Front End Braking Wobble [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Front End Braking Wobble

Gordon2
12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Help.

'08 JK Unlimited X. Brand new 1400 miles.

Offroad 1 time in my dads backyard on Thanksgiving. Actually turned ESP off and in 2wd. Mainly drifting in the mud.

On my way to work this morning and at 75 mph I had to get into the brakes just a little more than normal...but nothing major.

Front end started vibrating really bad like out of alignment or something.

Is this the death wobble I keep hearing about or something else.

I have hit no curbs and have no reason to think I have damaged in any way.

It didnt happen at all on the way home.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

WTF_LOL
12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
if it is only happening when you brake it is probably a warped roter. Not unsusual for that to happen wheeling in the mud. rotor gets hot from braking then instantly cooled from water on the rotor.

Did you ever feel the vibration other then braking? If so, can you describe the wobble a little more including when it does and doesn't happen?

Does not sound like death wobble. probably something else. There is just a few different things that it could be, we just need a little more info to help :beer:

airric00
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Did it wobble when you slammed on the breaks... Like it was pulling back and forth? Or was it a vibration?? Mine would do that before I got it aligned correctly. It would get a bumpsteer/deathwobble or if I hit the breaks hard it would wobble all over the place... The alignment took care of it..

chromedome
12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
How familiar are you with ABS? If you've not experienced hard braking with ABS the first time can be disconcerting.:shocked:

Gordon2
12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
How familiar are you with ABS? If you've not experienced hard braking with ABS the first time can be disconcerting.:shocked:

Familiar with ABS, not that. Dont think it was the rotor warped as they never got that hot, and it wasnt that wet. Might be warped though, but not from me playing around on thanksgiving.

I gotto go to the dealer anyway, 1 of my lights on the interior has never worked, and it isnt the bulb.

I'll have them realign and check rotors.

Wobble is when moderately heavy breaking around 70-75 mph. Once below 63-65 it stops.

If I pump the brake during wobble, it also stops.

Sooper Dave
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Same thing happening on my 07 2 door. Noticed it after new tires and wheels. It only happens when braking and turning. Feels like brake shudder until you pump brakes. I have not figured it out yet. Any input would be appreciated, since the stealership doesn't have a clue.

CeeeJaySeven+JKU
04-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Same thing happening on my 07 2 door. Noticed it after new tires and wheels. It only happens when braking and turning. Feels like brake shudder until you pump brakes. I have not figured it out yet. Any input would be appreciated, since the stealership doesn't have a clue.

Your situation sounds different. If you got bigger tires or rims either one of those could cause a wobble. Wheels could be bad or tires could have been balanced wrong. If you changed to a mud tire, you could feel the knobby tread at lower speeds and while turning. Check to see it the clips between the rotors and wheel are removed.

Dancin Dan
04-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Your situation sounds different. If you got bigger tires or rims either one of those could cause a wobble. Wheels could be bad or tires could have been balanced wrong. If you changed to a mud tire, you could feel the knobby tread at lower speeds and while turning. Check to see it the clips between the rotors and wheel are removed.

Holy NECRO THREAD, Batman!

If the OP hasn't replaced that warped rotor by now, he probably dead.

EDIT:
Good suggestion though.

Panamon Creel
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
If the OP hasn't replaced that warped rotor by now, he probably dead.
Psst response was not to the OP, check the date on the quoted reply.