St. Johns County Off Road Park-Possible?! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: St. Johns County Off Road Park-Possible?!

H8T2W8T
12-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Anyone know how to setup an off-road park?

Long story short-today I was talking with a buddy that works for St. Johns county and he informed me that someone with the power wants to build an off-road park in St. Johns county.

The catch is that they have no clue how to go about this and the budget being what it is would require a lot of volunteer labor to make this happen.

Any insight into this would be helpful. Iím all about this since right now the only wheeling we can do is on private land and that is growing smaller everyday.

bfj aka tambil
12-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Just pm me his email or give him mine, and I will see what I can do.
I can generally gather information rather quickly once I know the details of a project and the goals and constraints.

H8T2W8T
12-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I'll get the info today and pass it along. Thanks:beer:

karnuvore
12-28-2008, 01:58 PM
FWIW - they tried to start up a OHV park here in polk county and even went so far as advertising it on web pages and boards. Didnt work out. Guy could NOT get insurance.

So last month when I was up @ hard rock I asked him about his insurance. He told me "I dont have any. I figure if they come here, they know the risks." Brave soul (I told him that too).

That's extent of my knowledge about what it takes.

karnuvore
12-28-2008, 02:05 PM
right now the only wheeling we can do is on private land and that is growing smaller everyday.

How far are you from Osceola Ntl Forest? From the pics Ive seen - it looks at least interesting and at best a mudfest.

idrivejeep
12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Anyone know how to setup an off-road park?

Long story short-today I was talking with a buddy that works for St. Johns county and he informed me that someone with the power wants to build an off-road park in St. Johns county.

The catch is that they have no clue how to go about this and the budget being what it is would require a lot of volunteer labor to make this happen.

Any insight into this would be helpful. Iím all about this since right now the only wheeling we can do is on private land and that is growing smaller everyday.

If you need letter writing support to put some pressure on politicians or something like that, let us know. I'd be glad to help and I'm sure a few others on here would be willing to help out too.

StubEXrube
12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I have been wheeling at a number of venues in Texas that I am SURE, didn't have insurance. They did use liability waivers signed/ dated, etc...to stay out of legal complications. I have no idea if this is an acceptable loophole or not- just offering up a possible solution to get this thing going without incurring astronomical insurance costs. Good luck you guys.

karnuvore
12-28-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been wheeling at a number of venues in Texas that I am SURE, didn't have insurance. They did use liability waivers signed/ dated, etc...to stay out of legal complications. I have no idea if this is an acceptable loophole or not- just offering up a possible solution to get this thing going without incurring astronomical insurance costs. Good luck you guys.

I have a buddy who is a concert promoter/festival organizer. He says that those waivers arent worth the paper theyre printed on. He has one festival that is his "own" that he's done for the last 20 years and he (every year) takes his chances by not getting insurance and not bothering w/ the waivers. He tells me that every lawyer he talked to told him waivers were useless (granted, he is friends w/ EVERYONE and the lawyers he talked to were friends - not paying them).

I have no idea how that translates to OHV parks, but if I was a betting man, Id say it's the same ball park.

rooster
12-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Well I can tell you what I know from working on Jeep Beach. In past years we got insurance for about $400 or so for the weekend because it was considered a "picnic". However we were required to have a one million dollar policy for Jeep beach 09 at Daytona Speedway. Cost - about 2 grand for 1 day!

So good luck trying to get one open. Chance it like Hardrock or have deep pockets. Well either way I guess you'll need deep pockets. Karn, your right. Our attorney and officials at Daytona said those waivers are a waste of a good tree.

H8T2W8T
12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Guys, just to refresh your memory-the park would be a county run facility-not a personal business. This is at least so far what I have been told. I'll post more when I find out. As it stands the "HNIC" wants to put a park in, but is unsure how to go about it. That's why I asked for input from the good people here.:beer:

rooster
12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Well that adds a twist. If its run by the county then I would assume the local govenment would cover the costs and insurance. Either way it sounds like a pretty cool deal. I hope it happens.

H8T2W8T
12-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, the limited info I got was that it would indeed be a county run facility, however the budget to set it up would be very limited-requiring tons of volunteer labor to set it up. Without knowing any real specifics I couldn't say what type of setup help they would need. Just in my limited conversation it sounded like they would need input and labor to setup trails, o-course, mudpit, etc.