Picking the right 2 door 2008 [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Picking the right 2 door 2008

CodyB4C
10-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Alright, on the new 2008 jeeps the base models come with a dana 44 standard and a 3.73 gear option. They also have the option of these:
Trac-LokŪ Limited Slip Rear Differential
Tru-LokŪ Electronic Locking Rear Differential
Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect

I wanted to get a 05-06 rubicon because of the dana 44's and lockers but the 08's x jeeps have these new options on the X models plus a dana 44 rear stock so I am sold on those.

Do you all think the electronic locking rear is worth it or should I just get the tru-lock (whats the difference I think the tru-lok is just like posi tac or limited slip?)? Heres what I have chosen so far: Silver, 2 door, 6-speed, hardtop power everything package, 3.73

thanks in advance im pretty confused on this one.

MichaelW
10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
A locking differential is better in most off road situations where one tire or the other may actually be on a surface and have traction. The locked axle will actually get you unstuck as the tires will rotate whether you are on the ground or in the air.

A limited slip rear end will apply power to the side of the axle that has the most traction, right up to the point the clutch paks give way then you get nothing.

Limited slip is pretty good in the snow on a daily driver. Locked is generally better for off road.

So far so good on your other choices.

You are not too far away from a Rubicon package, how much are you saving by not getting the full Rubicon?

CodyB4C
10-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Their is about a 5k difference in price between the 2 I have built. So locker on a X is winning the battle over the RUBI. Has anybody had any problems with the Tru-LokŪ Electronic Locking Rear Differential and the Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect so far with lifts and tires? What do the dealerships say about the lifts do they void the warrenty? Do you all think I should settle for one on the lot at the dealership (without the rear locker) or just build one exactly how I want it ($1200 difference and 6 weeks at least to wait)? sorry for all the questions im ready to buy one.

RubyMtnRubicon
10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Look on lots around you and see if theres something close to what you want first. That 6 week wait is probably a little conservative, might be more like a 6 month wait. For $1,200 you might be better off getting what you want. Either way you will be happy.

CodyB4C
10-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah I already checked the ones close by, one didnt have any 2 doors the other only had 3 but all autos. Im gonna check out the last one that is close to tommorrow.

Monty
10-23-2007, 10:21 PM
if you're going to spend much time off road, get the locker. its a 1500 option IIRC but having a full locker vs a l/s is priceless when you get crossed up. JMO.

Gib
10-24-2007, 03:50 AM
I'm not exactly sure where in TX you are, but if you are anywhere near New Braunfels (sp?) you should check out Bluebonnet Jeep off the interstate. The internet sales guy, Greg is a good guy to deal with.

Oh, and definately go with the locker if you plan on wheeling it.

Jeepin Dad
10-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I have the electronic locker and sway bar disconnect on my '07 X and love it. The locker is nice to have but the disconnect is really sweet, while some of the guys I wheel with are having to get under their jeeps with mallets and have someone pulling up or pushing down on the front bumbper to get their discos to line back up all I have to do is push a button and it really smooths out the ride on the trail being disconnected. I haven't had any problems with it with my lift, 2" BB still on stock 32's. I wouldn't settle for one on the lot if it isn't exactly what you want 6 to 8 weeks on a 2 door X sounds about right for a wait time it would be a lot more if you were ordering a Rubicon.

Foo
10-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Go for the Rubi!

If you ever..ever want to go to 35's, have a 44 at each end is worth it alone, and the 4.11 for 08's is another plus.

You have to ask yourself is this a lifer Jeep, or do you plan on selling it in a few years. If it's a lifer, get all the goodies you can! You only live once, and with the lifetime power train warranty, it's be best getting the beefier stuff now.

:)