Opinion & Question on dash parts [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Opinion & Question on dash parts

Jason @ Warrior
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm working on a new part (by request) and I am wondering what the interest on it is gonna be like.

Basically, its a simple 4 piece aluminum dash panel overlay. Top piece to cover the radio area, middle for the vents, second middle for the heater controls, and bottom for the 12v outlets and buttons.

It'll be available in .063 aluminum, brush textured, diamond plate, and black diamond plate.

Would this be a product of interest to you? Honest answers are ok. Personally I think the brushed looks pretty decent, and breaks up all the plastic in the Jeep.

Second, a question. I am working on an 08 Rubicon with a 6 speed and power windows with the standard cd player, and I am wonder how the other dashes will vary, from automatics to standard windows (got that one figured out im sure), to the mygig stuff. Pictures of your center dash would be greatly helpful.

PhilD
12-09-2008, 11:04 AM
It wouldn't be for me, but the overlays that look like they are not overlays are the ones that look the best in my view. When they look like stick-on overlays they look terrible in my view. Hope that makes sense.

Alec W
12-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Not interested in an overlay myself but this pic may help. MyGig no power windows (ignore the 6 switches, I put those in).

http://www.myprojectjk.com/images/567_WinchWire01.JPG

SDMF
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Not my cup of tea, but you know there is a market for it.

Jason @ Warrior
12-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Not interested in an overlay myself but this pic may help. MyGig no power windows (ignore the 6 switches, I put those in).

That does help. It appears the mygig uses the same opening, so no changes will be made there, and it appears I was right in that the opening for power windows can just be removed.

Now I just need to see what the auto trans bottom piece looks like.

Not my cup of tea, but you know there is a market for it.

That's basically my feeling as well.

chromedome
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Check me again in say 20 years when my dash is cracked & faded :)

Alec W
12-09-2008, 01:40 PM
It appears the mygig uses the same opening, so no changes will be made there, and it appears I was right in that the opening for power windows can just be removed.
Yep. I screwed up a center stack with a drill bit. When I ordered a new one there were two choices with and w/o power windows.

What do you mean by the bottom auto trans bottom piece ?

Jason @ Warrior
12-09-2008, 02:16 PM
What do you mean by the bottom auto trans bottom piece ?

just from the 12 outlets/buttons to the center console. Its flat and about 5" tall on 6 speeds, are autos the same?

Here's some samples of what the pieces look like so far, they're not installed just loosely hanging there, hence the bulges on the sides and the gaps.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/travisroy/workjunk/2vs.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/travisroy/workjunk/s2vs.jpg

Alec W
12-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, it's the same lower dash pannel part. I swapped mine out for a DayStar switch pannel and both the replacement part and the OEM part are the same for manual or auto.

SDMF
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
That looks a lot better than I thought it would.

PhilD
12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
That looks a lot better than I thought it would.X2 Looks like it fits well.

beagsjeep
12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
There is some one on e bay that has color ones..pink,blue,chrome,ect..:smokin:

venom
12-20-2008, 01:23 PM
when I had my Harley Pickup, a lot of the guys were shipping dash parts to http://www.phoenix-image.com and having them coated
you can get any look you want from aluminum to burlwood or even flames and they do killer work
like phil said, it gets the look of an overlay without looking like an overlay

one of the truck vendors rounded up a couple of sets of dash/door/trim parts and offered a prepaid/core exchange deal
basically, you paid him for the coating service plus a credit card hold for the amount of the parts themselves, he sent the spare set to get coated, then sent them to you so you could install them and you sent him your stock parts back for a core, then he released the hold. That way you didn't have downtime waiting for the parts to get coated and I'm sure he had a deal with phoenix so he made a few bucks for his trouble.

just throwing out another option.