Full tube fenders! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Full tube fenders!

Cooters Off Road
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi, I'm Jason, owner of Cooters Off Road in Michigan. We've been modifying and building custom rigs for many years and would like to introduce this new custom mod for the JK, available now.

Not just a bolt on flare - fully replaces the fender!
More pics and contact info here: http://www.cootersoffroad.com/

Constructed of 3/16" plate and 1.5" x .120" DOM tubing. Provides the most protection you can get for the front of your JK. Matching full rear corners and rocker protection are in the design phase now.

Shown here with a 5" flare

jeepik
11-26-2008, 09:09 AM
dont you need a star in order to pimp your stuff here???

i like the mounting better then ORE's fenders

but your flares are hideous, do not follow the lines of the jk one bit

karnuvore
11-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Interesting.

SDMF
11-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Need, no. But other you will be encouraged to sign up for the yellow star. :grinpimp:

Cooters Off Road
11-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I'll look into the yellow star. I noticed others posting without one.

As far as the lines of the flare. That would be a simple modification. These particular flares were done at the customers discretion.

The main reason these were designed was to address the weak mounting of other available "bolt on" flares, which in my opinion, add little to no protection or strength to the front of the JK.

These fenders also are higher and some tub modification is needed to install them. This allows for tires 37" and larger to be used.

-Jason

SDMF
11-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Cool fender, but I don't care for the shape of the flair.

karnuvore
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
I like them. But if you do tear em up on a rock - you gotta replace a LOT more. But I do like em.

SDMF
11-26-2008, 09:34 AM
I like them. But if you do tear em up on a rock - you gotta replace a LOT more. But I do like em.

I just don't like the multi angle on the flair - I like them basically with a single bend.

JR
11-26-2008, 09:46 AM

As far as the lines of the flare. That would be a simple modification. These particular flares were done at the customers discretion.

The main reason these were designed was to address the weak mounting of other available "bolt on" flares, which in my opinion, add little to no protection or strength to the front of the JK.

These fenders also are higher and some tub modification is needed to install them. This allows for tires 37" and larger to be used.

-Jason

Yellow star to sell things, promote product.

To announce new stuff entering the market and discuss/review is allowed without a yellow star, but honestly this is a great place to start selling, so a yellow star is a great idea. There's also a very fine and controversial line between those two worlds. I know Jason @ Warrior announces stuff on here, but refers people to me and quadratec to do the selling since we are sponsored and retail that product line.

All in all I like the idea. Making a full replacement fender is definitely something that should be done rather than making the flare.

I do however think the design cries out for some refinement.

Cooters Off Road
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Yellow star to sell things, promote product.

To announce new stuff entering the market and discuss/review is allowed without a yellow star, but honestly this is a great place to start selling, so a yellow star is a great idea. There's also a very fine and controversial line between those two worlds

All in all I like the idea. Making a full replacement fender is definitely something that should be done rather than making the flare.

I do however think the design cries out for some refinement.

Thanks,

I agree, as with any new product, improvements can be made. I'll definetly consider any constructive criticism posted. These are the first any only set in existence so far and they where built in collaboration with the customer and how he wanted them to look. I posted here just to let it be known that a JK full front fender can be done and there is another option out there.

-Jason

Big A
11-26-2008, 10:20 AM
These have potential!!!

Have you figured out a price point for these?

Will they be painted or rhino lined?

What would be the best way to have these done? Drop off the Jeep, And have them custom fitted?

Thanks for another option!

JR
11-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks,

I agree, as with any new product, improvements can be made. I'll definetly consider any constructive criticism posted. These are the first any only set in existence so far and they where built in collaboration with the customer and how he wanted them to look. I posted here just to let it be known that a JK full front fender can be done and there is another option out there.

-Jason

What are the tub mods required?

I can offer some constructive criticism here. I'd agree that the overall look of the tubework needs revision as stated by others.

Also, try to keep the design flowing with ease of installation in mind. These new Jeep owners are very hesitant to cut into their Jeeps much more than just drilling a few holes.

seer
11-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Agree, interesting. Still holding out for legal fenders though. As much as folks on forums like skinnies, the staties like'em wide. Any thoughts on the rears yet?

