Rubicon locker in non-rubi D44? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rubicon locker in non-rubi D44?

diver_matt
07-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Might have been asked before but....will an e-locker from a rubicon fit in a non-rubicon model Dana 44 rear? Does it require certain gears?

Alaska-HWY JK
07-16-2011, 11:13 PM
No. And theres better better lockers available.

jeeperjkj
07-17-2011, 03:12 AM
Go ARB.

nootherride
07-17-2011, 05:17 AM
no how no way...a better question is why?....mabe if it was free or something but still there junk... ARB,detriot,eaton E locker all of these are a wise choice...

jeeperjkj
07-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Isn't the Rubi locker basically an Eaton elocker?

Broncojohn
07-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Isn't the Rubi locker basically an Eaton elocker?

Did you really say that? ;) The zombies will be at your door soon.

jeeperjkj
07-17-2011, 05:53 AM

Bring 'em on. I'm in Iraq. It couldn't possibly be the worst thing that I've dealt with over here. Plus, I'm armed in my room. It'd give me a reason to use up some ammo. :)

I did search a little, but can't find too much info on them.

School me... I'm waiting.

nootherride
07-17-2011, 05:59 AM

^:D eaton e-locker is a selectable (electronic activated) detroit locker

Mopar locker is a korean/chinese poorly made knock off of an electronic loc
and doesnt posess half the strength or reliabilty of the others it was designed specifically for the dana 44 rubicons...hence the higher axle spline count and the incapadability of parts between dana 44's

Broncojohn
07-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Mopar locker is a korean/chinese poorly made knock off of an electronic loc
and doesnt posess half the strength or reliabilty of the others it was designed specifically for the dana 44 rubicons...hence the higher axle spline count and the incapadability of parts between dana 44's

Are you positive? You can buy any locker in almost any spline count if you ask the Mfg. 32 Spline is odd for the 44 but not for others, I wouldn't call it a knockoff. I would like to see where the NG 44 is really produced (I don't know myself but I doubt it is Korea or China).

As for lockers there are producers of high volume components that are not available off the shelf unless you have access or build vehicles. GM has had an E-locker since the early 2000's who makes that one?

I do believe the Rubicon e-locker is inferior, but I wouldn't go to say that it is Chinese crap. I've abused mine until it popped and the only reason it failed is because I contaminated the gear oil. Does anyone have the whole true story on the Jeep Locker? To many people have been burned and you have alot of he said she said, and I know someone.

jeeperjkj
07-17-2011, 09:34 AM
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0906_rubicon_jk_dana_44_axles/index.html

The J8 front 44 is the only new New Generation-style Mopar 44 that can use an aftermarket ARB or Detroit locking differential, as all the 44s that come with the GKN locker are currently machined in a way that doesn't allow swapping in the aftermarket lockers.

I'm guessin' German based on

http://www.gkndriveline.com/drivelinecms/export/sites/driveline/downloads/brochures/FPIBrochure.pdf

Broncojohn
07-17-2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0906_rubicon_jk_dana_44_axles/index.html

I'm guessin' German based on

http://www.gkndriveline.com/drivelinecms/export/sites/driveline/downloads/brochures/FPIBrochure.pdf

http://wardsauto.com/ar/gkn_awd_technologies/

Japan and North America is all I found so far.

Broncojohn
07-17-2011, 09:51 AM
LOL, It's manufactured in the USA.

http://www.gkndriveline.com/drivelinecms/opencms/en/news/news/article_0010.html

jeeperjkj
07-17-2011, 09:57 AM
LOL, It's manufactured in the USA.

http://www.gkndriveline.com/drivelinecms/opencms/en/news/news/article_0010.html

Where on that page does it say it's used in the JK?

Broncojohn
07-17-2011, 10:17 AM
If you refer to the Ward Article where the JK diff. is called the "EDL" from the Titan and the GKN article saying the "EDL" from the Titan. I put 2 and 2 together.

diver_matt
07-17-2011, 11:10 AM
First, I could have gotten one for very little but not free. Second, I've read threads inquiring about broken lockers. None have reported being broken in normal off roading (not competitive crawling). Lastly, I love how everyone says "GO ARB" as though everyone has $1000 just for parts.

jeeperjkj
07-17-2011, 11:29 AM
$1,000 is just the tip of the iceberg when looking for an ARB.

Locker will run ya $1,000 by itself.
Air compressor - $200-$500
Gears - $300ish with install kit
Install labor (unless you can do it) - $350 or so

I have one thought when doing Jeep mods... do it right the first time or wait until I can afford to do it right.

Go ARB unless you don't mind having an auto locker... then go Detroit.

If you really wanna know what I think... I'd say go for a D60. Add up my list above and you'll be very close to $2kish. If you're gonna do all that, you might as well add in some cmoly shafts. At that point, add in another $1k or so and you can get a damn D60 rear. Like I said, do it right... the first time. :D

Dynatrac
07-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Sorry but wrong. The ELocker is open then locks like a spool, not like a Detroit Locker. I WISH it worked that way as it would be much better than fully locked.

These locker threads frequently go off track.

Part of the confusion is that many users call the Rubi locker an ELocker. As others have mentioned, it's an entirely different selectable made by GKN. Eaton builds a product trademarked 'ELocker'. I've faced this confusion many times as customers frequently confuse Auburns Ected with the ELocker too.

A bit of history- Tractech made the Detroit Locker, Truetrac, E-Z Locker, Gearless Locker, Electrac and No-Spin Locker for many years. The Eaton Corp bought Tractech in 2005 and immediately made a lot of changes. Most not so good. Eaton now builds the Detroit Locker, Truetrac, the Gearless (ATV locker) and a couple off highway industrial products. They also still produce their Eaton Posi and ELocker. The Eaton ELocker has also been around for years but it's most commonly seen in factory applications. Some of these factory applications also fit some aftermarket axles and they released some of these through aftermarket distributors. This is where Eaton had trouble and why the GKN factory Rubi locker isn't considered a great locker.

The OE selectable lockers were built to GM and Jeep spec. A major consideration was price. It's ALWAYS a major consideration with the OE mfgrs. When the lockers were built they had to work in a vehicle with a specified tire size, a specified engine, a specified transmission, a specified transfer case and a specified weight. To keep costs down, the lockers were built to work within these specifications but not much more. Change any of these specs significantly, and you're going to have problems with the lockers. You may not like how your Rubi locker works but used within specs it is a great product. (BTW- The Auburn Ected was designed as an OE product but Auburn didn't get the contract so they released it in the afttermarket)

Lockers designed for aftermarket use like an ARB and the Dana 30 and 35 ELockers, are built to handle much greater loads because the vehicle specs are basically unknown. Most aftermarket diff builders build product that fails AFTER the ring gear. Cost isn't as much of a factor but reputation is crucial.

Don't be too upset when your factory part can't survive your aftermarket setup.

SoK66
07-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Ditto, thanks!

07RedX
07-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Is it possible to get a set of rubicon axles and locker and swap it into a non-rubicon housing?
Seems like just the axle spline count is different.

Any info?

ETA: I have an 07 Unlimited X with the tow package and 4.10's (dana 30 & 44).

Thanks

Dynatrac
07-18-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Rubicon diffs will not fit in non-rubi housings.

enigmaverse
07-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Shaft size is also different... non rubi shafts are the same size, rubi shafts are about an inch (or so) different. Passenger side is longer.

07RedX
07-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks!

diver_matt
07-18-2011, 12:28 PM
For what I'll use the jeep for, a D60 would be overkill. As for lockers, they're $800-850 here plus $200-250 for the compressor retail. Probably just do an auto locker front and gears now.

$1,000 is just the tip of the iceberg when looking for an ARB.

Locker will run ya $1,000 by itself.
Air compressor - $200-$500
Gears - $300ish with install kit
Install labor (unless you can do it) - $350 or so

I have one thought when doing Jeep mods... do it right the first time or wait until I can afford to do it right.

Go ARB unless you don't mind having an auto locker... then go Detroit.

If you really wanna know what I think... I'd say go for a D60. Add up my list above and you'll be very close to $2kish. If you're gonna do all that, you might as well add in some cmoly shafts. At that point, add in another $1k or so and you can get a damn D60 rear. Like I said, do it right... the first time. :D

Broncojohn
07-18-2011, 12:49 PM
For what I'll use the jeep for, a D60 would be overkill. As for lockers, they're $800-850 here plus $200-250 for the compressor retail. Probably just do an auto locker front and gears now.

Just do the detroit, it's quick and easy. The lack of power makes it easy to control on the ice, and you have it everytime you need it, not when you think you need it.