Winch under water [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Winch under water

bodybrdng
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
If a winch gets submerged. What should be done?

mcnaught6
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
drive out of the water, at some point.

WTF_LOL
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
drive out of the water, at some point.

LOL^^

What winch do you have and how long was it submerged?

bodybrdng
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
lol :thefinger:

Just a general question

I meant once you get home.

It hasn't happened yet. I know it will happen one day. This way I will already have an idea.
I assume you disassemble the winch, clean and dry everything, regrease, and reassemble.

WTF_LOL
01-06-2009, 01:00 PM
If it was not submerged long and is a good maker then it should be fine. Most winches are pretty well sealed. YOu be the judge...if you think there is reason to belive much water got inside you could buy a tub of grease and break the winch down and re grease it but I think that would be overkill if you just drove through a puddle with a WArn or something

EDIT: Missed the second part of your post saying it has not happened yet, lol

bodybrdng
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I ordered a smittybilt xrc-10. From what I understand that are T-max whinches with smittys name on it.

karnuvore
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
my winch gets wet when I talk dirty to her. Do you really wanna know what I do next?

beagsjeep
01-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Never had a issue with mine.i swamp the $hit out of mine works when i need it.i got stuck in this one water hole the winch was almost cover in water .pull wright out..thanks smittybilt:)

OlMan
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Obviously corrosion can be a problem. One of the problems a friend had was that a couple of years after being in a flash flood, his winch did not work. He had not used it many times over the intervening years (about three). The brushes had become corroded and the springs could no longer push into the armature. We had to take that side of the winch apart, clean and put back together. The winch did work for a while until the brushes no longer made contact. I was also in that flash flood, but I use my rig more than he does and I don't have a problem.

So, you could take the side cover off and blow water out.

bodybrdng
01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Obviously corrosion can be a problem. One of the problems a friend had was that a couple of years after being in a flash flood, his winch did not work. He had not used it many times over the intervening years (about three). The brushes had become corroded and the springs could no longer push into the armature. We had to take that side of the winch apart, clean and put back together. The winch did work for a while until the brushes no longer made contact. I was also in that flash flood, but I use my rig more than he does and I don't have a problem.

So, you could take the side cover off and blow water out.

So would you (others) say that it is a good idea to take it apart and clean / regrease every few months ?

Sorry if that sounds dumb. Just never had a winch before.

BeerMonkeY
01-08-2009, 06:39 PM
i had mine drowned several times over the last 10 years (had it on 3 other jeeps) i rebuilt it about 2 years ago and it was pretty nasty inside, i pulled the gears out and re-greased it all, i also had to replace the control plugin and 2 solinods

BeerMonkeY
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
oh its a warn M8000

RubiCajun
01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
my winch gets wet when I talk dirty to her. Do you really wanna know what I do next?

Fray your cable?:D:beer: