Mirror holes ???????? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Mirror holes ????????

09JK
01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I have caught lil bits and glimpses of if I remember right you guys drilling holes in the mirrors ???????? Is it so the D@M things dont hold water and keep dripping out for a day or so???? Or am I way off?? Getting tired of washing and shammying it only to come out later or next day and have water spots and streaks everywhere ?? thanks I know its a Jeep but "Just because you play dirty doesnt mean you have to stay dirty " LOL

StubEXrube
01-21-2009, 05:04 PM
The gasket material along with no drainage cause the mirrors to hold water, but also that water has an easy way to migrate down into the door panels inside, where the water and rust can cause damage.

You can easily remove the mirrors with the two hex bolts on the inside of the door. Cut away some of the gasket material and drill or file a small hole or "V" notch at the bottom of the base.

ThirdCoast
01-21-2009, 05:38 PM
it bugs me that 6 hours later water is still dripping off the mirrors :shaking:. Thanks for the info on why it does, the fix seems easy enough to try this weekend.

StubEXrube
01-21-2009, 05:54 PM
it bugs me that 6 hours later water is still dripping off the mirrors :shaking:. Thanks for the info on why it does, the fix seems easy enough to try this weekend.

Definitely. Make sure that you cut enough of the gasket material away to allow the water to flow freely into the notch or hole. That way it won't continue to drip out. Funny after washing the jeep, you keep waiting, and waiting for the last drop of water...and it never seems to come.

FWIW- When I did mine, I had already heard it described, but couldn't really picture it. As soon as you remove the mirror, it becomes immediately apparent how to do it correctly. Also depending on the age and condition of the vehicle, remove the mirror and gasket carefully as to not rip the gasket material in case it is "stuck" a little bit.

09JK
01-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Ok sounds easy enough IT DRIVES ME NUTS lol anyone have any pics ??

StubEXrube
01-21-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677&highlight=drilling+mirrors

bfj aka tambil
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I just drilled mine, took a sharp bit and ten seconds per side. LOL

StubEXrube
01-22-2009, 07:01 PM
JMO- Still best to remove and cut some of the gasket so that all of the water drains out. I made my notch right on the edge of the base. Not saying "better" just a different way that still doesnt take much time. JMO

09JK
01-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Did mine yesterday and it took all of 20mins Removed both mirrors cut both gaskets 1/4in wide and about 1/2in upward. IMO if you dont cut the gasket it isnt going to help much at all. Then I took a razor knife to the factory V and kept cutting off small slithers till I had the size I wanted... (about 4 times the size of factory). Have not tested it yet but should make a BIG diff..:bounce:

StubEXrube
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Did mine yesterday and it took all of 20mins Removed both mirrors cut both gaskets 1/4in wide and about 1/2in upward. IMO if you dont cut the gasket it isnt going to help much at all. Then I took a razor knife to the factory V and kept cutting off small slithers till I had the size I wanted... (about 4 times the size of factory). Have not tested it yet but should make a BIG diff..:bounce:

Absolutely. I was hoping you would remove them to see what a difference cutting down the gasket would make.

Guaranteed!

:beer:

09JK
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
And as usual I greatly appreciate ALL your help :beer::beer::beer:

SilverJK41
01-26-2009, 05:03 AM
JMO- Still best to remove and cut some of the gasket so that all of the water drains out. I made my notch right on the edge of the base. Not saying "better" just a different way that still doesnt take much time. JMO

I agree with removing them. You definitly need to get rid of some of the foam gasket material.:)

07unlimitedx
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the great idea... notched out the factory holes... made them bigger and took some of the foam out. It did look like mine were draining properly, but, for good measure, got it done.:grinpimp:

firewire
02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Ahhhhhh! This post just happened to catch my atttention! I am glad I found it. Going to get it done asap!

Dr.Dirty
02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
what is all this water you spaek of?

LMAO

i drilled mine also

HITMONEY
02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
what is all this water you spaek of?

LMAO

i drilled mine also

I know.. I regularly put my rig in holes so deep it will literally float across, get it caked in mud so thick you could sculpt a bust of a world leader, or Dolly Parton's bust" on the hood....

But when I use to watch the water drip out of the fricken mirror for hours... even days after I was it it would drive me Nucking Futz!

So yeah.. I did the drill job to and walked around with a limp wrist for the rest of that day as punishment.

jeeperjkjeeper
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I first tried the drill method and soon realised that it still does not completely drain all the water out as well as it takes forever to drain.
I took the mirrors completely off and removed the gasket and cut it in half( top half remains ), i then used a sharp knife and made an upside down "V" notch starting at the original peak where the drill hole was made...put a good coat of wax on all covered metal and it drains fantastic...barely noticable and I took the mirrors off approx 2 months after the mod and it was bone dry and no signs of rubbing or wear between the mirror and the door panel.:smokin:

07unlimitedx
02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I notched mine out about twice the size... and removed some the the gasket... all the water runs out within a couple of min... this should work for you... give it a try.:beer: