Adjusting Headlights [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Adjusting Headlights

gcg
10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Has anyone had the headlights on their JK adjusted? After my lift, mine are pointing skyward. I asked the dealership to adjust them when I had it in for servicing and they said that, on the JK, they can't be adjusted in the up and down direction, only side to side.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me but stranger things have happened. Has anyone else heard this or has anyone been able to adjust theirs to compensate for a lift?

nam6869usmc
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Has anyone had the headlights on their JK adjusted? After my lift, mine are pointing skyward. I asked the dealership to adjust them when I had it in for servicing and they said that, on the JK, they can't be adjusted in the up and down direction, only side to side.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me but stranger things have happened. Has anyone else heard this or has anyone been able to adjust theirs to compensate for a lift?

You'll see two little notches around the headlight in grill with a (I think #15 Torx) in that little hole. These are at 10:00 & 2:00. turn left(counter clockwise to bring down the beam).. Pull up behind your neighbor's car(approx 40 feet) & make sure they are not shinning in the mirror.

gcg
10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
You'll see two little notches around the headlight in grill with a (I think #15 Torx) in that little hole. These are at 10:00 & 2:00. turn left(counter clockwise to bring down the beam).. Pull up behind your behind your neighbor's car(approx 40 feet) & make sure they are not shinning in the mirror.
Thanks! I guess this was just a case of the guy at the dealership not knowing what the facts were!

Marauder
12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Just had mine done today guy said well i can adjust up and down but not side to side will it be ok with you to bring them down a bit .

gcg
12-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Just had mine done today guy said well i can adjust up and down but not side to side will it be ok with you to bring them down a bit .
Yeah, that's what I found, too. The advice by Nam6869USMC was right on. I ended up adjusting my own and they've been fine ever since.

BigO
12-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, that's what I found, too. The advice by Nam6869USMC was right on. I ended up adjusting my own and they've been fine ever since.

Nam mentioned the screws at 10:00 and 2:00. Do you turn both screws on each light counterclockwise to bring the beam down? Or just one of them?

I need to get on this. I've been getting flashed a lot lately...:devil:

nam6869usmc
12-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Nam mentioned the screws at 10:00 and 2:00. Do you turn both screws on each light counterclockwise to bring the beam down? Or just one of them?

I need to get on this. I've been getting flashed a lot lately...:devil:

Just turn one screw each light (counterclockwise to lower beam) facing the front of your JK, left passenger side is at (10:00) right Driver side(2:00)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/nam676869/headlite.jpg

BigO
12-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Just turn one screw each light (counterclockwise to lower beam) facing the front of your JK, left passenger side is at (10:00) right Driver side(2:00)

Damn, I guess I should have looked at my Jeep before posting that question. :shaking: I assumed you meant that you adjust 2 screws at each light. Thanks for your help nam6869usmc.

toadontheroad
12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
.. Pull up behind your neighbor's car(approx 40 feet) & make sure they are not shinning in the mirror.

Or, if you're a bit anal about these things:

Step 1: Park your vehicle on a level surface approx 25 feet away and perpendicular to a wall.

Step 2: Measure and mark on the wall the centerline of the vehicle (divide distance between headlamps), and the center lines of each head lamp as measured at the vehicle (little crosses should mark the wall in the same place the headlights would be if parked with bumper against the wall). You should have your headlights set to LOW beam to aim them. The high beams will automatically be adjusted.

Step 3: Using the Torx driver, adjust the screws in or out to adjust the lamp for your needs. When you're finished the 'hot spot' of the beam should be to the lower right quadrant of each light center. Approx 4" lower than the horizontal line and even, and 4" or so to the right of the vertical lines. This keeps the light on the road but also keeps you from blinding on coming traffic.

:beer:

paragon
12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Many modern headlamps have a single adjustment screw that will adjust the lamp down/in or up/out from just that single screw. The lamp will move at an angle on both axis with one adjustment. So some service guys will get confused and think there was supposed to be 2 adjustment screws.

PhilD
12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Many modern headlamps have a single adjustment screw that will adjust the lamp down/in or up/out from just that single screw. The lamp will move at an angle on both axis with one adjustment. So some service guys will get confused and think there was supposed to be 2 adjustment screws.I've seen that before.

For the JK I think US models only have one adjustment, vertical. For export models I believe they have both vertical and horizontal adjustment screws, that is of course if they don't have the leveling motors.

jkrubicon
12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
There is only one adjustment screw on most new vehicles. I adjusted mine down a couple days ago because I kept getting flashed at night, I put them back the next day because I couldn't see anything further than fifty feet in front of the Jeep on low beem. High beam wasn't to bad but low beem was just to dangerous to be driving with around here with all the deers in the road at night.