to a gun store and get a feel for them. Take sight with a few and see what feels best.

#10 ·
Go "old school"!

Actually the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are both nice choises.

#15 ·
I'm amazed noone recommended the Mossberg Maverick 88. One could find it in pump or over-and-under configurations.
It's a reliable yet inexpensive shotgun one wouldn't mind keeping in the trunk, errr, in the Jeep.
Most parts are compatible with the 500 model.
I own 2 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.