warranty guidelines from my dealer.. [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: warranty guidelines from my dealer..

wanderer-rrorc
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
just got back from having a conversation with the service manager at my dealership...

TIRE SIZE...
as long as you dont have to lift the jeep and the tires fit...the axles are covered.

BODY MODS...
as long as your not cutting/welding to the body (bolt on kits) you can do whatever ya like..including removing the stock fenders and using a bolt on aftermarket kit..

OVERSIZED TIRES and engine/tranny warranty.
if you go over the original size and are still in compliance with the above tire size restrictions..you need to get the computer reprogramed to account for the larger tire for shift points on the automatic transmission..

AXLE'S/U-JOINTS
as long as its not apparent neglect..(tractor pulls)...they are covered..(so if ya break it goin up the trail...HAVE IT WASHED REALLY REALLY well before it hits the dealership..

BONUS INFO..
he and I talked about a buddy that has an 04 rubi..I told him about some of his dealings with warranty (runnin 36's and busting the ears off the front shafts and then puttin the stocker 32's back on it and taking it to the dealership...and being covered)..

he told me that CUSTOMER LOYALTY actually has a formula in the computer to base the ammount of lee-way the dealership has in warranty issues...
basically...if ya have all yer service/oilchanges done at the dealership...you go up in points..the more points...the more likely they are to do something as a warranty issue rather than just void-ing or charging you for the work that is kinda "GREY" wether its a warranty issue or not..

of course Im sure that alot of this info is "off the record" but he seemed cool and was willing to give me the information to keep me warrantied..:grinpimp:

jdemonto
11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
just got back from having a conversation with the service manager at my dealership...

TIRE SIZE...
as long as you dont have to lift the jeep and the tires fit...the axles are covered.

BODY MODS...
as long as your not cutting/welding to the body (bolt on kits) you can do whatever ya like..including removing the stock fenders and using a bolt on aftermarket kit..

OVERSIZED TIRES and engine/tranny warranty.
if you go over the original size and are still in compliance with the above tire size restrictions..you need to get the computer reprogramed to account for the larger tire for shift points on the automatic transmission..

AXLE'S/U-JOINTS
as long as its not apparent neglect..(tractor pulls)...they are covered..(so if ya break it goin up the trail...HAVE IT WASHED REALLY REALLY well before it hits the dealership..

BONUS INFO..
he and I talked about a buddy that has an 04 rubi..I told him about some of his dealings with warranty (runnin 36's and busting the ears off the front shafts and then puttin the stocker 32's back on it and taking it to the dealership...and being covered)..

he told me that CUSTOMER LOYALTY actually has a formula in the computer to base the ammount of lee-way the dealership has in warranty issues...
basically...if ya have all yer service/oilchanges done at the dealership...you go up in points..the more points...the more likely they are to do something as a warranty issue rather than just void-ing or charging you for the work that is kinda "GREY" wether its a warranty issue or not..

of course Im sure that alot of this info is "off the record" but he seemed cool and was willing to give me the information to keep me warrantied..:grinpimp:

Sounds like you have started a relationship with the service department, It will indeed get you leeway when needed

Jason

xdhatcherx
11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Hmmmm that's kinda interesting about the axles. I'm looking into getting a Rubicon and one of my major interests is the Dana 44 axles with lifetime warranty.

However, I want to lift and put 33 or 35" tires on it. If he's saying if you do that it voids the warranty, how do some of the dealerships I see get away with selling Wrangler X or Rubicon models that come with a lift kit and 33" tires installed by the dealership and NOT void the warranty?

MaRShiN
11-19-2007, 01:08 AM
want to lift and put 33 or 35" tires on it. If he's saying if you do that it voids the warranty, how do some of the dealerships I see get away with selling Wrangler X or Rubicon models that come with a lift kit and 33" tires installed by the dealership and NOT void the warranty?

I think (which usually means Im wrong :thefinger: ) that he means if tires COULD fit without a lift, for example, you could fit 33's and 35's without a lift. You wouldnt really want to, but they do fit, Ive seen a stock height 4 door with 35's stuff'd under it. So thinking again, maybe you can lift it, as long as the tires arent bigger than what would fit without the lift??? Either that or we're just screwed on the axles :beer:

wanderer-rrorc
11-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Hmmmm that's kinda interesting about the axles. I'm looking into getting a Rubicon and one of my major interests is the Dana 44 axles with lifetime warranty.

However, I want to lift and put 33 or 35" tires on it. If he's saying if you do that it voids the warranty, how do some of the dealerships I see get away with selling Wrangler X or Rubicon models that come with a lift kit and 33" tires installed by the dealership and NOT void the warranty?

I have a buddy that has a first gen ruby...he had EXACTLY that problem...service dept said that he put oversized tires on it..he had to go find the window sticker and PROVE those were the tires that came from the dealership...

xdhatcherx
11-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Oh man, I would be looking for compensation from the service dept. for that kind of trouble. Especially since they could've just walked their ass over to sales and looked up the vehicle configuration of when it was sold in their database.