Cooters Off Road
11-26-2008, 10:55 AM
So far, these are not an item that can be user installed. There is a modification to a body mount that needs to be done. Some trimming of the tub at the back of the wheel well, removal of the factory fender bracket, and welding to install threaded inserts in place of the clip in nuts where the factory sheet metal installs. The upper corner where the side panel is attached to the cowling across the wiper mechanism, quite a bit of work behind there as the original design has the peice spot welded to the side panel.

I mean no offense by stating that these fenders are targeted to the hardcore wheelers. Those not afraid to cut weld or otherwise modify there new Jeep way beyond the point of no return. These are not nor will be a bolt on item and there is no going back. The Jeep in the photos is destined for new D60's, stretching the wheelbase, 37" tires, front and rear bumpers, full cage tied to the fame, rear full corners and rocker protection, just to state a few upcoming mods.

So for those stating they don't like the way they "look", looks are not the purpose of this mod. It is purely function. Though if you are going for a look, anything is possible as these are totally custom and we have the capability to make them look anyway you want.

And yes, for a set of these fenders the Jeep must be brought to the shop.

-Jason

RotorHead
11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Nice design. Too bad you are so far from Georgia. I too would prefer more of a rounded line, but I don't think they look bad now. They're definitely not hideous, as was stated above. Keep up the good work and post pics as the project develops.

brokenleaf
11-26-2008, 11:28 AM
From looking at the pictures, it looks like there is a frame tie-in at the front. Is that included in your fender design? Do you use a poly mount? I think that is a must to have so any hits don't transfer back exclusively on the tub and cause doors to not open, etc. I have to say that I have been holding out for something like this and I have NO problem cutting my new Jeep up beyond the point of no return. I think you should consider selling this as a fabricators / builders kit for those that can weld, cut and grind.

FWIW... I like the fender design on the top being flat like a TJ. The curve could flow a little better like others stated. I look forward to seeing more about this. :beer:
Jeff

HITMONEY
11-26-2008, 11:54 AM

-Jason

Just to balance things out.. I run the the ORE EVO Armor "Bolt On" tube fenders/armor, and by no means are they weak in any way shape or form... in fact I would probably knock the body off the frame if I hit something at speed before I ever ripped one off.

I cannot speak for other manufactures, but ORE I can.

I like that yours is a full replacement piece, but I also am not a fan of the fender's lines.. but like you said.. that can be changed.

Nice product.. good luck with it!

Cooters Off Road
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, the ORE EVO units provide much more protection. I was referring more to the style that only replaces the flare.

bodyguy
11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
how much with shipping for just the fender no flare? I am fully capable of making my own modifications to the body no offense but thanks

Benchmark Designs Inc.
11-27-2008, 09:57 AM
I like the fenders. The challenge is, if they're not easily installed by the customer then they fall into the category of custom fab not "product".

Cooters Off Road
11-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I like the fenders. The challenge is, if they're not easily installed by the customer then they fall into the category of custom fab not "product".

Yeah, your right there. Likely causing a little confusion calling it a "product"

Note: I revised the first post to better represent this.

-Jason

ghostdancer308
11-28-2008, 03:30 AM
This is what I have been waiting for! PM'ing you.

TrailJK07
12-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Well i got to test them a little, handle impact of a deer, handle smacking trees nicely and great conversation peice. I love them! the flare is bent to match the inner tube and the inner tube was one of the hardest parts, so to make the flare on the outside "flow" the inside could not of been cut out as much as it is, they are cut as high as you can go without structure modifacations to the inner fender? take ur fenders off you will understand. Also they are cut as far back as possible without cutting into the floor and having to add a new part to the floor of the tub. Everyone has there own opinion and i like to hear everyones thoughts. thanks for the kind words!

PUDDLZ
12-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I like the CURVE of my fenders,also

Laid her sideways on the wedge, only scratch's reported,
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/greg_hoffner/DSC_0002.jpg

vegasjeep
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM

i like the mounting better then ORE's fenders

but your flares are hideous, do not follow the lines of the jk one bit

OREs do the same thing with the double bend now....