X or Rubicon ? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: X or Rubicon ?

JeepMammouth
10-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Ok so i'm a total newbie. Never been off roading, seen plenty of video, talked to plenty of friends and i've been following many newsgroup for the last 6 months to see what's it's all about. It looks like a lot of fun and i've decided to get myself a JK. I'm ready to order a 2008. Great. Now what do I get?

I'm going for a 4 door for various reason. I've been wondering if I should get a Rubicon and build from that or buy and X and start from there.

What say you expert out there ?

I can do basic mecanics, my kid is taking a mecanics certification course now so we're not totaly useless and can do base mecanics. We don't mind getting some elbow grease and in fact, kinda enjoy-it. Just wondering what's the best way to go about it.

Any advice?

toadontheroad
10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
My recommendation for you is to get an X with 6speed and a Dana44 locker in the rear.
I say this because:

1. Saves alot of money
2. D44 gives you some off-roading power so you can get a feel for it
3. Since you're not adverse to wrenching, as you drive, you learn - you'll hear more guys over time talk about things you don't fully understand right now but later you will. Then you'll start to know what you want out of the vehicle and you can shop around, again learning about different products in the process.
4. After learning a bunch and deciding what you do and don't like, and what you want to do with your jeep (rock crawl, mud, trail only, etc) you can now start to use some of that cash you saved during the initial purchase on MODS!! (see, I can learn from my wifes shopping trips - "see how much money I saved at this sale?")

I bought my Rubi because I've wheeled a bunch and knew what I wanted to do with it already. I've never owned a Jeep before, but I know what features I wanted on the vehicle. I also know I won't have the time for a couple more years to begin big modification projects. So the Rubi attributes will pacify me until my house remodel is done and I have more free time .:beer:

toadontheroad
10-26-2007, 04:36 PM
BTW, Are you by any chance NEAR Mammoth? One of my favorite places to go...EVER? Summer AND winter? That Mammoth? Or am I interpreting wrong:D

nam6869usmc
10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Well said Toad,....anybody that drives a Rubi off the lot has the best off the showroom stock Wheeler in the Country. I had different reasons buying the X, other priorities(Granddaughter), but I've learned so much about Modding / Upgrading and having so much gratification with each & every thing that I bolt on. I'm extremely happy with the X and it's become a part of me. This thing has way more capability than I'll give it, and I really think all 3 model's are awesome and just owning any JK is great and will "Getter Done". Good luck with your Decision.

JeepMammouth
10-26-2007, 06:37 PM
BTW, Are you by any chance NEAR Mammoth? One of my favorite places to go...EVER? Summer AND winter? That Mammoth? Or am I interpreting wrong:D

It's about Mammoth (the place) and Mammoth (the beast). Glad someone finaly caught on that ;-).

Poor Boy
10-29-2007, 10:07 AM
i'm with toad. i got the rubi because i've busted enough knuckles on my TJ. the idea is to have most of my work done for me in the factory. building an X from the ground up is an awesome father / son project. and on the jk-forum site, someone is selling a 5.7l hemi (minus tcase) with harness and ecu for $1800. that'll go a long way in scooting the 4dr along....

of course, i'm already dreaming of my 37" tires...which means i've got some work ahead of me...:beer: