Military lighting [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Military lighting

bodyguy
12-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Any one know where I can find a set of these
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/joekerrie/Stuff/0808_4wd_14_zjeep_wrangler_unlimite.jpg

SDMF
12-10-2008, 07:18 PM
If you do find them, let us know. I asked one of the jeep guys when I saw this jeep at EJS and he was no help. :shaking:

Jay EE P
12-10-2008, 07:36 PM
That looks like an M151 blackout lense, you can find them at http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/blkoutlense.htm

Hope thats what you're looking for.

Jay EE P.

Dr.Dirty
12-10-2008, 07:47 PM
That looks like an M151 blackout lense, you can find them at http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/blkoutlense.htm

Hope thats what you're looking for.

Jay EE P.

he beat me to it :D

bodyguy
12-11-2008, 04:56 AM
I thought it was a complete housing, Thanks

Alec W
12-13-2008, 07:41 AM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what do these blackout lights do?

StubEXrube
12-13-2008, 10:20 AM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what do these blackout lights do?

No idea of the benefit. I would guess that he is making his JK look as "military" as possible, so these would add to the nostalgic appearance. JMO

mcnaught6
12-13-2008, 01:53 PM
do they replace the blinker and make it a foglight, or is it just a different cover for the blinker?

PhilD
12-18-2008, 06:21 AM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what do these blackout lights do?They allow for a small amount of forward light in a directed pattern. This allows you to run at night with limited lighting, but enough to see where you are going, without overtly signaling your position to the enemy.

paragon
12-18-2008, 06:36 AM
there's 2 styles/methods of running blackout lights. Older vehicles ran lights that, as Phil stated, only allow a minute amount of directed light just in front of the vehicle. A convoy of trucks with glaring lights are easy to pick out.

These days, blackout kits are filters that only allow infrared out and you only can see with NVG just as if it was normal headlights.

Alec W
12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
So unless you want to hide on a trail they are fairly useless for trail riding ;)

Of course, even with huge off roads lights Phil got a bunch of us totally lost on Fins and Things in Moab a couple of years ago :laughing:

PhilD
12-19-2008, 03:25 PM
So unless you want to hide on a trail they are fairly useless for trail riding ;) :D :D :D That's about it.

Of course, even with huge off roads lights Phil got a bunch of us totally lost on Fins and Things in Moab a couple of years ago :laughing:I wouldn't say "lost", more of a "tactical rethinking of the route" :D

bodyguy
12-19-2008, 05:55 PM
So unless you want to hide on a trail they are fairly useless for trail riding ;)

Of course, even with huge off roads lights Phil got a bunch of us totally lost on Fins and Things in Moab a couple of years ago :laughing:

Yeah they are completely useless I just want the look since I will be painting the jeep OD green, goin for the military look