Trailer Brake Controller [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Trailer Brake Controller

4ws.com
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
It looks like we will be towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer to LA and Moab this year....with the JK.

Any recommendations on a trailer brake controller? I haven't bought one in years.

BeerMonkeY
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
i have the prodigty, and it works good, i got a extra plug and mount for it so i can use ut in my wifes car also, which is a nice benifit

DILYSI Dave
01-14-2009, 07:43 PM
The prodigy works well. That said, there's no way in hell I'd tow a 20' enclosed with a JK.

USAntigoon
01-14-2009, 08:01 PM
You want to learn something more about brake controllers, read up HERE (http://www.brake-controller.com/brake_controller/brake_controller_comparison_chart.html).

I second the other posters comments...towing a 20ft trailer will become a suicidal mission with a JK.. The brake controller will do the job, but the sway will be "uncontrollable" (just my humble opinion)

Big A
01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
The prodigy works well. That said, there's no way in hell I'd tow a 20' enclosed with a JK.
This is not an ordinary JK, The 4ws.com JK is so beefed up with a 6.1 Hemi, And Solid 60's...

make us proud Kevin! :beer:

paragon
01-15-2009, 08:07 AM
It looks like we will be towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer to LA and Moab this year....with the JK.

Any recommendations on a trailer brake controller? I haven't bought one in years.

Tekonsha Prodigy. Very adaptable

are you doing anything in the rear for the tongue weight?

some air helpers and weight distribution hitch would do wonders for handling

4ws.com
01-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I have the Tekonsha Voyager in my other rig and it's a pain to level. I think I might take it out and get a Prodigy to swap between the two rigs. It looks like a lot better unit.

We have converted the rear to leaf springs to handle payload and towing better. I'm still not 100% sure what to expect, so we'll give it a couple test runs before driving across the country.

I'll post up a build thread in a min....I just got around to signing up for a yellow star and didn't want to put any of that type stuff up until we paid up.

DILYSI Dave
01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
This is not an ordinary JK, The 4ws.com JK is so beefed up with a 6.1 Hemi, And Solid 60's...

make us proud Kevin! :beer:

My concern has nothing to do with engine or axle strength, and everything to do with vehicle height, suspension geometry (compression-rear-steer) and overall wheelbase. As someone who has jack-knifed a short wheelbase 4x4 on the interstate while towing a relatively light load (4000# or so) I'm pretty conservative when it comes to towing. The rear leafs should help the rear-steer, so that's good. But it's still a pretty short, high, softly sprung vehicle for that trailer. If you do it - be careful!