ND State Laws and Your Jeep a simple rundown [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: ND State Laws and Your Jeep a simple rundown

SourMashJeep
06-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Hope this helps if you have plans this summer for your Jeep, ND is one of the lesser off road vehicle friendly states IMHO :beer:

CODE: NDCC & NDAC

Maximun lift of 4"

Max body Height of 42"

Max bumper height of 27" (must have bumper)

Max tire size of 44" (GVW 700lbs or less)

Max Vehicle size of 102" W X 14' H X 50' L

Max frame height is undefined but (GVW 7k lbs. and under) must not have the lowest part of the body more than 42" above roadway

Fenders are required on vehicles that have been modified from stock and on all four wheels. They must cover the full width of the tire tread and covers 15deg on the front and a min of 75deg on the rear of the vertical centerline of the wheel.

Lights

Min" Max"
min# 2 Head lights 24 / 54
min# 2 Tail lights 15 / 72
max# 2 Spot lights na / na
max# 2 Fog lights 12 / 30
max# 2 Aux. Passing lights 24 / 42
max# 2 Aux. Driving lights 16 / 42

Max lights (on while driving) is 4

Windshield is required

Mufflers are required

Engine swaps are unclear

Steering on vehicles less than 7k lbs. can not be modified

Brakes must be functional and a secondary mechanical parking brake is required

Only 1 mirror is required and it must provide visibility to the rear of the vehicle of a minumum 200'

offroader613
07-05-2011, 08:36 PM
*sigh* my nearly stock WJ almost doesn't meet some of those requirements...

JPlimo
07-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah, our laws suck! I have always driven a lifted truck's, and I have no less than 6 equipment violations to my name!

My JK is farly mild, but im sure if an officer really wanted to, they could find a few reasons to write me a ticket.

Im going to try a stubby front bumper out, kind of wondering if that will snag me a ticket?

offroader613
07-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Im going to try a stubby front bumper out, kind of wondering if that will snag me a ticket?

I hate to be the one to say go ahead and try it...but they only really require coverage above the tire itself, and it says a thing for bumper height, but no mention of a width...

SourMashJeep
08-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I say go for it, I trimmed mine down about as far as I could get away with, I havent seen any other trimmed bumpers around though.... Im thinking about getting brave and trim those obese fenders down next...

Dakotawolf
11-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Looks like I'm starting to work on how many violations I may have. Tires: fenders must cover tire tread or the whole tire? I may have to add those damn flexi flares to keep cops at bay. Also, I don't understand what is meant by 15 degree front and 75 degree on rear. Can someone explain this more clearly? I think I understand but just want it clarified.

What has become of the stubby bumper question? I caught the dang plastic bumper and partially dented/collapsed one side. Was thinking of cutting it off and putting RC or VDP caps on it until I can afford something else. VDP look more factory. I did find some reference in the Century Code about width of the body. But will the cops say body of fenders? It's ND. Who knows. I'm in the Bismarck/Mandan area. Thanks!!!

SourMashJeep
03-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Looks like I'm starting to work on how many violations I may have. Tires: fenders must cover tire tread or the whole tire? I may have to add those damn flexi flares to keep cops at bay. Also, I don't understand what is meant by 15 degree front and 75 degree on rear. Can someone explain this more clearly? I think I understand but just want it clarified.

What has become of the stubby bumper question? I caught the dang plastic bumper and partially dented/collapsed one side. Was thinking of cutting it off and putting RC or VDP caps on it until I can afford something else. VDP look more factory. I did find some reference in the Century Code about width of the body. But will the cops say body of fenders? It's ND. Who knows. I'm in the Bismarck/Mandan area. Thanks!!!

I have been running a stubby bumper for about 8 months, plus trimmed fenders and no back bumper and have yet to catch any grief over it.

JPlimo
03-06-2012, 08:30 PM
I ordered a schaffers offroad stubby about a month ago, but still have not received it:mad:

However, I think it will be ok. The law only states that you need a bumper, and a height of 27", it says nothing about width. Plus on a jeep, a stubby bumper really is the width of the body.

If you live near the oil fields, I think almost anything will fly anymore! Some of the lifted 3/4 and 1tons up there are HUGE! I really think the cops have their hands full of other, more pressing issues than vehicle mods anymore. Especially on a puny little jeep, haha.

dave7200
04-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I have a 2012 and had the Jeep dealer put in a 4 inch lift. The lift alone lifted the front of the Jeep 5 1/2 inches and 4 inches in the rear. I have a set of 35's on it and they stick out of the fenders about two maybe two and a half inches. I have a cop friend I asked if I will get tickets for it. I was told it just depends on the cop and also said "dont all Jeep tires stick out of the fenders"! That last comment may be what saves me I'm hoping!