Head Rests Question [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Head Rests Question

AdamIsAdam
12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
On my new 2009 JK, the head rests are not vertical. They tilt forward and hit me in the back of the head. Other than up and down, do these things tilt forward and backward? I can't get them to move, but they look like they're leaning forward too much.

bodyguy
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Thats how they are

Steveqvs
12-02-2008, 04:44 PM
You also forgot to mention.... they are as hard as granite!

pastorsteve
12-03-2008, 03:30 PM
I can barely hit mine when I lean back. Mine don't lean that far forward - check your back angle. Maybe a little recline will help.

RamJeep
12-28-2008, 11:32 AM
The angle, being close to the head and stiffness is often for crash test results. Unfortunately itís always a struggle between rear impact safety and comfort when designing the headrests. For reduced whiplash and injury in a rear impact collision you would want the smallest rearward movement - pretty much the head in constant contact with the headrest - obviously uncomfortable. Some new vehicles are now using active headrests that move forward to reduce the heads rearward movement.
For head rest measurements they use a torso angle of about 25 degrees, actual drivers vary largely. I have mostly driven trucks with bench seats, if I set my Jeeps seat to a similar back angle (much more vertical) the head rest is uncomfortable. The further you tilt the seat back the further the head rest should move away from your head. It took me a bit but I am now use to the little extra lean.

AdamIsAdam
12-29-2008, 04:52 AM
We just took our first family trip in my Jeep and the wife is demanding different headrests! I actually found replacement headrests with the DVD players in them. I also recall reading that other, older Jeep seat head rests will fit. So I'll have to start looking around now. Maybe I can find one that looks halfway decent.

Yes, with the seat reclined more the rests aren't touching my head so much. But it is still annoying!

chromedome
12-29-2008, 09:22 AM
They are not head rests, they are head restraints.
If you need to rest your head while driving, stop at a motel.:beer:

AdamIsAdam
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
well, I was referring to my wife, the passenger. And yes, she wants a head REST. She hates restraints ;)

Eugene
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
They are not head rests, they are head stones!!!! The first mod I put on my Jeep was those little travel pillowa you get at Target. They have an elastic strap that goes around the head-brick. They work well.

VaMan
12-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Ya'll must have some big heads....:jester:

mcnaught6
12-30-2008, 05:27 AM
if you get some neoprene seat covers, they will come with a cover for the headrest as well - giving them some nice padding.

gold knight
12-30-2008, 06:17 AM
if you get some neoprene seat covers, they will come with a cover for the headrest as well - giving them some nice padding.You beat me to it McNaught. We don't have seat covers yet, but I've read the same thing from several people who have them, no more problems.:D

As far as road trips go, we always carry our pillows so no problem with comfort when trying to rest the noggin;).