A challenge to put your money where your mouth is. [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: A challenge to put your money where your mouth is.

mckbrew
08-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Post Joined the Blue Ribbon Coalition
After reading a recent article about another group trying to close National Forest Roads I decided to put my money where my mouth is and take steps toward taking a stand.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/11/ta ... latestnews

Joined the Blue Ribbon Coalition yesterday. They have a decent payment plan for those interested in a lifetime membership. I just went with the one year for now.

Take a look at the membership of this group, vs some of the big "environmental" groups out there. We are under-represented. It's actually baffling to me as I see so many forum posts from people like us complaining about loss of access.

I agree that there needs to be a balance between those who want peace and quiet and those who want to drive 4x4's, ATV's, etc... However most of these anti-access groups really don't want anyone, especially those with motorized vehicles up there.

If you are already an active member of a group or are attending the meetings, KUDOS to you. For the rest of you, I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is and protect our access to our land, the land that our tax dollars, permits, etc... pay for.

Furthermore, I think we need to follow the issues more closely and always send our comments and thoughts to the government, even if the area isn't in our backyard.

If you are interested in the BRC.

https://www.sharetrails.org/secure/join_or_contribute/

REBEL OFFROAD
08-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Proud business member of the BRC.

jeeperjkj
08-12-2011, 09:50 AM
So, if you buy a Lifetime Membership is the $500 tax deductible?

PLEASE NOTE: Due to IRS regulations, a contribution does not automatically count as membership. If you wish to join or renew AND make a contribution, fill out both sections of the form accordingly.

mckbrew
08-12-2011, 10:13 PM
From the website.

Donations are tax deductible, while membership dues are not. The Internal Revenue Service requires that there be a distinct difference between these donations and a membership. If you are sending your membership/renewal along with a donation, please stipulate this in an attached note. Thank you for your support of the BlueRibbon Coalition.

My thought process: Who cares if it is tax deductible or not?

This is something we need to be serious about. In every forum I've posted this on it's got very few views or responses. No offense to anyone, but if you aren't a member of these organizations and you have ever complained about something getting closed, you really can't say much.

jeeperjkj
08-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, just wondering. It's not a deal breaker obviously, but if it is deductible, I want to know. Thanks.

mckbrew
08-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah, just wondering. It's not a deal breaker obviously, but if it is deductible, I want to know. Thanks.

There is also the option to donate to either the General Fund or Legal Fund. I might send some cash that way too.

oz97tj
08-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Also look into United Four Wheel Drive Association. There is generally regional Associations as well that work closely with United. Tread Lightly is also a good group to support.

I'm a member of all the above along with the BRC and a local club. I've also been on the board of a few of these organizations. The unfortunate thing is far too many wheelers don't understand how easily trails get taken away from all of us. They also don't realize how very small things that they may do on the trails actually hurts us.

Not only should we all put up a little bit of coin to support the groups fighting for wheelers, but we all should try to spread the word as much as possible and even get involved if you are capable to fight the fight. At the very least, we should all be attending the various trail clean ups that occur all over the country on a regular basis.