New JKs [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: New JKs

jeepster
01-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Iknow this is an old problem but I was wondering if you guys with new Jks are having the leak problems those of us with 07's are having. The reason I'm asking is because I found out today that Chrysler is most likely is going to replace mine.with a new one. I just do'nt want to start over.

Catdaddy
01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I have had mine for about 2 months and it has yet to leak... anywhere. However, let me know where exactly is yours leaking and I could check mine out.

beagsjeep
01-02-2009, 03:51 PM
my 08 rubicon when the first rain the windshild leaked.the top leaks a little in the back corners?:bawling:all new sh-t junk:shaking:

jeepster
01-02-2009, 03:56 PM
mine leaks in on the sides and down onto the door handles and splashs onto the seats.

bodyguy
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
mine leaks in on the sides and down onto the door handles and splashs onto the seats.

My factory tops did the same thing along with in the rear

StubEXrube
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
At least part of the leaking problem (on the 07/ 08's) was due to the butyl sealant that was used. I dont know if it is supposed to be part of the seal or if it was simply used to adhere the rubber, but you can have a perfectly watertight seal and then after several months of summer heat, the butyl leaks and the seals shift. They had redesigned the seal kit for the hardtop in 2008, but mine still leaks. It was fine for a couple months but then it came back.

Whether or not they have really fixed it on the 09's, I'm not sure.

Red Rock
01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Mine leaked on the passenger side header rail, trailed down inside the plastic trim, into my floorboard. I took it to the dealership last week to have it fixed. It hasn't really rained since then, a little snow, but no leaks so far.

I wouldn't have bothered taking it in, but there was a nice puddle on my passenger side floorboard. I was thinking about putting in a koi pond, but decided that they probably wouldn't make it through the winter - maybe this summer - if it still leaks!

JD

B'ham Jeeper
01-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Mine started leaking about a thousand miles ago. I took it into the dealer 3 times in the last month and they finally got it fixed. I guess we will see if it holds this summer.

bfj aka tambil
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
08 soft top.. no leaks ever, except when I open the doors in the rain.

koi ponds are relaxing ...I like that idea. ROFL

Dragline
01-03-2009, 06:45 AM
08 hardtop leaked :shaking: at the top of the windshield in the middle, would drip on the dash right above the radio. This was especially noticeable when braking in a nose down attitude. Took 3 times at the dealership to get it fixed.:bounce:

CubbieBlue
01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
My 08 x softtop leaked a little thru rear window where the zipper connects, when my lazy butt decided to run it thru a touchless car wash instead of getting out and actually doing it myself.:homersimpson: but the rest of it held up great. *side note* that was the worst car wash EVER!!! the dusty film never even came off! Manual scrubbing for me for now on...

rockredsahara
01-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Mine leaks in the middle of the windsheild over the radio, mosly when I'm at highway speed.I haven't had the softtop on yet(too cold out). Does that leak too?

JIMBOX
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
:grinpimp: I've had my "T-TOPS" off a bunch of times and I had the JK out in our last rain--NO LEAKY

You have to be careful in the REINSTALLATION PROCEDURE to insure-No Leak

;);) JIMBO

09JK
01-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Just bought an 09 last night and didnt even get it off the lot and noticed 3 soapy drips on the dash from the detail shop LOL

jeepster
01-04-2009, 08:32 AM
So thats it. They still have'nt got it right. I have no idea what the hell to do now.

StubEXrube
01-04-2009, 08:58 AM
So thats it. They still have'nt got it right. I have no idea what the hell to do now.

Likely still not corrected. It seems that it is just a flip of the coin as to whether or not it leaks. My hardtop, like many others, leaks in the middle of the two panels and onto the console. It also channels back to the rear of the vehicle. You can sometimes feel the carpet in the rear and look in the storage tub and find evidence of this.

I keep (used to keep- when I had a JK) a few paper towels in the console and a couple of bath towels behind the seats to be on the safe side.

Many people that DO NOT have any leak issues, have simply not had theirs long enough. Once you get some summer heat on the hardtop/ soft top, it will possibly change. The reason that I feel this way, is that chrysler never seemed to actually fix this problem completely or knowingly. Again...it seems to be a flip of the coin, as to how well installed and settled in correctly- the seal is. Some got lucky with no leaks, others have had a leal from day one, and still others used to be fine but eventually leaked. Garage kept JK's will also not see the leaking as apparent as those that sit outside.

