RECALL: 2009 JK Wrangler - Hood Latches [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: RECALL: 2009 JK Wrangler - Hood Latches

Lance
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
November 2008
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Customer Satisfaction Notification H38
Primary Hood Latches

Models
2009 (JK) Jeep® Wrangler
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles built from August 13, 2008 through October 02, 2008 (MDH 081317 through 100219).
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.

Subject
The two primary hood latches on about 7,300 of the above vehicles may have been incorrectly manufactured and could fail. A primary hood latch failure on one side of the hood can cause the hood to flutter on the affected side. If both primary latches fail, the hood can lift to the secondary hood latch position while driving.

Repair
Both primary hood latches must be replaced.
Each dealer, to whom vehicles in the notification were assigned, will receive enough hood latch packages to service about 20% of those vehicles.

Part Number Description CBB0H380 Hood Latch Package
Each package contains two hood latches.

1. Open the hood.

2. Remove the right (passenger side) primary hood latch fastener (Figure 1).

3. Remove and discard the hood latch assembly.

4. Install the new hood latch assembly.
NOTE: Be sure the anti-rotation tabs line up with the holes in the fender.

5. Install the hood latch fastener and tighten to 13 ft.lbs. (18 N·m).

6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 to replace the left (driver’s side) hood latch assembly.

7. Close the hood and verify that both latches operate properly.

Labor Operation Time
Replace right and left hood latches 0.2 hours

Dustoff '68
12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
wonder what the cost will be if one wishes to purchase outright...and what is the difference from these latches, and the ones installed on a '07 and '08 JK?

Alec W
12-01-2008, 05:22 PM
wonder what the cost will be if one wishes to purchase outright...and what is the difference from these latches, and the ones installed on a '7 and '08 latch?

I bet they cost more than the daystar ones. “Install the new hood latch assembly”. Sounds like the whole thing not just the rubber band and the bolts like with daystar.

skibum
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
c@$ksuckers. :pissed:

PhilD
12-09-2008, 09:07 AM
This sounds like a different issue to the usual hood flutter. It states that it only effects about 7,300 vehicles and the latches were manufactured incorrectly. I bet they are just replacing them with the regular latches.

brokenleaf
12-09-2008, 03:22 PM
This thread made me go out and buy the Daystar latches. It just sucks to see my hood bounce all over the damn place every time I drive on the freeway. Thanks Phil by the way.
Jeff

Grant211
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
so for shiitsngrins i told my dealership about the hood flutter. I did this while i was getting a oil change, so i had nothing to lose.

When i got the jeep back the service advisior said "the tech checked it out and said that they all do that"

On a side note, i saw a 2008 Demo SRT Cherokee for sale and it was only $32K and it got me thinking of a trade in:)

PhilD
12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Phil by the way.Thank you!

ProZack
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
The H38 recall list at $8.83 for a complete set.

Dustoff '68
01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I bet they cost more than the daystar ones. “Install the new hood latch assembly”. Sounds like the whole thing not just the rubber band and the bolts like with daystar.

Nope...$11.00 the pair...the rubber compound used feels harder, and less prone to stretch....2 minute fix from what I understand...

gt3073b
01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Just picked up the recall replacement latches today for $9 (pair) at the dealer. The parts guy told me they aren't supposed to sell recall parts, but I told him about the hood flutter (which he'd never heard of) and he said OK. I haven't installed them yet, but I unlatched the old latch (so it wasn't under tension) and it is a full 1/4" longer than the new one. Unless the new one stretches and takes a set, I have no doubt this will fix the problem.

Bryan.

gt3073b
01-17-2009, 07:45 AM
After a few days of not having the right ratchet extension then not wanting to deal with knuckle-busting cold, I got them installed.

THESE KICK ASS

8.5 hours of driving yesterday at 75-80mph and not one little flutter no matter what the wind did or how close I was to 18 wheelers.

Easily the best $9 mod (ok, factory do-over) for the Jeep.

gt3073b
02-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Another update: They stretch. I drove 1000 miles this week and the hood bounces again. Not as bad as before but I have 72000 miles more on the old ones so I guess by then these will be about the same. I guess I need to pull the spring too.

Bryan.

AdamIsAdam
02-13-2009, 05:50 AM
They won't do mine under recall because my build date is 11/2008, but I just bought the parts anyway:
P/N: CBB0380
LATCH-HOOD
BIN: 117B4
LIST $9.71

It's not just the rubber, it appears to be the whole assembly.

AdamIsAdam
02-16-2009, 09:02 AM
well, after 150 miles the new ones showed NO signs of bounce. keep in mind my JK was bouncing from day 1, so this is not a stretch issue. I really think these new latches are stronger (or shorter).

oh, and getting a wrench inside the fender was NOT pleasant!

Don
04-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the Heads Up Lance.

:)

Bierhunter
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I bought my JK last December (4400 miles), and haven't had any problems with hood bounce....until yesterday. And it was quite unnerving even though I kept telling myself it would be ok.

According to my VIN, my jeep doesn't need any recall parts, etc.

I ordered the Daystars today. They have too many good reviews here, and I don't want to mess with buying the Mopar ones and risk it not fixing it.

Preacher
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I got the recall notice in the mail a couple of weeks ago but haven't done anything with it so far because I haven't had any issues with the original ones...

Then again, I just passed 1K miles this weekend so.....

RDM Offroad
04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
If anyone prefers the Daystar Hood Wranglers (http://www.rdmoffroad.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=293) over the factory parts I have them in stock. All current promos apply.

James

arahas
05-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Took my 09 sahara in for 10k service and 5 tire rotation yesterday.I was going to ask if it was on the recall list, but before i could they informed me that they had new latches to be put on due to recall. i must say they look beefier than the old ones, and it takes a bit more effort to latch them. I noticed less hood flutter when semis went by, time will tell if they keep working as good as they are now.

AdamIsAdam
05-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Update: I have nearly 9,000 miles now and it's been 3 months since I installed the replacements and no hood bounce. I also removed the spring.

LATCH-HOOD
LIST $9.71

dmhines
05-09-2009, 06:44 AM
They won't do mine under recall because my build date is 11/2008, but I just bought the parts anyway:
LATCH-HOOD
LIST $9.71

It's not just the rubber, it appears to be the whole assembly.

Mine was built in 11/2008 as well .... so your JK didn't already have the new latches installed? Do they look beefier than the originals?

AdamIsAdam
05-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Mine was built in 11/2008 as well .... so your JK didn't already have the new latches installed? Do they look beefier than the originals?

My JK didn't have the new latches. Both online and dealer told me my JK wasn't part of the recall. The new latches LOOKED the same, but they are CLEARLY stronger. I can tell when I latched it and the hood flutter was eliminated. Best $9 i ever spent. :bounce:

07JeepJK
07-31-2009, 06:22 AM
After reading this and having the same problems with my hood on my 07, I decide to go down to the local Jeep dealership and question them about this.... Well the woman in the service dept keep telling me that it wasn't a recalled part with my VIN # that I would have to bring it in a drop it off. I looked at her and said, "just point me in the direction of the parts dept." I don't have the time to drop my Jeep off to them for them to tell me that its a "normal" thing that they all do it... Anyways, at the part desk the guy couldn't find the part from the number I got above (CBB0380). He looked around in the computer and finally found the correct part number, which is (CBB0H380) with the added "H" he was able to find the part and I got out of there with my new latchs for $8.83. They were a pain like others said to install but hopefully they solve the problem. Ill keep an update..
Below is a pic of the new (left) vs. old (right)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/96jeepxj/Jeep%20JK/hoodlatch.jpg

johnmcd
08-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Please keep us posted over the next few thousand miles. Good Luck

glwood
08-01-2009, 12:20 PM
If anyone prefers the Daystar Hood Wranglers (http://www.rdmoffroad.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=293) over the factory parts I have them in stock. All current promos apply.

James

These are an excellent option also. I got a set of these a couple of weeks ago, they are a bit pricier, $25 vs. $9, but the install is a snap. You don't have to unbolt the bottom bracket from the fender, which some have had issues with. Once the Daystars are on, there will be no more hood flutter.

jkruss
08-02-2009, 04:55 AM
Take out the hood spring.

Born2run
08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Nope...$11.00 the pair...the rubber compound used feels harder, and less prone to stretch....2 minute fix from what I understand...

BTW- Dustoff your attachements don't work. Just some number thats it.

07JeepJK
08-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Just an update... Took it on the interstate and no more hood movement... Hopefully it keeps it up... :) If not guess I'll go with the Daystars...

Jackalripp
09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
I installd the Daystar hood latches on mine and they don't allow any hood movement. It looked like my hood was going to come off when I passed a Semi on the highway.

Dancin Dan
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I installd the Daystar hood latches on mine and they don't allow any hood movement. It looked like my hood was going to come off when I passed a Semi on the highway.

I don't get it. If it's not allowing any movement, how did it look like it was gonna come off?

**Tapping my sarcasm meter** :shaking: Is this thing on?

chasinternet
09-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I don't get it. If it's not allowing any movement, how did it look like it was gonna come off?

**Tapping my sarcasm meter** :shaking: Is this thing on?

Does the meter read right to left?

redneckjk
09-25-2009, 06:23 AM
the daystar latches are my favorite mod. that hood flutter drove me nuts( wife says a short trip ). prime example of the cheap crap they build our automobiles with. if the rubber compound in the new OEM latches are the same as the old, i bet they stretch and start moving. mine got worse seemed like every trip. it had started fluttering at any speed over 60. installed the Daystars and problem fixed, 4000 miles or so and no more flutter. course if these stretch and start to flutter, i get to bash daystar:laughing:

AdamIsAdam
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
My "recall latches" now have nearly 18k on them without a flutter. I drive on busy highways with lots of semi's. The only other thing I did was remove the spring.

09rubicon
11-21-2009, 08:59 AM
I had mine replaced under the recall (i was one of the lucky 7300). So far about 2500 miles on them and no more bounce. I let the dealer do mine for me (hey it was free), great service department, to bad Chrysler shut them down since.

Highrlr
01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Ok, An instant fix for your hood jumping. I was shown this by a guy at EJS in Moab Utah last year. And trust me it works. And only cost a few cents. Ok take a 13" black wire tie, open your latch and feed it behind the latch. You may need to us a pair of needle nose pliers to catch the end when it comes out. Put the end through the lock or end and cut off just about an inch. This keeps the rubber from stretching. And you can't even notice they are there. Now if you are in a cold climate understand they may break. Just put on a new one. Any questions just ask i'll help ya. And yes it does work. I have had them on mine since last April in Moab. Love the fact that I have NO hood jump!!!

pizzaman
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
the daystar latches are my favorite mod. that hood flutter drove me nuts( wife says a short trip ). prime example of the cheap crap they build our automobiles with. if the rubber compound in the new OEM latches are the same as the old, i bet they stretch and start moving. mine got worse seemed like every trip. it had started fluttering at any speed over 60. installed the Daystars and problem fixed, 4000 miles or so and no more flutter. course if these stretch and start to flutter, i get to bash daystar:laughing:

yea i have the same ones and love them except....

theyre so tight they pull your hood forward. not enough to really be bothered by, but it does pull it. i can see my hinges slightly bent forward and my hood and fender dont exactly match up any more. someone did warn me of this when i got them tho. but...

the hood stays put on the highway so its a good trade off.

Bimmer335
02-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Ok,
so I read all these post and called my dealer and said I was scared shitless blah blah blah gave them the recall number.
Mentioned I worked for chrysler, and they looked up my VIN, they said it did not fall under the recall BUT I was still under warranty so they
ordered the parts and I have an appointment on wednesday. ;)~

AdamIsAdam
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Ok,
so I read all these post and called my dealer and said I was scared shitless blah blah blah gave them the recall number.
Mentioned I worked for chrysler, and they looked up my VIN, they said it did not fall under the recall BUT I was still under warranty so they
ordered the parts and I have an appointment on wednesday. ;)~

Mine was "outside the recall" and I had to buy the replacement parts for $9. But it made a HUGE difference (so much for the recall list of VINs being accurate).

Hey, on another note, your user ID isn't correct. It says you own a 335 BMW ;)

DMC
02-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I have a 09. Got the recall and had them replaced. Worked for a couple of months and back to hood flutter. Looks like Daystar here I come. :bawling:

Jeep~Rebel~Chick
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
so I took my jeep in today for the "shutter" issue and while I was there I figured I would ask them to replace my latches. I explained to the retarded service manager my issue, about the hood almost getting ripped off every time a big rig passes me! i told him that my jeep isnt included in the recall, but since its under warranty to replace them. he tryed to tell me there was no recall or issue with them. he also told me there was no issue or recall issue on the shutter problem! so I left the dealership with the same shitty latches and the shutter. what can I do? just because I am a girl, I have no clue???

X-Man
02-26-2010, 08:17 PM
so I took my jeep in today for the "shutter" issue and while I was there I figured I would ask them to replace my latches. I explained to the retarded service manager my issue, about the hood almost getting ripped off every time a big rig passes me! i told him that my jeep isnt included in the recall, but since its under warranty to replace them. he tryed to tell me there was no recall or issue with them. he also told me there was no issue or recall issue on the shutter problem! so I left the dealership with the same shitty latches and the shutter. what can I do? just because I am a girl, I have no clue???

Go the Daystar route and be done with it. I installed them last summer. My hood hasn't even shivered since then. :smokin:

Jeep~Rebel~Chick
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM
where do I get a pair of the Daystars? I seen them on 4 wheel parts site for $25. is there any cheaper?

PhilD
02-28-2010, 06:18 PM
where do I get a pair of the Daystars? I seen them on 4 wheel parts site for $25. is there any cheaper?$25-30 is the going rate, you won't find them much cheaper.

ynkedad
03-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Yep. Quadratec has'em for $24.99. :beer:

Good investment!

SoK66
05-13-2010, 05:13 PM
I have a 09. Got the recall and had them replaced. Worked for a couple of months and back to hood flutter. Looks like Daystar here I come. :bawling:

Mine is an '09, July '08 production. Too early fro the campaign, or so said the dealer. However, they replaced them under warranty. The problem soon came back. Best fix is 1) use a couple of tie straps to cinch them down, 2) order teh Daystars. Done.

Fnord5
05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
I have it, but I wonder, what is the real risk of the hood coming loose?
Has anyone had it happen?

Or is this just a, "I don't like it, must get it fixed" thing?

Born2run
05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Mine is a 08 and the factory ones were replaced twice. Good first few weeks and then they would start lifting again on the highway. Dumped them and got the Daystar's and no more problem since they were installed.

PhilD
05-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I have it, but I wonder, what is the real risk of the hood coming loose?
Has anyone had it happen?

Or is this just a, "I don't like it, must get it fixed" thing?The hood latch "should" prevent the hood coming loose. It is an annoyance thing more than anything else, watching the hood rattle away.

pizzaman
05-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Mine is an '09, July '08 production. Too early fro the campaign, or so said the dealer. However, they replaced them under warranty. The problem soon came back. Best fix is 1) use a couple of tie straps to cinch them down, 2) order teh Daystars. Done.

buy the daystars and be done. for the extra 16 bucks or whatever its much better than waiting for the mostly same but just newer ones to wear out again.

i know i said the daystars have pulled my hood forward, but who knows. with as many problems as the jks are prone to, whos to say the hood lined up with the fenders perfectly to begin with

seriously, the daystars are one of the best things ive done so far. hood doesnt even think about moving!

get them from phil. support vendors :bounce:

AdamIsAdam
05-28-2010, 03:24 AM
I'm beginning to wonder about the parts that are being used on your Jeeps for those of you who have had them replaced only to experience the shake again. perhaps the dealers aren't using the updated latches? I say this cause I replaced mine myself with the latches from the recall. I got them from the parts counter by part # aa stated elsewhere on here and have not had an issue in 30k miles in 18 months. $9 spent.

jk_techcrash
05-28-2010, 05:26 AM
Couldn't agree more. You know my previous latches were fine but did the recall anyway thinking they had found a superior or at least better performing part. Not the case, I want my old latches back.

gold knight
05-28-2010, 05:58 AM
FWIW this recall doesn't necessarily fix the hood flutter. It specifically replaces a bad batch of latches that were prone to break in two.:beer:

alt_phil
06-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Darn, I seriously JUST had to replace one of my hood latches!

It just broke right off...

... when I hit that tree.

Friday2322
10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
FWIW this recall doesn't necessarily fix the hood flutter. It specifically replaces a bad batch of latches that were prone to break in two.:beer:

Like mine on my 2010? Mine snapped in two going down the highway at 70 when I met a semi going the other way. The guy at the stealership said about 10 other JK's had been in with the same problem.:shaking:

SoK66
10-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Dealer replaced mine and the new ones were same as the old ones. Got some of those Daystar things and they were so tight they were going to bend the hood. A club member gave me a deal that goes under the catch on the radiator support for the hood hook, works but is held on with a zip tie. Just saw a deal where it was installed using two thin hose clamps.

woodweavil
11-15-2012, 06:34 AM
1/2 square tubing attached in the latch position works great! But you have to release the latch from the grill instead of under the front of the hood like normal!

I'm on my 3rd set now! And they are needing replaced!