SUWA Twists? Moab Brewery's Words For Radio Advertisement [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: SUWA Twists? Moab Brewery's Words For Radio Advertisement

capt scotty
08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
There is a new commercial about Utah Wild Lands from SUWA. Dave Sabey is the spokesperson on the commercial. He states that OHV use is a huge threat and that that is not the most important thing in Moab!!:pissed:
He is the owner of MOAB BREWERY I suggest anyone who is interested in the use of off-roading should NO LONGER SUPPORT THIS BUSSINESS!!!:thefinger:
Please pass this along to everyone headed to MOAB!

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW. SUWA WOULD LIKE TO CLOSE ALL BACK COUNTRY TO MOTORIZED USE!

Alaska-HWY JK
08-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks, we were not impressed with the food or the service there anyway so its definitely off our list.

voodoojk
08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
then he better take dans jeep off the wall and stop playing wheeling videos all day long

HITMONEY
08-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Wait a minute.. doesn't the Brewery have a Jeep inside?

Sludge Puppy
08-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes it does~! This will hurt his business

STUPIDFACE
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Fuck that fucking fucker..

Co4Lo
08-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Their beer is weak anyway.:shaking:

HITMONEY
08-19-2011, 06:16 PM
This needs to be verified... I'm confused.

SoK66
08-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Same thing with McStiff's. They signed an anti- motorized SUWA petition a few years ago, then turned around and said they didn't know what SUWA was up to. Total horse shit. Haven't been back there since. OP, thanks for posting, I'll pass this on to our club and CO4x4.

HITMONEY
08-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I cannot find the commercial.. has anyone actually seen it?

HITMONEY
08-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Lets lower the pitchforks until the story can be corroborated. Let the facts to be presented before anyone calls to hurt someone's business via boycott.

ASFIR4X4_AZ
08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
The beer there is not week, just to keep things in order!

capt scotty
08-19-2011, 09:51 PM
I cannot find the commercial.. has anyone actually seen it?

This is a radio ad running on KSL in Salt Lake City.

Co4Lo
08-19-2011, 10:12 PM
The beer there is not week, just to keep things in order!

Yes. It's weak. They are only allowed to serve weak brew on tap in Utah. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you must have been fake-drunk. :thefinger:
http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2009/05/utah-liquor-laws.html

desert dog
08-20-2011, 11:01 AM
If true, that sucks about Moab Brewery, I thought they were pro-access. But you have to be careful, because in 2007 the libtards put several business on the list that did not agree with anti-access (like the Moab Chevron, the deli, and a couple hotels) and they had to fight to have their names removed from that list.

Definitely stay away from Eddie McStiffs and Miguel's Baja Grill. They are outspoken anti-access businesses. As are almost any place in Moab that rents bikes or sells candles.

Ill wait to see how this pans out before I form an opinion.

HITMONEY
08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I called the Brewery to try and confirm this and talked to the manager on duty, she referred me to talk to the General Manager, Michael Miller, who is also part owner. He won't be in until Tuesday.

SoK66
08-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Has anyone actually heard this ad?

Turns out one of the KSL reporters, John Daley, is married to Heidi MacIntosh, SUWA's lead attorney.

capt scotty
08-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Dan Mick is going to see if they can get the sound bite. He does a radio show everyday in Moab.

MaloCS
08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I'll just keep my hard earned dollars in Colorado.

greenjeep84
08-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Today at lunch, my wife and I went into the Moab Brewery to get to the bottom of what's going on. We spoke with Michael Miller, the general manager, and a friend of ours. He was aware of the radio ad, and had already been speaking extensively with his partner in Park City, Dave Sabey, who is the voice of the commercial. He states that his words were misinterpreted, and the way SUWA hacked together a message completely destroyed his original intent behind what he said. Dave had the radio ad pulled today, because of its skewed contents.

Here is the e-mail message he sent to Michael and his other partner John:

"Hi David and Misty, thanks so much for your concern and helping up combat this. Here is the response that my partner typed up. Please let your friends know, we do appreciate them and hope they understand the circumstances.