Least of my problems these days.

jeepster
01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I know it's not a life or death deal but it just pisses me off to spend that much money and have these kind of stupid problems.

jtphoto JK
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Just out of curiosity.. How many of those that have leaky tops leave them off for long lengths of time?
I have had mine off a couple of times but reinstalled them within a half hour or so. Put the lube on the seals on reinstallation and have yet to have a leak, except the annouying stream that comes in from the drip rail when you open the door. Will the roof panels warp, hence not seal properly if not stored correctly?

StubEXrube
01-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Just out of curiosity.. How many of those that have leaky tops leave them off for long lengths of time?
I have had mine off a couple of times but reinstalled them within a half hour or so. Put the lube on the seals on reinstallation and have yet to have a leak, except the annouying stream that comes in from the drip rail when you open the door. Will the roof panels warp, hence not seal properly if not stored correctly?

Mine started leaking before they were ever off of the jeep. The panels themselves, actually seem to be made pretty well. I always would store mine out of direct sunlight if I could. I also made sure to never store them with any part of the seals contacting anything. I would guess that any thing that they rest against will only deform/ distort the seals, so I have always been very careful. I doubt that warping would be an issue unless they were stored with weight on them, causing them to distort. I can look at mine and see the foam tape shifting around and lifting. Not sure if the foam tape pieces are part of the original seal kit, or if part of the replacement kit.

woffles
01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Only had mine a couple of weeks now. No rain here, just snow so far. Been to the car wash a few times with the power wash wand and no leakage yet. I believe for 09 they added an extra lever in the middle front to tighten it up there. We'll see what happens when spring gets here and we get actual rain. I hit all the seams with the power washer to see if I had any leaks and didn't see any. I doubt rain will be any harder than what I already did to it.

redsfan
01-05-2009, 07:55 AM
I have only had my 08 for a few weeks but have been through a manual car wash a few times, heavy rain, lots of snow, and haven't noticed any leak at all. I bought a demo Limited and asked the dealer if there were problems, and none were reported. I noticed on all the 08's I looked at that the black reinforced tape has been laid below the freedom panels up front. No summer yet, and the panels were taken off once, and no leak since.

Hope it holds true...

Born2run
01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
My 08 leaks along the top of the doors when it rains always......just a pain when your getting in during rain and you get soaked on the legs plus the seat is wet:jeep2::bawling::bawling::bawling:

rubirobv
01-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I've had my 08 unlimited for ten months now and no leaks even with the ORH Soft Top. Maybe when it rains I'll know more. :thefinger:

dcj090
01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I have had mine since mid November. It has been raining off and on ever since I bought it. I have to say, even though I am scared to say, no leaks. It will probably be full up to the seats when i get into it in the morning. By the way, it is trying to rain right now. Nothing new in Southeast "Gumbo Mud" Texas.

airric00
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Mine started leaking before they were ever off of the jeep. The panels themselves, actually seem to be made pretty well. I always would store mine out of direct sunlight if I could. I also made sure to never store them with any part of the seals contacting anything. I would guess that any thing that they rest against will only deform/ distort the seals, so I have always been very careful. I doubt that warping would be an issue unless they were stored with weight on them, causing them to distort. I can look at mine and see the foam tape shifting around and lifting. Not sure if the foam tape pieces are part of the original seal kit, or if part of the replacement kit.

Have an 07 with hardtop and softtop and never once had a leak... I take it off and on as much as anyone.... I lived in Cali where it was 110-115 and now in Colorado where is was -18 a few weeks ago and neither the soft or hardtop has leaked... I clean my seals with a damp washcloth every now and then but really don't worry about it much. Guess I was lucky!!! :thefinger: knock on wood

07unlimitedx
01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I have taken my t-bars out several times... top off... soft top on several times... no leaks what so ever...am I lucky??:laughing:

rubirobv
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I've had my 08 unlimited for ten months now and no leaks even with the ORH Soft Top. Maybe when it rains I'll know more. :thefinger:

Seriously, no leak issues. 08 JK Hardtop

RamJeep
01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
No leaks yet, I do get the water coming in when I open the door sometimes. I have a 08 2 door Rubicon. Drove it since April, mostly daily driver about 12,000 miles, hardtop in fall and winter, soft top in summer, kept outside. I have removed the panels many time and had to store the hardtop outside during the summer.

I did have a foam seal in the front of my soft top fall off, still didn't leak but I think the seal was more for exterior airflow.

If there is someone with a leaking 2 door in Michigan I would be curious to see if there is a difference between the two.

scrogg
01-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I've had my JK for almost 2 years now and no leaks. I've had the hardtop off almost all summer long for both summers and the freedom panels on and off several times through out the summers. Let's hope it stays that way.

:beer:

jeepster
01-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Well it looks like I'm getting a new one. From what I understand they're buying it back and I can go shopping again. Of course I'm going to roll the dice and buy another JK. After all the crap I've been through I still love the damn things.

jeepster
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
depends what kind of deal I work out

mcnaught6
01-18-2009, 08:25 AM
had mine almost two years. dual tops and both have been on and off many times.

it leaks - above the a-pillars, if it rains much or i go to a car wash.

i've taken it in four times for the leak. each time they give it back saying it's fixed, but each time it still leaked. doesn't matter now. they have voided my entire warranty mods and signs that it's been offroad.

fawk chrysler. i hope they go bankrupt and disappear.

jeepster
01-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Signs that it's been off road, what the hell do we buy jeeps for anyway.

09JK
01-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I just took a fellow co-worker over to the dealership here to help him into a Jeep....they were offering fully loaded 4 door Jeep Rubicons for $28,800 out the door which is $1500 less than I paid for my 2 Dr new 6 months ago! But they also offered a fully loaded 2009 Sahara with dual tops, Euro light guards, fuel door, tow hooks front and rear, running boards for $26,700.

Hopefully they will give you a good deal....dont forget dealer returning customer rebate, Military if you are, and end of year rebates for the 08 models! Unfortunately it's after New Years Eve...they were giving a $2500 dealer cash incentive to buy on New Years Eve!
Very true they are giving some smoking deals I looked at an 08 fully loaded Rubi unlimited $29000 an 08 Sahara Unlimited $25000 But turned cheap and got the 09 2 door X for $15999 But was Jan 2 and I just got the paperwork and it says purchased 12/31/08 LOL so i must have got the discount...

jeepster
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Well the good news is Chrysler is going to give me my down payment and all my payments plus interest. I really did'nt think it would go this far. Guess I'm going shopping.

JohnnyWalker
01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
No leaks, but my passenger freedom panel will somehow get water in it after a heavy rain. The sloshin' sound drives me nuts until I pull the panel off and let it drain.

PhilD
01-20-2009, 05:14 AM
I use my 2007 hard top 2-3 months of the year during Winter. I will occasionally see a couple of drops around the shifter if it sits in heavy rain for a long time, but that's it.

bodybrdng
01-20-2009, 06:06 AM
Top leaks..... Welcome to the Jeep world. Mine has leaked since day one. I am not worried about it..."It's a JEEP" :thefinger:

saltman
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Top leaks..... Welcome to the Jeep world. Mine has leaked since day one. I am not worried about it..."It's a JEEP" :thefinger:No it's a JK. Jeeps don't leak. Just JKs. My CJ, 4 TJs never leaked. 07 dual tops leaked constantly among other issues. lemoned. replaced with a 2009. It leaks too. Still don't believe the people that say they don't leak. I saw 4 leakers on the lot when I turned in my 07.

rubirobv
01-25-2009, 01:31 PM
No it's a JK. Jeeps don't leak. Just JKs. My CJ, 4 TJs never leaked. 07 dual tops leaked constantly among other issues. lemoned. replaced with a 2009. It leaks too. Still don't believe the people that say they don't leak. I saw 4 leakers on the lot when I turned in my 07.

I certainly agree that these things are put together sloppy, but my hard top never leaked and the ORH soft top has been on my Jeep since August and that has not leaked either. Except of course at the car wash with the high pressure washer, some gets under the soft top. It seems to be a problem particular to 07 JKs. If your 09 leaks, well that just sucks. I'd hammer on those bastages to get that fixed. Good luck.

RamJeep
02-22-2009, 10:29 AM
It sounds like the leaks are in a few different locations, could it be possible that the water is entering between the bonded seems in the composite hard panels and not going in through the rubber seals? I have heard a few people experienced a sloshing sound, that seems to indicate this problem, some panels may just let the water seep inside instead of sloshing around. Just a thought. BTW still no leaks.

XC4D4MD
02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
my '08 2-door hasn't leaked at all over the last couple months of heavy rain, but people are saying the problem starts with summer heat melting stuff and i just got mine in december, so i guess i'll see about that

mfx
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I just bought my 09 JK last week and all is well with regards to the leaky roof. I know it's way too early to tell if it's a leaker or not but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. BTW this is my first Jeep ever and I'm loving it so far. Beats the hell out of my 01 Escape which was giving me roughly the same MPG as this JK. Also, it's amazing how friendly other Jeep owners are, almost all other Jeep owners that pass me by on the road give a little wave.

