Dumb question about o2 sensors [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Dumb question about o2 sensors

2K8_CON
01-08-2009, 05:56 AM
Alright, CEL came on and had to take the Jeep in for maintenance anyways. They said it was o2 sensors and replaced them. Two days later, CEL came back on and we took it in to see what it was this time...tech said our gas cap has to be "clicked four times" so he took it off and put it back on. Drove off the lot and it came back on within two miles. Now they say we need an appointment.

My question is what makes o2 sensors go bad? and if something else was the problem could it cause the new ones to bad again already? Does that make sense?

Grant211
01-08-2009, 08:56 AM
From one previous Palm harbor resident to one current Palm Harbor resident -

Here is a good link on o2sensors
http://www.gracieland.org/cars/techtalk/O2_1.html
and
http://mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

I say keep the reciepts and threaten lemon law.

Good luck

TRJeff
01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
check electrical conections. Beware an o2 sensor can be poisoned with the incorect use of the wrong sealant, read instructions before using with any engine use.

bodyguy
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Sounds like guess work to me. Not sure of you location but have you had snow or have you been wheeling. What I'm getting at is check the hoses and wires on your evap canister.

RamJeep
01-10-2009, 08:53 PM
O2 sensors are very often replaced when they are still ok. Don't kill the messenger! For example a O2 sensor code may say "bank 2 running lean" - it could be right and the tech should check why bank 2 may be running lean (loose exhaust manifold, ...) and not just replace the O2 sensors. They can go bad and do usually slow with age but should be diagnosed properly.

2K8_CON
01-26-2009, 06:38 AM
O2 sensors are very often replaced when they are still ok. Don't kill the messenger! For example a O2 sensor code may say "bank 2 running lean" - it could be right and the tech should check why bank 2 may be running lean (loose exhaust manifold, ...) and not just replace the O2 sensors. They can go bad and do usually slow with age but should be diagnosed properly.

That's actually what they said. The bank 2 thing. Anyways, finally got an appointment and took it in today. They're having a part to fix it called a CPM overnight-ed and it'll be put in tomorrow. Is that part of the computer? I guess as long as it's free I don't care.