(From Dave Sabey) ‘Michael and John- I am surprised at the reaction generated by the above referenced ad. I thought it was very clear that I was referring to Wilderness Areas and the impact of off road vehicles in those areas. Our discussion from which the sound bite was taken centered on ATVs and their impact when they are illegally ridden in and on existing wilderness areas. Of course SUWA left out the specific mention of those instances I was referring to such as illegally riding the ATVs in pristine stream beds and untracked areas. They also left out much of the discussion that centered around my concerns that SUWA is too “in your face” and needs to try harder to work with all the interested parties and advance a more balanced objective concerning off-roading. Hell Michael, I’ll be the first to stand up and champion people’s rights to use the public lands as long as it is done in a responsible manner, which I don’t think includes off-roading in Wilderness Areas. In fact, we are currently shopping for an off-road capable camper van to explore all the great off-road areas around Moab and the entire western US.’

Michael Miller”

Neither the Moab Brewery, or its owners are anti-OHV. This is another case of SUWA manipulating the words of other people in order to promote their own skewed agenda. We all know that SUWA lies, cheats, and steals in order to try to win followers to support their misguided goals.

Thank you to those of you who didn't overreact until hearing both sides of the story. Please pass this on, so that others will know the truth.

David Adams
Red Rock 4-Wheelers Land Use Officer

chromedome
08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
I will boycott them just because they have a working relationship with SUWA. Misquoted or not.

SoK66
08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for posting. Saw that response over on CO4x4 and was goind to copy it over here.

A couple issues:

- Given SUWA's past lies & manipulations, didn't Dave Sabey know what kind of people he was dealing with?

- Is he pursuing them and/or KSL for a retraction or to correct the record?

This issue SHOULD NOT be dropped. If Sabey's being truthful it's just one more example of SUWA's underhanded tactics. Someone besides USA-ALL needs to get and STAY in SUWA's face. You SLC Jeepers, etc. need to picket their offices every day. KSL, too.

capt scotty
08-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Sorry for my delayed responce. I want to thank everyone for responding to my rant about this ad. The responce that came from it shows we are willing to fight for what we believe in. Whether the answer from The Brewery was a CYA tactic or not is yet to be seen. The best news is the ad got pulled, SUWA looks lie the d-bags they truley are, and companies may think a little harded about their actions.

Thanks again for all those that got to the bottom of this!!!!

Mods, could you channge the Thread title maybe: SUWA SUCKS AGAIN!!! or something more appropriate so The Moab Brewery is not impacted.

HITMONEY
08-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Sorry for my delayed responce. I want to thank everyone for responding to my rant about this ad. The responce that came from it shows we are willing to fight for what we believe in. Whether the answer from The Brewery was a CYA tactic or not is yet to be seen. The best news is the ad got pulled, SUWA looks lie the d-bags they truley are, and companies may think a little harded about their actions.

Mods, could you channge the Thread title maybe: SUWA SUCKS AGAIN!!! or something more appropriate so The Moab Brewery is not impacted.

10-4

Looks to me like Dave Sabey trusted the SUWA and got bit in the ass for it. Hard way to learn a pretty rudimentary lesson IMO.

Worst case scenario is he was outted as a SUWA supporter.. either way.. dumb move.

SoK66
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Scotty, could you post this over on Colorado 4x4, too? I don't want to just quote your response. Thanks again for letting us know about this, every little bit helps when we're dealing with SUWA.

desert dog
08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Mr Sabey sounds like he is playing both sides of the coin to me. Why would he do an interview with these rabid enviros and agree to have it aired in the first place? So he admits that he half-way agrees with them?

What kind of idiot believes that riding an ATV in a stream bed does permanent harm to the environment when the stream beds FLASH FLOOD every time it rains!

I'm sorry, but the off-road community is fighting hard to open up all of the so-called "Wilderness Study" areas back to public access. Mr. Sabey's comments in his response make it sound like he sides with SUWA on this. Moab Brewery will not get another dime from me.

SoK66
08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
That's the question I want answered, but I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer from the guy. Something very odd about this whole incident.

Tectah
10-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I will boycott them just because they have a working relationship with SUWA. Misquoted or not.

Exactly.

He knew who he was hopping in the sack with. What a two faced prick.

Moab Brewery will never see another penny from me or any of my friends who hear about it.

He could make right by making a LARGE annual donation to the Blue Ribbon Coalition. Maybe after a few years of dedication to the support of public land use I'd pop in and spend some $ on one of our frequent trips to Utah.

Spread the word. These enemies need to be outed.