what does EPS feel like? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: what does EPS feel like?

Paul Bookbinder
12-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Traded a 2004 TJ for a 2008 JK. On wet roads I have to take turns much slower in the JK than I was used to from the TJ. One turn on the way home from work was safe at 45 MPH in the TJ, and at 40 in the JK I feel what I THINK is the rear end slipping out a little - never into a real slide, just enough to get the heart rate up. Am I really feeling a loss of traction, or is this my brain being confused by the EPS doing its job? I switched out the stock tires at 35,000 miles, and I get the exact same sensation with the new tires (running snows now).

thank you,

Paul

kerryp
12-12-2008, 07:13 AM
My mainly engages on left hand sweeping turns and when it does, it basically kills power to help control the turn so you feel a little jerking and a loss of power. I don't like it.

PhilD
12-12-2008, 07:13 AM
You should be able to tell if a vehicle is sliding or not, so more likely it is the ESP, does the ESP light come on?

You don't see if you have a 2 dr or 4 dr, both drive/handle differently to the the TJ, but the 4 dr is definitely a much different feel to driving a TJ.

mcnaught6
12-12-2008, 07:28 AM
if the esp is activating, the light in the dash will light up.

on the road, JK's are overall much more stable than TJ's were (of course this will depend on suspension/mods) because the JK's are a little wider and can fit larger tires with less lift.

you will know when the ESP kicks in. it is very obvious, not subtle. the throttle is cut, and your steering is somewhat corrected by the action of the computer braking specific tires more than others.

Alec W
12-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Itís a weird feeling and a little hard to describe. Itís nothing like a slide and it feels like the Jeep is taking control of different wheels at the same time. I donít like it and had it a lot when I first lifted my 4 door. Once I installed my Poly Performance high steer drag link it rarely happens anymore.

Paul Bookbinder
12-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. I don't know if the dash light goes on or not, I am watching the road when it happens! From what I read so far I really think it is a slight slide of the rear tires, but I will continue to read responses to see if other people have felt the same thing. thank you.

WTF_LOL
12-12-2008, 08:51 AM
yah, as they said, it is VERY distinct and you knwo that it is happening. TYhere is no question when it activates. YOu lose power so you start to slow and pushing on the gass does nothing. Do you know the feeling of ABS? it feels kinda like that happening on different wheels all at the same time. The vehicle jerks and I always am thankful once it is done that I diod not crash, lol. HOnestly, I feel like if it happened in a time where I really needed it, like ice or snow, that it would make me slide off the road. I feel unsafe when it happens

WTF_LOL
12-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Traded a 2004 TJ for a 2008 JK. On wet roads I have to take turns much slower in the JK than I was used to from the TJ. One turn on the way home from work was safe at 45 MPH in the TJ, and at 40 in the JK I feel what I THINK is the rear end slipping out a little - never into a real slide, just enough to get the heart rate up. Am I really feeling a loss of traction, or is this my brain being confused by the EPS doing its job? I switched out the stock tires at 35,000 miles, and I get the exact same sensation with the new tires (running snows now).

thank you,

Paul

**DISCLAIMER***this may sound crazy, and you can not hold me responsible if you die or crash and this is poor advice for anybody to follow

whenever I get a new vehicle, if there is something that feels a little awkward, I go drive the snot out of it. For example, if I was feeling the way you do about that corner, I would go out on a empty road and just recreate it and once I feel more comfortable I would go back and take that corner at like 60, lol. Chances are you wont die and it was just the way it "feels". then you get used t the diferent dynamics of the new vehicle. BAsically I just drive the hell out of a new rig for a while then evrything starts to feel right.

IDK though, who knows. MAybe there is something really rong with it and that advice above will kill you. Taht is just what I do and I have often had things with vehiclles that "feel" not write and in the end it turns out it was just me.

mcnaught6
12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the responses. I don't know if the dash light goes on or not, I am watching the road when it happens! From what I read so far I really think it is a slight slide of the rear tires, but I will continue to read responses to see if other people have felt the same thing. thank you.

i really doubt that it is the rear end sliding out from under you. it is really hard to do that without the ESP system kicking in to correct you.

Dustoff '68
12-14-2008, 07:34 AM
yah, as they said, it is VERY distinct and you knwo that it is happening. TYhere is no question when it activates. YOu lose power so you start to slow and pushing on the gass does nothing. Do you know the feeling of ABS? it feels kinda like that happening on different wheels all at the same time. The vehicle jerks and I always am thankful once it is done that I diod not crash, lol. HOnestly, I feel like if it happened in a time where I really needed it, like ice or snow, that it would make me slide off the road. I feel unsafe when it happens

Exactly as described...I had it activate numerous times last year in Maine, and once you know that it's happening, it can be a life saver...it's when it happens the first time that the novice says..."WTF"...after that, you know it works.

karnuvore
12-14-2008, 07:39 AM
When I take my Jeep into the dealership they ask me what the cut purple wire attached to the switch is for. "That's your ESP" I tell em.

StubEXrube
12-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Chances are you wont die...

:laughing2:

...they ask me what the cut purple wire attached to the switch is for. "That's your ESP" I tell em.

:laughing2: