Hard shifting from 1st to 2nd [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Hard shifting from 1st to 2nd

bunkrdfool
01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
So my 07 X, New to me, but has 15000 miles on it. Ive had it just about a week now. And when i shift from first into second gear its like the shifter hits something and clicks in to gear. Doesnt grind, but feels like it is trying to get by some obstruction. Doesnt happen with any of the other gears. Still under warranty, but i need to know if this is just a normal little thing or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated

gt3073b
01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Does it go away once it warms up? It seems that most or all of the 6-speeds are a little rough going into second until it warms up. The synchronizers don't work as well when the tranny fluid is cold and thick. Just go easy on the shifting and don't crank on the stick until it warms up.

Bryan.

bunkrdfool
01-16-2009, 07:49 PM
It doesnt get THAT much better when its warmed up.... but i dont really drive it for like 30 mins either ... and its been like 10 degrees out for a high here the past week, so the tranny getting warm is almost out of the question. I dont beat on it either. If it becomes a big problem i might just take it to the dealer and see whats up

StubEXrube
01-16-2009, 07:49 PM
never had this problem with my manual, even when cold. have heard of similar situations though. I might check into the tsb bin on this one, to see if there is one relating to it. jmo

like stated...may be related to the synchro.

bunkrdfool
01-16-2009, 08:15 PM
No tsb's already looked. Might just have the dealer take a peek

USAntigoon
01-17-2009, 06:46 AM
First and second are triple cone synchronizers and will drag somewhat with a colder oil environment.. Also keep in mind that the detent spring load might be higher in the 1-2 rail, combined with more coupler teeth backtaper because of higher torque transfers hence avoiding gear jump out..
A lot of technical crap to say that this hard 1-2 shift is somewhat inherent for manual transmissions...:)

timbo
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I have a 2007 Unlimited JK it does the same thing so if you take it to the dealership let us know what they say. Cause I'm thinking about doing the same thing.