Bigjerm
11-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I have a buddy that has a first gen ruby...he had EXACTLY that problem...service dept said that he put oversized tires on it..he had to go find the window sticker and PROVE those were the tires that came from the dealership...

i made mine put it on the contract that the Jeep had 2.5" BB and 35" tires before i signed.

I think its a little crappy that if i decide to change my own oil and diff fluids and rotate my tires and i never see the dealer service dept other than recalls and warranty claims that i will have less "points" and warranty work will be questioned more

wanderer-rrorc
11-19-2007, 11:16 AM
i made mine put it on the contract that the Jeep had 2.5" BB and 35" tires before i signed.

I think its a little crappy that if i decide to change my own oil and diff fluids and rotate my tires and i never see the dealer service dept other than recalls and warranty claims that i will have less "points" and warranty work will be questioned more

GOOD THINKIN on gettin it in the contract!!..

its all part of the game with the dealership....the money makin game...:shaking:

hvac59
12-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Every Dealership has a differant "CULTURE", so to speak. I've have bought and sold alot of cars and we all can see it if we take the time to do our homework. Being a service manager myself (not automotive !), I have a buisness to take care of and that is the bottom line. The rules and leave-way are dictated by the owner and or/the corporation that the franchise is sponsored through. Fortunately, the culture of my company is to build LONG TERM relationships and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. This is'nt to say that I have not fired a few customers for being jerks and disruptive. Oh boy , I have.
There are two Jeep dealers in my area that are Pro-Offroad sponsors. They have the OFFROAD CULTURE and will/do work with their customers. They operate their own performance shops and make a good profit in it. Now, the other dozen or so Jeep dealerships are Pro-??????? and have given zero leave-way to their service writers to work with problems. I learned the hard way and will never go back to them. I've done dealer trades right off of their lots and drove a hour(past three other dealers) to work with my preffered salesperson and dealership.There aftermarket prices are fair( alittle high), but I still feed the machine alittle. They do give me 15% off OEM parts tho.
My only point is that seek a dealership that is in the OFFROAD buisness if you can.....................otherwise be aware of the things that "INDICATORS of TAMPERING":shaking:

hvac59

xdhatcherx
12-02-2007, 09:39 AM
The rules and leave-way are dictated by the owner and or/the corporation that the franchise is sponsored through. . .

hvac59

My rules and leave-way are dictated by what I can reasonably interpret my contract with said dealership and Jeep themselves to mean. If not honored, you sue the company pursuant to laws and regulations those businesses are forced to comply with (namely: honoring their written agreements). :grinpimp:

maverick
01-16-2008, 07:43 PM
So much for "trail rated"...

JerzeyJeeper
01-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Do performance mods void warranties (i.e. Airaid CAI and TBS)? What about after market exhaust systems?

skibum
03-23-2008, 10:25 AM

This is VERY interesting information. I got into a major pissing contest with the dealer that sold me my Jeep. Essentially, it went back three times for coolant leaks that they couldn't ever find (even though coolant was spraying all over the inside of the hood). I then spent about 15 minutes looking at it, discovered the leak, showed them and demanded they fix it. By this time I was so pissed that I spent hours going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and found a variety of other issues, some minor some not so minor. Missing interior trim pieces, soft top damage and leaks, etc. When they failed to solve any of these other problems, I slammed them on the survey and escalated the problems to DCX. DCX was also less than responsive. It took months for the area rep. to call me and make some minor effort at resolving the problems. Long story short, now that I have a serious problem (transmission / torque convertor), I can't get them to admit that there is anything wrong (even though a tranny shop and my mechanic agree with me that something is very wrong). BTW, I have purchased mopar accessories from the dealer as well as letting them do some of my oil changes and all diff fluid changes. Anybody know how, or if, this "loyalty system" penalizes someone for expecting good service?

mytjjeep
03-24-2008, 09:40 AM
This same thing happens in any service/repair industry, we do the same for furnace and A/C repairs. The big point to get is that we only use the frequent customer part if it's a repair that is in a GREY area. If it's a definate manufacturers defect it's covered no matter what. But if it's something that the lack of maintenance or owner mistake if they have been very good customers we explain the situation and do the best we can to push it through under warranty or even after. There is a lot of things that go into that "calculation" mostly how the customer has been in the past to all of us at the shop. Pissy/Crabby people get know real fast, and that impression follows you all the way to the top. Everyone gets the proper/proffesional care and respect they deserve but frequent customers get extra care that infrequent customers just don't/won't ever get. OK just my two cents worth sorry for stateing the obvious. LOL
Skibum just move on to a different dealership and start a fresh relationship there. Just remember that if you have another major problem that gets pushed up to DCX the last dealership situation will follow you there, so try to find a good dealer and cultivate a relationship with them. It sucks and shouldn't have to be that way but it sounds like the other dealership wasn't a good one to start with. They should have done right by you to start with but doesn't sound like they will at this point. Move on and tell EVERYONE YOU CAN about their service. I went through the same thing, three dealership, with my TC.