U-joints Which ones for backup? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: U-joints Which ones for backup?

bodybrdng
01-13-2009, 04:25 AM
What is a good u-joint to keep in the JK for trail riding? Just incase one breaks.

igofshn
01-13-2009, 06:19 AM
If you break a ujoint, chances are the ears on the axle or ears on the driveshaft will be trashed. I haven't seen very many that were repairable. You are better off carrying a set of axles and driveshafts.

If you think you really need to carry them , stock is just fine.

ProZack
01-13-2009, 06:46 AM
X2 ^

The OE shafts are not to pricy to carry as a spare, but if you feel you are going hard enough to break a shaft then get some beefy aftermarket shafts swap them out and carry your OE's as spares.

PhilD
01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
get some beefy aftermarket shafts swap them out and carry your OE's as spares.X2 That is what I do now.

If you want to significantly improve the chances of not breaking an axle UJ, then tack weld the caps in place. Nearly all the breakages I've seen are from the caps coming lose.

If you want to carry a spare UJ, then the Mopar one is as good as any.

bodybrdng
01-14-2009, 08:55 AM
X2 That is what I do now.

If you want to significantly improve the chances of not breaking an axle UJ, then tack weld the caps in place. Nearly all the breakages I've seen are from the caps coming lose.

If you want to carry a spare UJ, then the Mopar one is as good as any.

cool, only prob is I don't not have access to a welder :shaking:

PhilD
01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
cool, only prob is I don't not have access to a welder :shaking:If you don't know someone who can do it, get a mobile welder to come out and do it, I doubt he'd charge much and it's worth doing.

WTF_LOL
01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
I even swung by a muffler shop once and gave them a few bucks to do it, lol

Just make sure that whoever does it you explain to them to run it cool and to just hit it. YOu don't want it getting to hot and cooking out the grease