N39-W120
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Lucky so far... My 08, just recently purchased, had been sittin gon the dealer's lot since Jan 2008... no signs of a leak when bought and no leaks running 70 in driving rain.

Duffy
02-27-2009, 06:29 AM
My top was leaking at the center of the windshield where the 2 panels meet (hard top). I got them seated just right and no leaks for months. Yesterday I went to grab some stuff out of the back "mini breadbox" and it had an inch of water in it. :pissed: I have to have my wife water the Jeep with a garden hose later while I sit in back and look for the leak. Best guess is it's coming through the rear window seal. Won't matter in the warm weather with the doors off and rag-top down, but I'll have the carpet out then and just pull the plugs. Having it buttoned-up for the winter, then finding out I have a fish pond in back ticks me off.

crypnite
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Have an 09 JK (build date dec 08) and haven't had any leaks. I've even pressure washed it a few times getting in the areas where it possibly would leak and nothing made it through. Not sure if it's just something to do with different builds and different materials, but no issues so far.

lohchief
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I have a new 08 2dr HT.No leaks yet.Winter here in sw oregon is our rainy season too,so maybe I got lucky.

TJsnewJK
03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Top leaks..... Welcome to the Jeep world. Mine has leaked since day one. I am not worried about it..."It's a JEEP" :thefinger:
x2 on that!! Come on guys its a jeep bad gas milelage,hard ride,leaks its all part of it

oz97tj
03-10-2009, 10:43 PM
I have an 09 and it seems like it's been a monsoon around here the last couple days. I drove about 3 hours yesterday in a storm that started as sleet and turned to heavy rain the farther south I got. I haven't gotten one leak at all.

usmcdoc14
03-11-2009, 04:29 AM

ya, cause my 67 CJ-5 did not leak, my 82 CJ-7 did not leak and both of those has soft doors as well.
My 07 with hard doors should sure as fawk NOT be leaking (and it is..or was..we will see)

LSM
03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I have had my 08 for over a year and not one leak for either the hard or soft top

dcj090
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Mine leaks a little. You know I finally found a use for the "sham-wow". My monther in law had a big one and I cut it in half. I keep them in the back of my Jeep and when it looks like rain, they get moved to the front on both sides. They work like magic. I just roll them up and squeeze them out. Everyone has downed the "Sham-wow", well I do not. The multi billion dollar auto industry cannot get it right, but the dam "Sham-wow" did. Taking orders if anyone would like to soak it up. Just kidding. I never bought this one, but I will get a couple more when these get old. :beer:

dougnpj
03-12-2009, 11:15 AM
What do you mean a leak? I was told by the dealer that the top is not covered under the bumper to bumper and @ 45000 I am SOL.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/dougnpj/DD.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/dougnpj/PD.jpg
:bawling::shaking::thefinger:

usmcdoc14
03-21-2009, 07:24 PM
you should smack your dealer.
mine is back for the 3rd time for the drivers side leak

jeepster
03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Your dealer is full of s#$t.

drumnatural
04-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I picked up my 09 JK in the rain. The only leak was on the door as I opened it. The water fell just like in the pic above. With the door closed, no leaks.

So I would look towards the rubber on the full door not sealing fully to the top.

The soft tops seem to naturally channel water towards the front doors.

mr_wes
04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
'08 Unlimited Rubicon here - I have had the panels off and on and have no leaks. Maybe the dealers or techs are more careful here - they know it is going to rain a lot.

ping46
04-21-2009, 07:21 AM
2009 Hardtop had a week left out in heavy rain leaks in on center console!! Back to the dealer!!!!!!!

Dr.Dirty
04-21-2009, 07:25 AM
What do you mean a leak? I was told by the dealer that the top is not covered under the bumper to bumper and @ 45000 I am SOL.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/dougnpj/DD.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/dougnpj/PD.jpg
:bawling::shaking::thefinger:

mines done that from the tinme i bought it :D

ITs a JEEP Thing

Broncojohn
04-21-2009, 07:56 AM
ya, cause my 67 CJ-5 did not leak, my 82 CJ-7 did not leak and both of those has soft doors as well.
My 07 with hard doors should sure as fawk NOT be leaking (and it is..or was..we will see)

My hard top doesn't leak, I didn't opt'd for the soft. I think they should go back to the full soft door that attached to the windshield. I never had any issues ('73 CJ5 and '85 CJ7 both DD), except in heavy wind the top of the doors would pull out and you could see the clouds. I never knew anyone who ran hard door on a soft top CJ, did that combo leak? My Bronco would leak with hard doors and soft top.